The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tufts
Are you taking the piss?

Cheers for backing up my point in the previous page, Tufts. :wink:

Some people do talk to their pets when they're going through a bad time becasue talking to people about it is perhaps a bit awkward. Some people seek comfort in their pets.

Doesn't need to be a hamster, it could be a cat or something too. :smile:
King Hippo
No.

Ok. Well, it's about a bunch of doctors in a hospital. One day they're all sort of slacking off, and a patient dies. They end up having to go to a hearing, where they explain what they were doing and why they weren't around to help etc. It turns out that the patient died for reasons that, even were they all around, they couldn't have helped.

At the end of the episode, they're all celebrating in the bar the fact that they didn't get sacked, chink their glasses to "bad radiologists" (the cause for the man's death) when a senior doctor comes over and says:

"Wait, wait, let me get in on this; Let's also have a toast to Mr Fosters widow and fatherless kids." One replied that it wasn't their fault, to which the senior doctor replies: "Because you were lucky. You know as well as I do that it could have been any one of your faults. Congrats again. Have a swell party."

Yeah, s/he might not have killed the hamster, but s/he still ****ed up, and s/he still could have killed it. If she'd consciously made the decision to leave it, like the others who went on holiday did, then fair enough, but she didn't. It was pure neglect, and it's clear s/he has no idea what s/he's doing anyway.

She just got "lucky" this time.
That's fair enough, but your comparison is flawed because a human can't live for a week without food anyway, whereas a hamster can since it stores food.

It's possible that s/he may have thought "he'll be fine", which is an understandable assumption to make given the fact that they can live for over a week on the food it stores. Only when the thing dies does s/he feel guilt, even though it seems to have not been down to the lack of feeding. The fact is that, dodgy as it sounds, leaving a hamster alone for a week should be fine. The fact that it seemingly got Wet Tail while s/he was away is nothing more than an unfortunate coincidence, and had it not done so it would probably still be alive today and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Whereas it seems that in Scrubs the patient would have possibly died due to their negligence anyway, in the case of the hamster (the Sherlock Holmes book that never made it to print :biggrin: ) the OP's "negligence" may not have been negligence at all and it's very likely that the hamster would still have been alive.
Reply 83
I doubt it died because you forgot to feed it.
Animals can go weeks without food.
It probably died of something else.

Anyway sorry for your loss. I have a hamster and I understand how close you become to the little critters and how they do become like friends.

Don't listen to all these people having a go at you :hugs:
Reply 84
King Hippo
Cheers for backing up my point in the previous page, Tufts. :wink:

Some people do talk to their pets when they're going through a bad time becasue talking to people about it is perhaps a bit awkward. Some people seek comfort in their pets.

Doesn't need to be a hamster, it could be a cat or something too. :smile:

But to value hamsters over humans? *snort* :toofunny:

How does the hamster contribute? What does he do apart from piss and crap in his bedding? Most of the time he is oblivious to your existence.

... okay I stand corrected.

Spoiler

What about your cat then, Tufts? How can we be sure it really comes to comfort you when you're down, and it isn't just coming to you because it recognises its own smell from the last time you hugged it? :smile:
Reply 86
King Hippo
What about your cat then, Tufts? How can we be sure it really comes to comfort you when you're down, and it isn't just coming to you because it recognises its own smell from the last time you hugged it? :smile:

Where did I say it "comforts me" when I'm down? It's a cat :laugh:

It approaches me when I'm down, but is incapable of comforting.
Reply 87
Anonymous
Plus results stress and everything has been getting to me **** it, I'm not going to make excuses. I screwed up greatly and as a result, my hamster died. I have no reason for forgetting to feed him, but like I said stress has got the better part of me

I'm not having a go at you but...

If you were under stress wouldn't spending time with your hamster taken your mind of it? I mean you say your hamster was your best friend maybe it would of been a good idea to see it? Also if you weren't able to look after it couldn't you got someone in your family just to check up on the hamster? Because maybe you wouldn't be as guilty as you are right now. But I'm guessing it died of natural causes hamsters don't live long so don't beat yourself up you cared for it you just made a mistake even if it was a big one.

But I know how you feel my hamster died in its sleep :frown: he was the most cutest trouble maker :smile:.

Margerie Dawes

WTF I've been negged six times plus one positive (thanks :smile:) for offering helpful advice. You guys suck, armchair critics where my lush big helpful posts get negged againt your one liners sitting on your self righteous thrones.

