The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Have to credit Rodgers for turning it around, but the upcoming month will be a huge test for him.
Original post by Gob Bluth
In terms of overall shape it was one of the best I've seen from Liverpool for a long time.

Defence looked very solid. Henderson and Lucas are a quality partnership in midfield. Coutinho and Sterling just look fantastic. Sakho is a brilliant defender too.

It's rare you see 3 at the back succeed, but you got to say it's paying off very well at the moment for Liverpool.

This is the result which means I still think Liverpool can get top 4 again now - as long as Sturridge remains fit. Feel if Sturridge misses more games that you will get games like this ending in 0-0 too much as there aren't enough goals in the side. But defensively and with Sturridge back attacking wise, can see Liverpool finishing the season strongly.

Gerrard wasn't missed at all tbh.

You have to credit the manager. Completely turned it around after the Palace results. Look at the clean sheets since, and the results. Excellent.

Agree with the above. Needed 11-12 wins from 16 and now that's 10-11 from 15. Win next weekend and it's all very doable.
Reply 9642
Generally a good performance but I have to say that Lallana and Markovic on the right hand side have a habit of being anonymous at the moment. Both clearly have quality and can be deadly, but we need to work out how to get them more involved in games rather than having everything going through Coutinho.
5 wins and 4 clean sheets in 6 games.

Beat Everton and we'll definitely beat Spurs.

Get 6 off those two and we're going away to Soton with 7 wins in 8, and then facing a vulnerable City at home.

Last season showed us that it's just about momentum and we've picked up a lot of it, at the perfect time, with Sturridge returning to add even more.

Biggest derby in a long time.
Original post by cBay
Generally a good performance but I have to say that Lallana and Markovic on the right hand side have a habit of being anonymous at the moment. Both clearly have quality and can be deadly, but we need to work out how to get them more involved in games rather than having everything going through Coutinho.

Lallana offered nothing, Markovic was good though. Very good passing and composure, generally always chooses the right option. Needs to learn to finish but there isn't an attacker at the club except Sturridge who doesn't.
Original post by KFC Buffet
Lallana offered nothing, Markovic was good though. Very good passing and composure, generally always chooses the right option. Needs to learn to finish but there isn't an attacker at the club except Sturridge who doesn't.

I'm guessing the optimum team for the future is Coutinho and Sterling behind Sturridge, with Lallana being used off the bench. Loads more options than last year, you can kind of see how a regression occurred.

It's key that Lucas, Henderson, Sakho and Sturridge retain their fitness for the rest of the season. Think there's enough quality backup in the two attacking roles behind the striker to not have to worry about an injury to Coutinho or Sterling - though of course it would not be good such is their quality at the moment.

A defensive midfielder as at least backup to Lucas is important in the Summer, such is Lucas' importance in the team. Unless Can is being blooded for the role, in which case another CB needs o be targetted you'd say.

With Gerrard leaving, a b2b CM is needed the fill the void if Henderson got injured. A utility man like Milner could be useful as he could play the wing back role plus also slot into midfield. If you can get him for a free that's an excellent transfer imo.

I'd be concerned at not getting another striker in. Sturridge can't retain fitness over a season. Someone like Remy the club should be all over really. I guess if Balotelli goes, you will see someone come in. Origi replaces Borini, and Lambert may be replaced with Ings.

Balotelli should be sold. I don't see the use of him in the current system, nor with Liverpool's general style. £12m and his wages off the bill would be useful. Borini and Lambert are also not good enough.
Delighted for Sturridge - not seen the goals or the game, but I'm so chuffed for him.
Original post by Gob Bluth
I'm guessing the optimum team for the future is Coutinho and Sterling behind Sturridge, with Lallana being used off the bench. Loads more options than last year, you can kind of see how a regression occurred.

It's key that Lucas, Henderson, Sakho and Sturridge retain their fitness for the rest of the season. Think there's enough quality backup in the two attacking roles behind the striker to not have to worry about an injury to Coutinho or Sterling - though of course it would not be good such is their quality at the moment.

A defensive midfielder as at least backup to Lucas is important in the Summer, such is Lucas' importance in the team. Unless Can is being blooded for the role, in which case another CB needs o be targetted you'd say.

With Gerrard leaving, a b2b CM is needed the fill the void if Henderson got injured. A utility man like Milner could be useful as he could play the wing back role plus also slot into midfield. If you can get him for a free that's an excellent transfer imo.

I'd be concerned at not getting another striker in. Sturridge can't retain fitness over a season. Someone like Remy the club should be all over really. I guess if Balotelli goes, you will see someone come in. Origi replaces Borini, and Lambert may be replaced with Ings.

Balotelli should be sold. I don't see the use of him in the current system, nor with Liverpool's general style. £12m and his wages off the bill would be useful. Borini and Lambert are also not good enough.

Completely agree on the Milner shout, accomplished all round footballer and would add both steel and experience. Even if he asks for 80k/3 years I'd gladly give it him. A lot does depend on how we plan to use Can in the long term, but I do think he's the preferred successor to Lucas. One idea is to keep Can at CB for now, and give Wisdom/Lovren/Ilori the chance to succeed in that RCB role instead of bringing in a new person. That would mean Can moving between starting at CB and filling in for Lucas at CM occasionally. In which case bringing in Milner as a medium term option is a great idea. Agree with your assessment of our striking situation too. The only trouble is what happens with Balotelli's 'role' in the squad.

Our squad is pretty big now, and the foreign imports are mostly settled in well, so we do have the foundations in place. The aim next season should be to challenge. My issue is that Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge as a front three doesn't have enough goals in them to win a title. Henderson and the wingbacks are the other expected sources of goals and we're not realistically improving there in the transfer market at all, although hopefully we will see a more confident Moreno and Markovic, plus the expected incremental increase from Henderson (and hopefully him recognising the need to step up, as our new captain). But those improvements won't really be enough, which means we do, in my opinion, need a striker that is good enough to play 25+ games for us, even if he doesn't end up playing that many. We need a second choice who's good enough to be a first choice for most other teams in the league - someone on the level of Dzeko (obviously a player more suited to our style of play).

What is slightly encouraging is that we managed 11 goals, 3 conceded, and 5 wins out of 6 (took away Sturridge's goal today) without a proper striker. Easy run of games but that's still pretty impressive and shows how well the system works. 12 goals (cheekily putting Sturridge's back in) over 6 games works out to 76 over the season, and as a general rule, you're looking for 80-90 to win a title, so that's not too bad at all.

The great thing about this formation is that there is not a single position where you can say 'this player would be better served by a different formation'. Mainly it caters to Rodgers' absolute need to have Skrtel in the team but I'm not questioning it with 4 clean sheets in 6. It's very, very promising and if they can carry on the good work against Everton and Spurs, you're looking at 8-9 wins from 13, which is very, very achievable.

Now if we can get a Remy, a Bony, a Dzeko, Giroud level of player then we really are looking good for next season.

Just as a separate point, I don't think there is a huge amount of difference between this season and last. In both seasons, we had Sturridge injured for a significant amount of time, and in both we struggled defensively and with formation issues, until finally finding something that works around January time. The major difference is that last season, we had Luis Suarez putting together the best goalscoring run that the PL has ever seen, in the winter months, whereas this season we've had the lowest scoring strikers in the league. I'm not using this as a stick to discredit Rodgers btw - there's definitely a lot more to be had on that particular discussion, but it just seems to me that with each of Rodgers' seasons so far there's been a trend of struggling first half of the season and then coming across a formation/style that works in the new year, and then excelling. Which leaves me optimistic that we will excel this season too. If we'd had even one serviceable striker after Sturridge's injury, we'd be third and in with an outside shot of the title, not too dissimilar to last year.
Its the transfer window that Rodgers always ****s up though which is why he tends to have a bad first half season.
Original post by samir12
Its the transfer window that Rodgers always ****s up though which is why he tends to have a bad first half season.

Thankfully in the summer we don't need to go after squad depth, so hopefully we'll go for a couple of big name signings where we need them.
Milner move just makes total sense all round.

He fits Rodgers' philosophy and preference for home-grown players, he's a consistent performer, he'll do his job and allow Henderson to roam without needing to babysit anybody.
If anything Lucas babysits Henderson, who has a problem with tracking runners
If anything Lucas babysits Henderson, who has a problem with tracking runners

A midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Milner would be the most hard-working in the Premier League.
Unfortunately my internet ****ed up earlier today so I couldn't watch the game. :argh:

But I'm glad we won and Sturridge scored after 5 months out! It'll be interesting to see what will happen with Balo, hopefully Sturridge can bring out the best in him. But if he were to leave in the summer I wouldn't be against it since he doesn't fit into our team and his attitude is poor.
Original post by Mackay
A midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Milner would be the most hard-working in the Premier League.

It would only work if we had Suarez in the team as well as Sturridge and Sterling/Coutinho
It would only work if we had Suarez in the team as well as Sturridge and Sterling/Coutinho

Wouldn't have to be Suarez per se, but definitely somebody of that ilk. Anybody willing to put in a good shift and press intensely really.
after watching the highlights, i have to say that the chemistry between sterling and coutinho is reaching outstanding levels.

coutinho himself has developed from a rotation player to a nailed on starter in less than a year - his progress is excellent and he has definitely stepped up take charge of creavitiy with suarez gone.
with coutinho and sterling floating around sturridge and lallana as back up, we have a really cohesive attack right now.
the only worry is that many all of our players (bar sturridge and maybe sterling) don't finish well at all in a consistent sense.
we may have excellent fluidity up top but we need to make sure this results in goals.

right now our most essential players are sakho, lucas, henderson, coutinho, sterling and sturridge.
there's a noticeable difference recently when any of those players aren't on the fieldand i really hope they all stay injury free for the rest of the season.
sakho in particular has come a long long way, even in just the last few weeks - great player, hope it continues.

P.S: i'm hoping sturridge scoring today made balotelli take a hard look at himself - his arrogance hinders him and he needed to get taken down a few pegs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Happy for Sturridge, the guy just knows how to score. Takes someone with proven quality to be able to just come back from a lengthy spell out and score.

Balotelli well the less said the better.
I missed the game but just watched the highlights.

Sturridge showed in a short time why we rave about him so much. He does not have a right to score from his chance but he still buries it with great touches, movement and power.

For me, Coutinho is going to be the most important player over the next month. He's the one who has that creativity and can knit the balls from defence/midfield into attack.

I think Sterling's time as striker will have developed him into a better player for the longer term. Great finish :biggrin:

The only question is, now that Rodgers looks to have found his best system/XI, should he rotate while we have such an important run of fixtures? Bolton on Wednesday and then Everton at the weekend.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blood-red-liverpool-fcs-melwood-8552278

Might be the last we see of early team news if the proposed wall is put up.

Quick Reply

Latest