The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cmas123
Probably going to try for English Language and Literature at Magdalen. I've got a fairly wide base of reading, but I think whether I apply is dependant on my UMS Scores. Anybody know what levels exactly Oxford will be hoping for-- I've heard its a little lower for Arts than Science subjects, because of how subjective the marking of arts subjects is.

Aah I'm hoping for English Literature at Magdalen as well. Looking at your location as well I'm also from around the Lancaster area.... hmmm
Reply 721
Original post by haveabiscuit
Aah I'm hoping for English Literature at Magdalen as well. Looking at your location as well I'm also from around the Lancaster area.... hmmm

Looking at my username you can probably guess who I am? :P
Original post by cmas123
Looking at my username you can probably guess who I am? :P

I'm afraid not no... Do I know you?!
Original post by Lac.
Done that :tongue:

In that case start building up your keyboard skills with the Riemenschneider (however it's spelt) Bach chorales and figured bass. Also practise taking different pieces and finding as many things to analyse about them in 3-5 mins :yes:
Reply 724
Original post by haveabiscuit
I'm afraid not no... Do I know you?!

Oh right :L Which school are you at?
Reply 725
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
In that case start building up your keyboard skills with the Riemenschneider (however it's spelt) Bach chorales and figured bass. Also practise taking different pieces and finding as many things to analyse about them in 3-5 mins :yes:

Awesome! Will do :h:
Also, have just looked at the Blackwell's music website. :eek: I AM IN HEAVEN.
Hoping to go in for Medicine, what are the good colleges for med or is it more of a university thing?
Original post by cmas123
Oh right :L Which school are you at?

I go to boarding school! I live in Kirkby Lonsdale though so Lancaster is my closest town!
Going back to Oxford on a date on Thursday, SO excited! I think I'm being taken to a museum, no idea, but I'm so excited just to be back there again :heart:

My teacher is STILL persuading me not to choose Magdalen. I don't think it even matters that much with the new system!
Original post by such_a_lady
Going back to Oxford on a date on Thursday, SO excited! I think I'm being taken to a museum, no idea, but I'm so excited just to be back there again :heart:

My teacher is STILL persuading me not to choose Magdalen. I don't think it even matters that much with the new system!

Check out the Bod too! It's huge :smile: has every book you could ever want!

Ah why not? and what new system?
Original post by princess dora
what's wrong with Magdalen? :confused:

It's probably just the stereotype that Magdalen is only for upper-class private school students with connections to Oxford, a very old stereotype that really doesn't apply today, but some people (particularly older generations, teachers) still think it does. At the end of the day, apply to where you would like to be for 3 years, ignore all other opinion, if you deserve a place at Oxford you will get one, even if through the pool you end up at a different college to the one you anticipated! They are more alike than different! :smile:
Original post by princess dora
what's wrong with Magdalen? :confused:

If I were to go there, the absurd pronunciation would cause me no end of annoyance. Every time I'm telling someone which college I go to I'd want to rip my hair out in rage
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Check out the Bod too! It's huge :smile: has every book you could ever want!

Ah why not? and what new system?

Ooh okay, if we have time I'll suggest it to him :wink: We met in a bookshop to be fair, so it'll be right up his street, methinks.

Exactly what Niki_girl said. Well, in the last few years Oxford have been better about re-allocating places to good candidates who apply to over-subscribed colleges, but in the past they weren't, so you picked your college tactically. There are people on here who picked Hertford because it had a bridge = me picking anywhere I want, thanks :wink:
Reply 733
I'm definitely considering Oxford, no idea what college though haha, though I wanna do medicine.
I was thinking, surely with an open application your chances are greater? Or are you assigned to a random college as soon as you apply and your application is then treated as any other? Cos I was looking at some colleges and they were saying "we take 5-6 medics each year" and I thought, that's not a lot :s Thanks!
Original post by such_a_lady
Ooh okay, if we have time I'll suggest it to him :wink: We met in a bookshop to be fair, so it'll be right up his street, methinks.

Exactly what Niki_girl said. Well, in the last few years Oxford have been better about re-allocating places to good candidates who apply to over-subscribed colleges, but in the past they weren't, so you picked your college tactically. There are people on here who picked Hertford because it had a bridge = me picking anywhere I want, thanks :wink:

Ah silly me, I did not read the DATE part :wink: Thought you were just visiting, have fun!

Oh, I see now! Oxford always has a way of solving problems don't they.
Original post by loz876
I'm definitely considering Oxford, no idea what college though haha, though I wanna do medicine.
I was thinking, surely with an open application your chances are greater? Or are you assigned to a random college as soon as you apply and your application is then treated as any other? Cos I was looking at some colleges and they were saying "we take 5-6 medics each year" and I thought, that's not a lot :s Thanks!

With opens you're assigned to colleges that are not already full/over-subscribed. Don't know whether it makes your chance statistically higher, try their website for details.

Hey! don't complain, the intake for History and Economics is TWELVE, that's across all colleges, that's one per college for 12 colleges. 5-6 is pretty generous by Oxford standards.
With opens you're assigned to colleges that are not already full/over-subscribed. Don't know whether it makes your chance statistically higher, try their website for details.

Hey! don't complain, the intake for History and Economics is TWELVE, that's across all colleges, that's one per college for 12 colleges. 5-6 is pretty generous by Oxford standards.

The LSE course "Social Policy and Sociology" had in 2010, according to their prospectus, 88 applications for a single place (1.136% likelihood of successful application) compared to the 73 for 14 places for the same year of Oxford History and Economics (19.2% success rate) - while this may be due to the early application date (lack of organisation) and the fearsome reputation of Oxford (putting people off applying because they feel that they're not likely to get in), it's still rather ridiculous
Username: Bright Lights
GCSE (or equivalent): 10A*
A Levels (or equivalent): Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Geography A2 + Critical Thinking AS
Subject: Economics and Management
College: New College
Original post by dragonmeister
The LSE course "Social Policy and Sociology" had in 2010, according to their prospectus, 88 applications for a single place (1.136% likelihood of successful application) compared to the 73 for 14 places for the same year of Oxford History and Economics (19.2% success rate) - while this may be due to the early application date (lack of organisation) and the fearsome reputation of Oxford (putting people off applying because they feel that they're not likely to get in), it's still rather ridiculous

I don't see your point. We're talking about Oxford not LSE. And Social Policy is completely unrelated to History&Econ.

LSE is more competitive than it should be because a) it's in London b) more than 50% of applicants are from overseas c) bar economics, the number of students they can take are extremely low as they're not a big university.
Reply 739

Thanks!
12 :eek:?! Wow!
Kind of a reality check for me for how competitive it is!! If they think you're good enough but your college is already full, do they automatically reject you or could they consider you for another college?

Latest

Trending

Trending