Why on earth are you suprised at that? Killing a hamster because you were bored of it, how would you feel if someone gave you bleach because they were bored of you? Honestly I wouldn't be suprised if you get more neg reps for it, what did you expect everyone on tsr to do? Congratulate you on a job well done? Why did you get a hamster in the first place? And don't get another hamster, get a rock as your next pet.
King Hippo
It's possible that s/he may have thought "he'll be fine", which is an understandable assumption to make given the fact that they can live for over a week on the food it stores.

But that's exactly it. If S/he had thought this, it'd be fair enough -a bit silly perhaps, but understandable. The OP specifically said that, because it wasn't within his/her direct line of sight, s/he literally forgot all about it.
DanGrover
But that's exactly it. If S/he had thought this, it'd be fair enough -a bit silly perhaps, but understandable. The OP specifically said that, because it wasn't within his/her direct line of sight, s/he literally forgot all about it.

I know mate, but the very fact that hamsters can go for ages without food perhaps unconsciously pushed "feed my hamster" to the back of their mind priority-wise.

If it had been a dog for example, which requires daily feeding and walking, then I very much doubt they'd have forgotten to feed it.
So? It's still ridiculously neglectful, and the OP deserves all the berrating we can give them, if only so as to hopefully iterate to them enough to stop them being such an idiot in the future.
Margerie Dawes
ROFL If you weren't anonomous I would rep you that post was so hilarious Anyway it prob died of natural causes they are designed to be able to go without food for ages. New ones only cost about a fiver I think, I put bleach in my hamsters water bottle when I got bored of looking after it so it died then I though might as well get another one a year later as I was bored it cost about six quid I think.

**** knows why your a respected member if you did that you are sick mate. At least this person who started this thread didnt poison their hamster! Stress does alot of things to you can make you really forgetful so like give this person a break and let them grieve - itl get easier xx
Reply 92
King Hippo
That's fair enough, but your comparison is flawed because a human can't live for a week without food anyway, whereas a hamster can since it stores food.

Humans can live for a week without food because if a person doesn't get food the body just breaks down fat and eventually muscle before death. We just can't live without water since about 60% of our body is made up of water.
this topic doesn't really deserve the effort in replies that a lot of you seem to be giving, it sounds like a wind up to be honest.
Reply 94
I'm still laughing at the title!
'the aftermath'
hahhaha
So both hamsters died after being fed a huge chunk of cucumber? You're not supposed to feed hamsters much veg or fruit, especially watery ones such as cucumber. I'd say that's what most likely killed it seeing as the water was full.
Reply 96
Margerie Dawes
I put bleach in my hamsters water bottle when I got bored of looking after it so it died then I though might as well get another one a year later as I was bored it cost about six quid I think.

That makes me feel so sad :frown:
Originally Posted by Margerie Dawes
I put bleach in my hamsters water bottle when I got bored of looking after it so it died then I though might as well get another one a year later as I was bored it cost about six quid I think.

Don't a lot of sociopaths and serial killers start out killing animals?:thumpdown

People of Bristol beware! :ahhhhh:

Seriously though, I hope this statement is some sort of joke, I find your lack of conscience incredibly disturbing.
Reply 98
you are meant to give your hamster some salad, not loads, and not all at once, but a bit is good for it.
i've had 3 hamsters up to now. the first one died of wet tail, and we'd had him for 2 years. he somehow managed to damage his foot and started trying to chew it off just before he died.. it was uh.. not nice, but there was nothing we could do.
the second one also died of wet tail at a year and a half, and the last hamster i had bite of my dads finger and died after 3 weeks.. we think because my dad has to take quite a few tablets for his ME, it didn't agree with the hamster.
i'm sure your hamster just died of natural causes. they don't live much over 2 years anyway, and i'm sure it would have had enough food stored to be able to survive.
on the same subject; my neighbour went away for 2 weeks and left his parrot in the charge of his son.. he came back and the parrot was dead because he didn't feed him at all. at least it wasn't a £500 parrot!
pumpkin7
you are meant to give your hamster some salad, not loads, and not all at once, but a bit is good for it.
i've had 3 hamsters up to now. the first one died of wet tail, and we'd had him for 2 years. he somehow managed to damage his foot and started trying to chew it off just before he died.. it was uh.. not nice, but there was nothing we could do.
the second one also died of wet tail at a year and a half, and the last hamster i had bite of my dads finger and died after 3 weeks.. we think because my dad has to take quite a few tablets for his ME, it didn't agree with the hamster.
i'm sure your hamster just died of natural causes. they don't live much over 2 years anyway, and i'm sure it would have had enough food stored to be able to survive.
on the same subject; my neighbour went away for 2 weeks and left his parrot in the charge of his son.. he came back and the parrot was dead because he didn't feed him at all. at least it wasn't a £500 parrot!

I read that as 'left the parrot in charge of the son' lol!

Latest