York English Offers 2009 Watch

Bambi2803
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
required grades: 34, 666 in hl IB. which I got by a bit
Reaction: Yay Insurance! Result was that didn't make my firm......
Looking forward to october
jannike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm so annoyed that York has suddenly changed its grade requirements from AAB to AAA for English. That's higher than Warwick! I've got AAB and am doing an extra A level in History this year, so I'm wondering, is it worth applying?
peachmelba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm so annoyed that York has suddenly changed its grade requirements from AAB to AAA for English. That's higher than Warwick! I've got AAB and am doing an extra A level in History this year, so I'm wondering, is it worth applying?
With the demographic bulge, it's not surprising that unis in highly competitive subjects like English are raising the level of typical offers. Leicester apparently has gone up from ABB to AAB.

York was always a bargain at AAB for such a highly rated English department. To be honest, most people I know at York doing English have AAA, so I think you would need a very strong application in terms of PS/reference to be a realistic candidate with AAB. Having said that, I don't know how they will regard you taking History. Obviously, it's a relevant subject but I think selecting unis generally like to see how you perform in the usual two years of sixth form (unless you have mitigating circumstances).

How are you off for language qualifications? I think a good grade in a language at least at AS can boost your application, given the compulsory language module.

In short, I think York would be a long shot with "just" AAB. But if it's your dream uni, it is only one of five choices and may be worth a shot provided you have some more conservative options. Where else are you thinking of applying?
jannike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by peachmelba)
With the demographic bulge, it's not surprising that unis in highly competitive subjects like English are raising the level of typical offers. Leicester apparently has gone up from ABB to AAB.

York was always a bargain at AAB for such a highly rated English department. To be honest, most people I know at York doing English have AAA, so I think you would need a very strong application in terms of PS/reference to be a realistic candidate with AAB. Having said that, I don't know how they will regard you taking History. Obviously, it's a relevant subject but I think selecting unis generally like to see how you perform in the usual two years of sixth form (unless you have mitigating circumstances).

How are you off for language qualifications? I think a good grade in a language at least at AS can boost your application, given the compulsory language module.

In short, I think York would be a long shot with "just" AAB. But if it's your dream uni, it is only one of five choices and may be worth a shot provided you have some more conservative options. Where else are you thinking of applying?
I emailed York, telling them my grades and the extra things I'm doing this year, and they said it is worth applying. It is not my dream university, however (Nottingham and Warwick are), and while it obviously is a brilliant course, it is my least favourite compared to the others I'm applying to. The other places I'll be applying to are UEA, Nottingham, Warwick and Cambridge (only so I can put it behind me and not wonder for the rest of my life). What I love about the course at Nottingham is the fact that it combines language and literature, and in comparison, York's English course seems pretty dry, although I'm sure it is taught amazingly. It's also about distance for me, and I have personal reasons for wanting to stay reasonaby close to home (Norfolk) and so York is pretty far away for me.

York is a lot of people's dream university, and so it's probably quite selfish and also foolish of me to apply there when it's not my own favourite. My grades aren't quite there (but hopefully will be after an extra A level), and I do not yet have a qualification in a language, but I am also doing GCSE French this year. I have also worked with a local newspaper and had articles published, done a creative writing course, finished my first novel, and read lots of classic literature this summer, and I'll be going to see Carol Ann Duffy at the end of the month, so I think my personal statement will be quite impressive.

York is kind of half on and half off my list at the moment, and I would probably replace it if I could think of somewhere else I could take a proper interest in. What other unis in my half of the country have a great reputation for English? Queen Mary is quite highly ranked in the subject- any opinions?
peachmelba
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What I love about the course at Nottingham is the fact that it combines language and literature
Have a look at Birmingham. I remember from their open day that they also offer a lit/lang blend and they said I think that only Nottingham and Lancaster offer similar courses. Though obviously Lancaster wouldn't suit your geographical criterion.

As you're from Norfolk, I guess you are familiar with UAE. I liked the English department but hated the campus. I thought it seemed really run down compared to York and Warwick (both founded at roughly the same time) and a long way out of the city centre. Good job we don't all love the same unis I guess.

I agree that Nottingham has a really interesting course (with drama and old english roots as well as lang). I also loved the campus/location.

Oh and another place to look at for English is Royal Holloway. Don't know much about the course structure but it has a well respected department.

good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads