The Student Room Group

Masters Loan Appeals

Hello, I started a masters in 2017 and withdrew after 3 weeks. I would like to do a masters starting in September, however i am aware you cannot have a postgraduate loan again.

I would like to appeal this decision, however i don't know how i start this process. Do i need to apply for the course first, be accepted, apply for the postgraduate loan, get rejected and THEN appeal it?

I don't particularly want to apply for a masters and get accepted, only to find out i can't actually do it. Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by katyy94x
Hello, I started a masters in 2017 and withdrew after 3 weeks. I would like to do a masters starting in September, however i am aware you cannot have a postgraduate loan again.

I would like to appeal this decision, however i don't know how i start this process. Do i need to apply for the course first, be accepted, apply for the postgraduate loan, get rejected and THEN appeal it?

I don't particularly want to apply for a masters and get accepted, only to find out i can't actually do it. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Katy,

If you've started a masters course previously then you'd only be eligible for another Postgraduate course if you had withdrew due to reasons outwith your control. You don't need to specify what this was but does this apply to you? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Katy,

If you've started a masters course previously then you'd only be eligible for another Postgraduate course if you had withdrew due to reasons outwith your control. You don't need to specify what this was but does this apply to you? Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, I’d argue yes. The modules I wanted to do were no longer available (I have an email confirming this) despite them being part of a specific pathway for the course.

I also had undiagnosed ADHD. I very impulsively decided to do a masters degree with 0 relation to my undergraduate, or tbh any previous qualification and personally I don’t think I should’ve even been accepted. The ADHD being untreated and undiagnosed always massively impacted my academic ability. I saw if you received DSA you are eligible to re-apply, I didn’t because obviously I didn’t know I had ADHD, but I would’ve received DSA if I had known. I had been supported by my university during my undergrad who considered my depression a disability and received extra time etc to accommodate this.

I also didn’t have an exit interview (have an email confirming) so don’t feel I was ever supported with making this decision either.
Hi Jason, I’d argue yes. The modules I wanted to do were no longer available (I have an email confirming this) despite them being part of a specific pathway for the course.

I also had undiagnosed ADHD. I very impulsively decided to do a masters degree with 0 relation to my undergraduate, or tbh any previous qualification and personally I don’t think I should’ve even been accepted. The ADHD being untreated and undiagnosed always massively impacted my academic ability. I saw if you received DSA you are eligible to re-apply, I didn’t because obviously I didn’t know I had ADHD, but I would’ve received DSA if I had known. I had been supported by my university during my undergrad who considered my depression a disability and received extra time etc to accommodate this.

I also didn’t have an exit interview (have an email confirming) so don’t feel I was ever supported with making this decision either.

Hi Katy. Thank you. In this case, I would advise that you send a paper Postgraduate Application form along with Compelling Personal Reasons evidence. For this, you can include a detailed cover letter outlining the above and in more detail if possible. Along with this, we advise to send as much evidence as possible so if you have doctors letters/letters from your University etc. You can find the paper application form to send these with below;
Master's Loan: How to apply - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Thanks - David
Reply 4
Original post by David SLC
Hi Katy. Thank you. In this case, I would advise that you send a paper Postgraduate Application form along with Compelling Personal Reasons evidence. For this, you can include a detailed cover letter outlining the above and in more detail if possible. Along with this, we advise to send as much evidence as possible so if you have doctors letters/letters from your University etc. You can find the paper application form to send these with below;
Master's Loan: How to apply - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Thanks - David

Hi David, do i need to apply for the masters first and be offered a place, then apply for funding and a compelling reasons form? Or can i do the application to SFE and compelling reasons form before applying & confirming i have an offer?
Hi David, do i need to apply for the masters first and be offered a place, then apply for funding and a compelling reasons form? Or can i do the application to SFE and compelling reasons form before applying & confirming i have an offer?

Hi Katy. You can still send the application and evidence without having your place confirmed by your University. We suggest doing this as soon as possible as applications can take up to 6 weeks to be processed. Thanks - David
Reply 6
Hi David, apologies for the late response. I have written my CPR and acquired all my evidence. However, it looks as though there is only 2023/2024 postgraduate loan applications currently open.

Do I need to wait for 2024/2025 to open? Just cautious due to your comment about 6 week time periods to process.
Hi Katy,

Yes, the applications will launch in the summer, you can just send it then. The 6 week estimate is an approximate timescale therefore you will still have plenty of time to apply when the applications open. Don't worry if you have sent the CPR evidence in prior to the application, it will still be reviewed once you apply.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending