The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mazzaion
I had a dream that I didn't get into neither Oxford nor Durham and it was so sad...

If you've applied to both, chances are you're good enough for at least one! Also, what have you applied for?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ppequeens
If you've applied to both, chances are you're good enough for at least one! Also, what have you applied for?

Hopefully, I've applied for Classics! :smile:
Applied for English

GCSE'S: A*AABBBBC (A* in lit)

AS: English lit A (191/200)
RS- A (100%)
Fine art- B

Predictions: A*AA (I'm aiming for two A*'s )

I have an offer from Lancaster & York university to study Literature, and my personal statement is strong according to 3 English literature teachers. I'm so doubtful over hearing so many rumours about the weighting of GCSE'S. All of my teachers consider me to have come into my own at A level- I constantly overanalysed and went into too much detail at GCSE- hence why they believe I am much more suited to A levels.
I had a large adversity in year 10 that landed me in hospital for most of the year- however I have not told Durham admissions- I'm debating telling them but it may seems as though I'm too keen (even though it is my dream).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated
(edited 8 years ago)
Just got an offer for Biomedical Sciences!! :smile:
Just got an unconditional offer for Classics!
Hopefully, I've applied for Classics! :smile:

Same!
Original post by mhamill864
Still waiting on an offer for MMath (European Studies). Was really hoping to hear earlier than this as Durham is my first choice. Has anyone got an offer for this course yet? My grades are
GCSE: 11 A*s
AS: 4As
Predicted: 4A*s
I also applied for Cambridge and so my UCAS has been in since early October, I'm a bit worried because I've heard Durham are reluctant to give offers to people they think have applied to Oxbridge. Is there any truth in this?

I too applied to Durham and Cambridge for maths and I have similar predictions to you, I only got my offer from Durham just before Christmas and they were last to reply (other than Cam of course). I think Durham are quite slow getting back to people so I shouldn't worry.
Original post by rhi_el
Same!

Nice! Where else have you applied? Good luck!
Nice! Where else have you applied? Good luck!

Thank you! Cambridge, St Andrews, Exeter and Edinburgh!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rhi_el
Thank you! Cambridge, St Andrews, Exeter and Edinburgh!

When are you hearing back from Cambridge? I applied to Oxford and they're giving out decisions tomorrow which is nerve wracking! Good luck to you :smile:
When are you hearing back from Cambridge? I applied to Oxford and they're giving out decisions tomorrow which is nerve wracking! Good luck to you :smile:

GOOD LUCK!!!!! This time next week for me...
Anyone heard from engineering? Cheers
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
Applied for English

GCSE'S: A*AABBBBC (A* in lit)

AS: English lit A (191/200)
RS- A (100%)
Fine art- B

Predictions: A*AA (I'm aiming for two A*'s )

I have an offer from Lancaster & York university to study Literature, and my personal statement is strong according to 3 English literature teachers. I'm so doubtful over hearing so many rumours about the weighting of GCSE'S. All of my teachers consider me to have come into my own at A level- I constantly overanalysed and went into too much detail at GCSE- hence why they believe I am much more suited to A levels.
I had a large adversity in year 10 that landed me in hospital for most of the year- however I have not told Durham admissions- I'm debating telling them but it may seems as though I'm too keen (even though it is my dream).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

Hey I applied for English joint with philosophy and those are great ums for AS since literature will be heavily weighted to, I didn't score so highly but I'd say email them about it if it could help although I know how you feel about the too keen part because my teacher emailed them to change a predicted grade but they respond efficiently and kindly and take everything into consideration so it can't really disadvantage you- also then you'll have done everything you can and if you still think you look too keen then just imagine it can only work in your favour as they'll see you probably want to firm them:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
Hey I applied for English joint with philosophy and those are great ums for AS since literature will be heavily weighted to, I didn't score so highly but I'd say email them about it if it could help although I know how you feel about the too keen part because my teacher emailed them to change a predicted grade but they respond efficiently and kindly and take everything into consideration so it can't really disadvantage you- also then you'll have done everything you can and if you still think you look too keen then just imagine it can only work in your favour as they'll see you probably want to firm them:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou so much, I shall do! And Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
Thankyou so much, I shall do! And Good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard anything for Combined Honours in Social Sciences??
Anyone got a history offer?
Original post by JamesyP123
Anyone heard anything for Combined Honours in Social Sciences??

Yeah I heard back in November of last year but I'm an international applicant, so that might be why I heard back so fast :smile: Good luck!!
Ah blimey!! Congrats :smile: Im expecting a rejection from Cambridge so was hoping this could be my firm
Reply 1159
Anyone applying for Natural Sciences and heard yet? Haven't seen it mentioned on here very much if at all! I'm relying on them to get me over my Oxford rejection!

Also how easy is it to change the subjects you are doing for NatSci e.g. Changing a different subject or switching to a single subject? Just wondering!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest