Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsbs2)
    that sucks... was it the standard SJT?
    Similar - it was tailored to being an analyst at Lazard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimbobJam)
    Bad luck man. Do you think there was a screening beforehand or did it come through straight away?
    I think they screened before SJT (says they do on the website)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dasu95)
    Not rotational, you get hired by a specific desk

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Asked it quite a few pages back but i'll try again.

What is the best way to indicate on my cv that i'm doing masters next year but not sure where yet?

ReputationRep:
    Is someone already received the Numerical from Lazard? If yes, how long after you've done the Verbal one. Thks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib101)
    Asked it quite a few pages back but i'll try again.

What is the best way to indicate on my cv that i'm doing masters next year but not sure where yet?
    In the education section of my CV I wrote:

"Intend to complete a finance-based MSc in 2017/18"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    thoughts on the importance of 'news article you enjoyed and how it affects bank x' application questions eg jpm? stuck on what to write about
    I applied for fixed income IM and wrote about a news article I read on the potential of masala bonds (Indian, rupee-denominated bonds issued offshore) and how they provide attractive yields in a relatively stable economy, obviously speaking of it as a perfect opportunity in the current low-yield environment of the western world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    thoughts on the importance of 'news article you enjoyed and how it affects bank x' application questions eg jpm? stuck on what to write about
    My advice to you would be to

1. Recall a few news articles you read recently (presumably if you are applying to roles like these you frequently read the news).

2. Consider what opportunities could arise from the content of these news articles (did it talk about impacts on a particular commodity or economy?).

3. Does the bank your applying for have any involvement with the kind of opportunities provided? If yes, you're sorted. If no, choose another news story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daksosodak)
    Is someone already received the Numerical from Lazard? If yes, how long after you've done the Verbal one. Thks
    Received my rejection within an hour of sitting the verbal so I assume if you haven't heard back within a couple hours you have passed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Received my rejection within an hour of sitting the verbal so I assume if you haven't heard back within a couple hours you have passed
    Actually if you pass you're told straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_price)

1. Recall a few news articles you read recently (presumably if you are applying to roles like these you frequently read the news).

2. Consider what opportunities could arise from the content of these news articles (did it talk about impacts on a particular commodity or economy?).

3. Does the bank your applying for have any involvement with the kind of opportunities provided? If yes, you're sorted. If no, choose another news story.
    Great advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_price)

Is it best to stay away from broad topics like Brexit then and focus on something extremely specific? I mean - you can tailor the Brexit thing very specifically if you want but the actual news story is broad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Is it best to stay away from broad topics like Brexit then and focus on something extremely specific? I mean - you can tailor the Brexit thing very specifically if you want but the actual news story is broad...
    I think as long as its new and interesting to them it will be fine even if it is brexit driven, like a niche product that is affected and how it relates to JPM. Wouldnt start chatting about shorting house builders tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oschene23)
    Actually if you pass you're told straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know HR's e-mail? I clicked on the SJT link and it redirected me to the test again, even though I already completed it, so I am wondering if I managed to submit it successfully the first time..

ReputationRep:
    How many applications can i make for MS? Can it be 2 SA roles in London or does it have to be like 1 SA and 1 FT role in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Thank you for your reply.

Anyone know if we could apply both for the SA and Off-cycle at GS?

ReputationRep:
    MS has been open for a while but there's still not S&T SA programme to apply for? There's one for Institutional Equity and Prime Brokerage but then it goes on to give the description 'The 10-week Summer Analyst Program is an opportunity to experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley Sales & Trading by taking on some of the responsibilities and functions of a Full-time Analyst for the summer period.; - so is the correct one for S&T?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deltasierra27)
    MS has been open for a while but there's still not S&T SA programme to apply for? There's one for Institutional Equity and Prime Brokerage but then it goes on to give the description 'The 10-week Summer Analyst Program is an opportunity to experience the culture and atmosphere of Morgan Stanley Sales & Trading by taking on some of the responsibilities and functions of a Full-time Analyst for the summer period.; - so is the correct one for S&T?
    Yeah but if you click Apply now you'll see there's no vacancy in London apart from some off-cycle in Research I think? Same for the Commodities one. Waited ages for them to open and then no London. ****ing Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterllecker)
    Yeah but if you click Apply now you'll see there's no vacancy in London apart from some off-cycle in Research I think? Same for the Commodities one. Waited ages for them to open and then no London. ****ing Brexit.
    Yeah I noticed that - are we sure this is because of Brexit rather than the programme just not being open yet? Because on the previous page the programme shows up if you filter by 'EMEA' and then 'London' - and if MS weren't recruiting because of Brexit then why would Goldman and JPM do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deltasierra27)
    Yeah I noticed that - are we sure this is because of Brexit rather than the programme just not being open yet? Because on the previous page the programme shows up if you filter by 'EMEA' and then 'London' - and if MS weren't recruiting because of Brexit then why would Goldman and JPM do it?
    That's a good question tbf. But not sure if I'd risk waiting much longer.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.