Newbie Coders Chat

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think Euler is usually too difficult for coding beginners unless you have a strong maths background. Most beginners to coding are also learning how to think algorithmically, in addition to the workings of their chosen language.
    I've just personally always thought that programming a mathematical solution to a problem is a waste of my time. I'd rather do something exciting and fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I've been at it for around 5 days, and I've only done 22 :P

Some of them I am able to solve, but they will take far too long to execute by using brute force as I am now. (10 and 25, because of the recursion, for example)

I'm still working at it, though
    I don't remember how many I solved (it was a few years ago now), but I remember being limited by my maths ability. I've never studied maths beyond school so the problems tended to be fairly tricky, and often difficult to research into. Still, pretty fun though. Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    Currently learning Java, and Python. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    are some of you guys doing a non-compsci degree at uni? I want to study law and economics and was thinking of doing this on the side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    I've just personally always thought that programming a mathematical solution to a problem is a waste of my time. I'd rather do something exciting and fun.
    Well, I find it fun! It really depends if you have an interest in mathematics or not. Also, it really isn't. Some mathematical tasks are too tedious (for example, doing something millions of times, potentially to prove/disprove a conjecture via proof by exhaustion), or hard/infeasible, to be done by hand, so programming comes into definite practical usage. It can also help answer interesting questions about mathematics!

(Original post by serah.exe)
    Currently learning Java, and Python. :yep:
    Cool! What have you done with it so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)

Hi
    Well, I'm currently just going along with codeacademy route.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Well, I'm currently just going along with codeacademy route.
    Codecademy is good for beginners, definitely! When I was learning python, I often found that codecademy was quite slow, and it really didn't give me enough to do what I wanted, so I'd say it's good up to a point. You may find it extremely useful, however!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Well, I find it fun! It really depends if you have an interest in mathematics or not. Also, it really isn't. Some mathematical tasks are too tedious (for example, doing something millions of times, potentially to prove/disprove a conjecture via proof by exhaustion), or hard/infeasible, to be done by hand, so programming comes into definite practical usage. It can also help answer interesting questions about mathematics!

I have a genuine interest in mathematics, however I rather not implement pure mathematics in my programming projects. Whilst maths was essential in some programming projects I've done
    e.g:
    Code:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Point p = new Point((int) (mouse.x + xPosition + (Math.cos(angle.get(i) * Math.PI / 180) * distance.get(i))), (int) (mouse.y - yPosition + (Math.sin(angle.get(i) * -Math.PI / 180) * distance.get(i))));
    It's not always something I like to focus on whilst programming. Things like desktop applications don't require heavy maths which is why I enjoy them. Don't get me wrong, without good mathematical knowledge, a lot of my projects wouldn't have existed today, however focusing on projects that require less maths makes programming more fun and less dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Codecademy is good for beginners, definitely! When I was learning python, I often found that codecademy was quite slow, and it really didn't give me enough to do what I wanted, so I'd say it's good up to a point. You may find it extremely useful, however!
    Ooooo, what would you recommend instead?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo, what would you recommend instead?
    Do 25% of codeacademy then do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihammmy)
    do 25% of codeacademy then do this
    Bookmarked
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Bookmarked
    Thank you
    If you find that route isn't getting you anywhere (as was the case for me), then just look around for problems to solve and learn by doing. I personally think that's a much better way of learning a language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If you find that route isn't getting you anywhere (as was the case for me), then just look around for problems to solve and learn by doing. I personally think that's a much better way of learning a language.
    Yeah, codeacademy is a bit slow.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, codeacademy is a bit slow.
    How so?
    From the age of about 10 I've been wanting to program but always stopped a few weeks after starting because it was dull and tedious. It was only at University where I properly got into it because we were given problems to solve that were genuinely interesting (not "make a turtle make a fancy shape" but things that were actually interesting like making a forest fire simulation or making a model to track isotope concentrations through an ocean column). If you're somebody who learns by doing rather than reading a tutorial, I think that's a much better way of learning how to program.

Edit: Forgot to quote.

ReputationRep:
    Bookmarked
    Thank you
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    hi ive just started computing alevel and im using VB to program! ive only just started and am getting to grips.

any helpful websites or tips would be appreciated!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy713)
    are some of you guys doing a non-compsci degree at uni? I want to study law and economics and was thinking of doing this on the side
    Well if you count Physics as a non comsci degree then yeah I am. I'm trying to learn HTML and CSS at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)

Arrrggghhh!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That awkward moment when you discover that HEX values can be abbreviated to just three digits of the full six, meaning that you've been manually typing #0099FF needlessly for the past decade or so :argh: :cry: :doh:
    I don't know where you heard this from. But it is wrong. Hexidecimal is base 16. You may be able to round knock off some off the characters, in special circumstances, but there is no rule to be had here i'm afraid. Do you know how to count in hexidecimal for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I don't know where you heard this from. But it is wrong. Hexidecimal is base 16. You may be able to round knock off some off the characters, in special circumstances, but there is no rule to be had here i'm afraid. Do you know how to count in hexidecimal for example?
    She means colours represented as hex, as a quick cheat this is acceptable and functional.

A00

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I can't be the only person on TSR trying to teach myself programming. Why not introduce yourself and say hi?
    What are you learning? What stage are you at? What goals do you have?
    All of this writing about coding in java, but no actual programs! I am disappointed! I have also been learning it for a week, and here are my first three programs to get you started with!

public class HelloWorld { public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.print ("Hello, World"); }}

public class Robot { String name; Robot (String name) { this.name = name; } void speak (String msg) { System.out.println(msg + name); } public static void main (String[] args) { Robot r = new Robot("debbie"); r.speak("hey there! It's me... "); Robot b = new Robot("bob"); b.speak("My name is... "); } }

import java.util.Scanner;public class Wheel { double radius; Wheel (double radius) { this.radius = radius; } double getCircumference () { return 2 * Math.PI * radius; } double getArea () { return radius * radius * Math.PI; } public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println("Please provide a real."); Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in); double d = s.nextDouble(); System.out.println(d); Wheel w = new Wheel(d); System.out.println(w.getCircumfe rence()); System.out.println(w.getArea()); }}

See if you can figure out what they do?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.