The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Just to make sure, when drawing regression lines, the point goes through the mean, correct?
Original post by ChilliLemon
Do we need to know about explanatory variables????

Sort of. Remember it's an X-planatory variable, so on x-axis (independent variable)
The other is the response variable.
The only question I recall on exams is "which is the response variable?" Nothing high level.
Reply 722
If n is an odd number then you just use the value in the number position or if it's a decimal round up to next position value.

However, if n is an even number then you have to find the midpoint between the 2 values, e.g. If n is 30, Q2 is the sum of the 15th and 16th value divided by 2.

Hope this helps.
Original post by not_lucas1
So if the Q is a whole number you add 0.5 and use the mean of the values its between? and if its a rational number you round it and use that specific number?

Yes, but always round UP, not just round. That matters for Q1.
Reply 724
Original post by LewisClothier
Not quite sure if you understand how the tables work, I think you should try figure out a way of using them that works for you, maybe a bit late now :tongue:

Ok, if you were given a random probability and there are probabilities on the table, which are close to your probability value. Do you choose the Z value of the one which is the closest?
Original post by Mr T Pities You
Sort of. Remember it's an X-planatory variable, so on x-axis (independent variable)
The other is the response variable.
The only question I recall on exams is "which is the response variable?" Nothing high level.

Thanks very helpful!!
Can anyone summarise and clarify which reasonings we need to know? For example why are mathamatical models useful.
Original post by HK4
Can anyone summarise and clarify which reasonings we need to know? For example why are mathamatical models useful.

Chapter 1 of your textbook probably!
when doing normal distribution when do you use this table, my teacher only did like 1 example with it
Yep, and if you get a decimal round up and use that value.

Thankyou!!
What is the hardest S1 Paper i can do before i sleep???????????
Original post by SANTR
Ok, if you were given a random probability and there are probabilities on the table, which are close to your probability value. Do you choose the Z value of the one which is the closest?

Provided it's not on the 'small table', yes. It usually doesn't matter which z value you pick (the one above or below)
Provided it's not on the 'small table', yes. It usually doesn't matter which z value you pick (the one above or below)

When drawing lines of regression, do we draw it through the mean value?
when doing normal distribution when do you use this table, my teacher only did like 1 example with it

When given a probability above a z value (and you are trying to find the z value)
Look at the values for p though - there are only a few 'nice' probabilities in there.
If it's an ugly probability that you're given, you'll have to find it in the big table.
Key advice for any normal distribution question; draw a diagram!

When P(Z>z) = p so the shaded area is to the right of Z and you do not need to subtract from 1.
Original post by Zacken
Hopefully not. :tongue:

huh - a guy said you firmed warwick? oh hang on - if you got warwick and imperial; i guess you got oxbridge as well - in which case yh, hopefully i don't see you in warwick :wink:
Original post by arrow_h
When drawing lines of regression, do we draw it through the mean value?

Yes, (xbar, ybar) is on the regression line.
Original post by ChilliLemon
What is the hardest S1 Paper i can do before i sleep???????????

June 2014 (R) had the most tricky 'standard' questions; hate that paper. Jan 16 IAL wasn't a standard paper imo and tested understanding quite well; loved doing it.

I'd do both if I were you.
Original post by mollie1711
Thankyou!!

No problem, good luck tomorrow.
Original post by tazza ma razza
huh - a guy said you firmed warwick? oh hang on - if you got warwick and imperial; i guess you got oxbridge as well - in which case yh, hopefully i don't see you in warwick :wink:

Nah, I insured Warwick over Imperial. i.e: I had Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and UCL and to choose a (firm, insurance) ordered pair, I chose (firm, insurance) = (Cambridge, Warwick). I'll probably end up at Warwick at the rate I'm going. :tongue:

Good luck for your exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending