The Student Room Group

Should I resist two of my a levels in my gap year and reapply to a different course?

For my A Level Results I got ABB, so I was automatically put into my insurance for a different course at The University or York, I was one mark off of an A for history and this didn’t move up after a remark and for English Literature I just had a really bad exam day at the time

I am happy with these grades but I feel that I could have done better especially since In English Lit especially I was getting A’s all year

I wanted to go into Law however if I go to university after my gap year it’ll be for Criminology and Sociology but Im not 100% happy with this or my course

Im debating whether I should resist History and English and apply somewhere else or go to York anyway after my gap year which is still a really good uni, I don’t know what to do 😭 It’s kinda do I go travelling in my gap year or do I resist these exams and hopefully do better even though this will be so difficult
Original post by Ionalis
For my A Level Results I got ABB, so I was automatically put into my insurance for a different course at The University or York, I was one mark off of an A for history and this didn’t move up after a remark and for English Literature I just had a really bad exam day at the time

I am happy with these grades but I feel that I could have done better especially since In English Lit especially I was getting A’s all year

I wanted to go into Law however if I go to university after my gap year it’ll be for Criminology and Sociology but Im not 100% happy with this or my course

Im debating whether I should resist History and English and apply somewhere else or go to York anyway after my gap year which is still a really good uni, I don’t know what to do 😭 It’s kinda do I go travelling in my gap year or do I resist these exams and hopefully do better even though this will be so difficult

York is a fine/decent uni, not "really good" but it's good i guess. If you really want to go into Law... a law degree might be better, although history and english may work? Not an expert but if you really want to do a law degree and think you can do better and want the other degree then I suppose resit the Bs, do not resit the A, etc.
Generally I would say don't do a degree you don't really want to do.
Don't do a course you are not happy with. You could ask York to release you from your offer and reapply for law in the next cycle with your existing grades rather than retake. That way you get another five UCAS choices without messing up your gap year plans.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending