The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

are some of you guys doing a non-compsci degree at uni? I want to study law and economics and was thinking of doing this on the side
Original post by Aklaol
I've just personally always thought that programming a mathematical solution to a problem is a waste of my time. I'd rather do something exciting and fun.

Well, I find it fun! It really depends if you have an interest in mathematics or not. Also, it really isn't. Some mathematical tasks are too tedious (for example, doing something millions of times, potentially to prove/disprove a conjecture via proof by exhaustion), or hard/infeasible, to be done by hand, so programming comes into definite practical usage. It can also help answer interesting questions about mathematics! :smile:

Cool! What have you done with it so far? :smile:
Codecademy is good for beginners, definitely! When I was learning python, I often found that codecademy was quite slow, and it really didn't give me enough to do what I wanted, so I'd say it's good up to a point. You may find it extremely useful, however!
Original post by _gcx
Well, I find it fun! It really depends if you have an interest in mathematics or not. Also, it really isn't. Some mathematical tasks are too tedious (for example, doing something millions of times, potentially to prove/disprove a conjecture via proof by exhaustion), or hard/infeasible, to be done by hand, so programming comes into definite practical usage. It can also help answer interesting questions about mathematics! :smile:

Cool! What have you done with it so far? :smile:

I have a genuine interest in mathematics, however I rather not implement pure mathematics in my programming projects. Whilst maths was essential in some programming projects I've done
e.g:

Spoiler

It's not always something I like to focus on whilst programming. Things like desktop applications don't require heavy maths which is why I enjoy them. Don't get me wrong, without good mathematical knowledge, a lot of my projects wouldn't have existed today, however focusing on projects that require less maths makes programming more fun and less dull.
Do 25% of codeacademy then do this
If you find that route isn't getting you anywhere (as was the case for me), then just look around for problems to solve and learn by doing. I personally think that's a much better way of learning a language.
From the age of about 10 I've been wanting to program but always stopped a few weeks after starting because it was dull and tedious. It was only at University where I properly got into it because we were given problems to solve that were genuinely interesting (not "make a turtle make a fancy shape" but things that were actually interesting like making a forest fire simulation or making a model to track isotope concentrations through an ocean column). If you're somebody who learns by doing rather than reading a tutorial, I think that's a much better way of learning how to program.

Edit: Forgot to quote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good luck :smile:
hi ive just started computing alevel and im using VB to program! ive only just started and am getting to grips.

any helpful websites or tips would be appreciated!!!!
Original post by lucy713
are some of you guys doing a non-compsci degree at uni? I want to study law and economics and was thinking of doing this on the side

Well if you count Physics as a non comsci degree then yeah I am. I'm trying to learn HTML and CSS at the moment
Original post by Craghyrax

Arrrggghhh!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That awkward moment when you discover that HEX values can be abbreviated to just three digits of the full six, meaning that you've been manually typing #0099FF needlessly for the past decade or so :argh: :cry: :doh:

I don't know where you heard this from. But it is wrong. Hexidecimal is base 16. You may be able to round knock off some off the characters, in special circumstances, but there is no rule to be had here i'm afraid. Do you know how to count in hexidecimal for example?
Original post by john2054
I don't know where you heard this from. But it is wrong. Hexidecimal is base 16. You may be able to round knock off some off the characters, in special circumstances, but there is no rule to be had here i'm afraid. Do you know how to count in hexidecimal for example?

She means colours represented as hex, as a quick cheat this is acceptable and functional.

A00
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
I can't be the only person on TSR trying to teach myself programming. Why not introduce yourself and say hi?
What are you learning? What stage are you at? What goals do you have?

All of this writing about coding in java, but no actual programs! I am disappointed! I have also been learning it for a week, and here are my first three programs to get you started with!

public class HelloWorld { public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.print ("Hello, World"); }}

public class Robot { String name; Robot (String name) { this.name = name; } void speak (String msg) { System.out.println(msg + name); } public static void main (String[] args) { Robot r = new Robot("debbie"); r.speak("hey there! It's me... "); Robot b = new Robot("bob"); b.speak("My name is... "); } }

import java.util.Scanner;public class Wheel { double radius; Wheel (double radius) { this.radius = radius; } double getCircumference () { return 2 * Math.PI * radius; } double getArea () { return radius * radius * Math.PI; } public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println("Please provide a real."); Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in); double d = s.nextDouble(); System.out.println(d); Wheel w = new Wheel(d); System.out.println(w.getCircumference()); System.out.println(w.getArea()); }}

See if you can figure out what they do?
Original post by Tootles
There's nothing like a newbie thread to masturbate your ego, is there? :rolleyes:

Well of course I have to brag... This is TSR..... Plus wasn't my post beneficial? Now people know that if they are stuck, then they can come to me with their problem (granted that it's in a language I know). I would also like to take this time to present a very simple algebraic expression:

All of this writing about coding in java, but no actual programs! I am disappointed! I have also been learning it for a week, and here are my first three programs to get you started with!

public class HelloWorld { public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.print ("Hello, World":wink:; }}

public class Robot { String name; Robot (String name) { this.name = name; } void speak (String msg) { System.out.println(msg + name); } public static void main (String[] args) { Robot r = new Robot("debbie":wink:; r.speak("hey there! It's me... ":wink:; Robot b = new Robot("bob":wink:; b.speak("My name is... ":wink:; } }

import java.util.Scanner;public class Wheel { double radius; Wheel (double radius) { this.radius = radius; } double getCircumference () { return 2 * Math.PI * radius; } double getArea () { return radius * radius * Math.PI; } public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println("Please provide a real.":wink:; Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in); double d = s.nextDouble(); System.out.println(d); Wheel w = new Wheel(d); System.out.println(w.getCircumference()); System.out.println(w.getArea()); }}

Great format... Do you expect anybody to actually read that? Pastebin it please?
I suppose I'll introduce myself for the fun of it, even though I'm a professional-level graduated programmer.

I'm also (re-)teaching myself programming because it's been a few months ago I last programmed (at my internship corporation). Unless you are a gifted programming and logic genius (like my internship partner was), you need to constantly keep up your skills, or you will lose those skills almost entirely (like me). The IT industry is a lifelong learning one.

Right now I'm busy studying something else that has more priority, but on my todo list is the following:

- medium-advanced Java, C#, .NET technologies (there are a lot of those, including WCF, Web API,..)
- communication languages such as XML, JSON
- web frameworks such as KnockoutJS, Ember, AngularJS (even though that's a crappy language, there is a lot of demand for it on the IT market)

My goal is to finally get rid of my medium-novice status and grow affinity for programming, even though inherently I don't understand logic (I'm an artist by heart). My biggest goal is to get a job with my skills. I just graduated from a Bachelors in Computer Science, but man have my skills weakened. I need to get back on the boat and start actively re-studying and re-practicing all of this.

Stage I'm at: I'm probably a medium-advanced programmer, depending on how you look at it, like my professor said: "Computer scientist with great potential". I know most of the advanced things you can do with programming as well as software engineering: enterprise design patterns etc.

Furthermore, I know too many technologies to sum up. I'll just list a few:

- Java, C#, PL/SQL, SQL, C/AL, VB .NET, WebAPI, Entity framework, JSON, XML, HTML5, CSS3, JS, servlets, JSP, struts, AngularJS, Android, Spring, Hibernate, distributed systems

If anyone has any programming problems concerning Java or C#, feel free to ask me for assistance.

Happy learning!

public class HelloWorld { public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.print ("Hello, World":wink:; }}

public class Robot { String name; Robot (String name) { this.name = name; } void speak (String msg) { System.out.println(msg + name); } public static void main (String[] args) { Robot r = new Robot("debbie":wink:; r.speak("hey there! It's me... ":wink:; Robot b = new Robot("bob":wink:; b.speak("My name is... ":wink:; } }

import java.util.Scanner;public class Wheel { double radius; Wheel (double radius) { this.radius = radius; } double getCircumference () { return 2 * Math.PI * radius; } double getArea () { return radius * radius * Math.PI; } public static void main (String[] args) { System.out.println("Please provide a real.":wink:; Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in); double d = s.nextDouble(); System.out.println(d); Wheel w = new Wheel(d); System.out.println(w.getCircumference()); System.out.println(w.getArea()); }}

So, from what I can read, your program is like this:

1) You have a HelloWorld class with a main block that accepts commandline arguments. It prints "Hello, World" to System.out.

2) You got into learning about classes and Object-Oriented programming and you made a Robot entity, that has a name, a constructor that takes a name and sets it as the Robot's name.

Then you have a private method named 'speak' (denoting an action) that defines the Robot's behavior. Executing this method makes the Robot say whatever message was passed in as well as whatever name was passed into the constructor.

The Robot is then responsible for its own execution, so a main method has been added. A new Robot instance named "r" called "debbie" is created, the speak method is executed upon that instance and the line "hey there! it's me..." is passed into it.A new Robot is created with instance name "b" and his name is "bob". His speak method is executed and the line "My name is..." is passed in.Consequently, the debbie robot will say "hey there! it's me...debbie" and the bob robot will say "My name is...bob".

Furthermore, we see the use of Java's specialized I/O Scanner class from the Java util package. A Wheel class is defined with a radius attribute.A constructor is defined with one argument 'radius', which will define the Wheel's radius.A function called getCircumference returns a double with the outcome of the local calculation.A similar function getArea() is created.

Then, the Wheel defines the main method, in which the program starts by asking the user to provide valid input. A Scanner will then be responsible for reading that input (as it reads what comes into System.in). A double is defined, representing whatever valid double was passed in by the user and this is then printed out to the user.

Lastly, a Wheel instance named 'w' is created using this provided double. The Wheel's dimensions then get printed out using the calculations on that double.
Original post by kishette
I want to learn how to code, but the vast amount information online makes my head hurt. I tried teaching myself HTML and CSS, but am only at the basic level tbh...

Babysteps, babysteps..
Original post by Aklaol
Well of course I have to brag... This is TSR..... Plus wasn't my post beneficial? Now people know that if they are stuck, then they can come to me with their problem (granted that it's in a language I know). I would also like to take this time to present a very simple algebraic expression:

Please never forget that I am superior than you. <3333.
20 years C and C++ experience, have designed and implemented (via simulation) my own instruction set over a weekend, and wrote a VT100 control library - over another weekend.

Also a real programmer can parse code in any language, even ones they don't know, and can pick up new languages in less than a day.
I want to make a skype group for python once university starts. We would be able to contribute ideas, create new things and possibly build something innovative. If you are interested please send me a private message

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending