The Student Room Group

Hamster mystery - please can a hamster owner help

Hi everyone
I was hoping an experienced hamster owner could help with this query I have.
We recently lost our syrian hamster and there is no sign of her anywhere (food left untouched, no scratching noises, no nibble marks etc). She is usually very active and mobile so naturally we are concerned as its been 3 days and no sign anywhere despite having checked everywhere (small house, thoroughly searched all rooms multiple times).

She was being watched by our babysitter at the time who had put her in the hamster ball. She says the hamster was in there for less than 30 minutes before she realised she was missing and we started searching immediately. Our babysitter found the empty ball and says that it opened a bit down the middle but did not break into 2. She thought a few of the latches in the middle had come undone leaving a gap approx 0.8mm wide. I initially took this at face value but as still no signs of our hamsters anywhere its made me go back over everything.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on whether you think it would be possible for the hamster to escape from a ball that was not broken into two pieces? At rest the most it opens if some of the clamps are unlocked is less than 1cm. If i pull it apart from the outside it opens just about wide enough for her to escape but when I stop pulling it open it snaps closed again to leave only a small gap <1cm. I'm not sure if the hamster could push through the plastic from the inside as the plastic is also very hard and hurt my fingers when trying to do this.

I've never questioned anything babysitter said before and she seems nice/responsible but I just wanted to ask whether you think this would be possible as story seems strange to me.

Thanks so much
Well, I knew a mother who stole a guinea pig from a pet zone at a zoo or animal park or whatever it was. Her sons pet died and so hid the stolen one up her shirt and walked out. So I guess the hamster could of been stolen, unless it can get through the ball and out of the house.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone
I was hoping an experienced hamster owner could help with this query I have.
We recently lost our syrian hamster and there is no sign of her anywhere (food left untouched, no scratching noises, no nibble marks etc). She is usually very active and mobile so naturally we are concerned as its been 3 days and no sign anywhere despite having checked everywhere (small house, thoroughly searched all rooms multiple times).

She was being watched by our babysitter at the time who had put her in the hamster ball. She says the hamster was in there for less than 30 minutes before she realised she was missing and we started searching immediately. Our babysitter found the empty ball and says that it opened a bit down the middle but did not break into 2. She thought a few of the latches in the middle had come undone leaving a gap approx 0.8mm wide. I initially took this at face value but as still no signs of our hamsters anywhere its made me go back over everything.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on whether you think it would be possible for the hamster to escape from a ball that was not broken into two pieces? At rest the most it opens if some of the clamps are unlocked is less than 1cm. If i pull it apart from the outside it opens just about wide enough for her to escape but when I stop pulling it open it snaps closed again to leave only a small gap <1cm. I'm not sure if the hamster could push through the plastic from the inside as the plastic is also very hard and hurt my fingers when trying to do this.

I've never questioned anything babysitter said before and she seems nice/responsible but I just wanted to ask whether you think this would be possible as story seems strange to me.

Thanks so much

I'm so sorry that happened to you, I hope you've found her. It is definitely possible for her to have got out of a hole that size, my Syrian was always escaping the playpen I got for her and the gaps were no more than 1cm. The best idea would be to put food and water out around the house in little bowls so she has access to it. I lost my Syrian for a few hours and it was very stressful but luckily we found her under the kitchen counter. Peanut butter is a good temptation to get them out of small spaces when you do find them. Good luck I hope you find her soon if you haven't already! xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending