The Student Room Group

AQA LITB3 Pastoral 6th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by charlz_29
my section B responses tend to be around 4 pages

For all 3, I presume? 20 minutes per text doesn't seem to give me enough scope to talk in any detail, or about many points, at all
Reply 81
Original post by Francis W
For all 3, I presume? 20 minutes per text doesn't seem to give me enough scope to talk in any detail, or about many points, at all

mine are around 4 or 5 pages for all three usually :smile: but i have fairly large handwriting
Is anyone doing She Stoops to Conquer!? Totally stuck for what to write :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by rooosy
mine are around 4 or 5 pages for all three usually :smile: but i have fairly large handwriting

My teacher consistently says mine have to cover much more ground but I physically can't in the time given. Do you plan all 3 at the start or plan them as you go along?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Anyone got any general structure points for Tess of the D'Urbervilles? I'm starting to panic!
Reply 85
My teacher consistently says mine have to cover much more ground but I physically can't in the time given. Do you plan all 3 at the start or plan them as you go along?

Yeah I spend at least 10 mins at the start doing a reasonably detailed plan for all three with references to the quotes ill use, it just makes my line of argument clearer I think so I'm more concise and then cover more points... Which texts are you doing?
Original post by rooosy
Anyone got any general structure points for Tess of the D'Urbervilles? I'm starting to panic!

So the novel is divided into 7 'Phases'. This could be seen as quite symbolic like different phases of Tess's life, you could link it to the quote "phases of her childhood lurked in her aspect still"...this can be seen to link her to Nature as the seasons are the 'phases' of the year...this suggests that over the course of the novel Tess's life takes its natural course of progression from childhood towards death.
Reply 87
Original post by iamsherlocked
So the novel is divided into 7 'Phases'. This could be seen as quite symbolic like different phases of Tess's life, you could link it to the quote "phases of her childhood lurked in her aspect still"...this can be seen to link her to Nature as the seasons are the 'phases' of the year...this suggests that over the course of the novel Tess's life takes its natural course of progression from childhood towards death.

Cool thanks a lot! Also do you think it would be valid to say that the chronological phases seem to enforce Hardy's idea of the inevitability of time passing and nostalgia for her childhood (simpler times...) back when she was 'a mere vessel of emotion, untinctured by experience' - I always get worried that my links are too tenuous...
Reply 88
Original post by rooosy
Yeah I spend at least 10 mins at the start doing a reasonably detailed plan for all three with references to the quotes ill use, it just makes my line of argument clearer I think so I'm more concise and then cover more points... Which texts are you doing?

Ah right, so you spend just over 15 mins on each essay? I'm doing As You Like It, Blake and Post 1945 poetry - what are you doing?
Reply 89
Ah right, so you spend just over 15 mins on each essay? I'm doing As You Like It, Blake and Post 1945 poetry - what are you doing?

yep, although actuallly i usually finish section A in around 50 mins so i have a little bit longer... I'm also doing AYLI and Blake, but Tess of the D'Urbervilles as my third one :smile: so nervous, this exam has to go well!
Original post by rooosy
Cool thanks a lot! Also do you think it would be valid to say that the chronological phases seem to enforce Hardy's idea of the inevitability of time passing and nostalgia for her childhood (simpler times...) back when she was 'a mere vessel of emotion, untinctured by experience' - I always get worried that my links are too tenuous...

Yes definitely :smile:
and it's fine haha, everything's always a bit tenuous in English :wink: As long as you explain it well to make it sound like it's not tenuous...
Reply 91
Original post by rooosy
yep, although actuallly i usually finish section A in around 50 mins so i have a little bit longer... I'm also doing AYLI and Blake, but Tess of the D'Urbervilles as my third one :smile: so nervous, this exam has to go well!

Section A is much easier, I think, so it's probably a good idea to spend a bit more time on Section B. It's the exam I'm most confident about but the fact that there is no choice of questions in Section A is a bit worrying...one year, they asked whether Orlando was a 'hero for the new generation' due to his pastoral education, or something. So hopefully it won't be that crap this year. I wouldn't worry if I were you, sounds like you'll be fine.
.....Does anyone have a few multi functional quotes for Blake?? Really lacking in quotes for him :frown:
the fact that there is no choice of questions in Section A is a bit worrying...one year, they asked whether Orlando was a 'hero for the new generation' due to his pastoral education, or something. So hopefully it won't be that crap this year

Arg yeah I'm quite stressed about what they might ask us in Section A!

Does anyone have any ideas of what they might be likely to ask about Tess or AYLI?
Well, good luck for tomorrow everyone! :biggrin:
I'm studying Tess, AYLI and post 1945 poetry.
My contextual understanding for Tess is much better than the other 2 but I know I'll be more attracted to write about As You Like It.

I have a feeling a question related to love will be on Tess, if so what points do you think you could talk about?
How did everyone find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
HELP :frown: In my exam confusion I got really mixed up... If the section A question said 'Consider the view that...', is it asking for a completely contrasting argument? Or is it asking just for different interpretations on that view? I was so happy when I came out of the exam and now I'm really down :'(
For consider the view I would think both sides of the argument. If you have only done one ypu will still get marked for it though so don't worry. I thought it was okay. Pretty nice questions. ZERO on love which is what I'd been hoping for but ye.
Does anyone know exactly how section B is marked? My first two texts were quite strong and relevant to the question, but my third text didn't go well atall :/ To get an A do you have to be very strong on all texts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending