The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yo12345
Amplitude must be small

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said the angle between the equilibrium position of the string at rest and the the position of the line at the amplitude must be 10 degrees when I measured out when to drop the ball. Sounds acceptable?
Original post by ombtom
Instead of using v and V I'll use v = 2, V = -1 for the velocities.

Everyone's saying mv - VN = 0
So V = mv/N
-1 = 2m/N

Since m/N > 0, this implies that -1 = 2 x positive constant.

What's going on? :redface:

If V=-1 the formula would be mv+VN=0. However, considering right to be positive mv-VN=0 is the correct momentum conservation.
To be honest it will probably end up with them accepting both positive and negative due to all the confusion.
(edited 7 years ago)
How many marks was the radius calculation? Was it worth 2 or 3?
Original post by marioman
In your dreams.

If only... I think more like 57 for an A* if we're lucky. 62 or 63 for 120 UMS depending on standard deviation.

And I think that's me being conservative.
Original post by 1017bsquad
Ok i got scared for a moment xD, I didn't do well on this paper :/ couldnt even answer the time constant question... and the kinetic energy fml

Yeah the E_alpha derivation got me too. I only managed to get to something like:

E_alpha = E(1 - ((1/2N)m^2v^2)/E)

:s-smilie:
Does anyone have an unofficial markscheme?
Original post by English-help
Thanks you! :smile: I need 85+ in Unit 5 now which will be hard but i'll have to get it for my offer! :/

Best of luck to you! What is your offer for, which grades and where? :smile:
All these multiple choice answers with many D's, I don't really think its right. I barely had D's...
Original post by -Gifted-
Defo 2F and X to Y.

if they are both positive, then the force on X has direction Y to X (repulsive).
Original post by js.int
Yeah the E_alpha derivation got me too. I only managed to get to something like:

E_alpha = E(1 - ((1/2N)m^2v^2)/E)

:s-smilie:

Yeah, that was the one question where I just couldn't see how to get to it.

Everything else was either a case of "Oh I know this" or "Ahhh I wish I revised this more" but.. this one.. I just couldn't recall anything about it at all and I couldn't derive the right equation :frown:
What was the momentum of the alpha particle ? 8.6x10^-19???
Original post by Sid1234
if they are both positive, then the force on X has direction Y to X (repulsive).

Initially it was negative and was y to x. after, the potential was positive, so must have changed direction .
Original post by Tokhmehsag

I got like 2*10^-20
Original post by -Gifted-
All these multiple choice answers with many D's, I don't really think its right. I barely had D's...

Just so you know, for the past 10 past papers, there has always been an even distribution of answers A, B, C and D. In every paper so far, there's been 6 answers for 3 letters and then 7 answers for 1 letter.

I got 1.6*19^-19 or something like that
Original post by Sid1234

Yeah agree
Original post by tanyapotter
How many marks was the radius calculation? Was it worth 2 or 3?

The radius of Venus question was worth 3 marks :smile:

Nope, missed factor at the end (I got this and corrected)
Original post by Random1357
Nope, missed factor at the end (I got this and corrected)

What did you end up getting? A fair few in my college on one or two said 1.15x10^-19 (I think it was ^-19 anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending