The Student Room Group

Should I do Python practice in yr 9 summer holidays?

Hi, I am in year 9 and my summer holidays are coming up. I have chosen computer science for a GCSE as i am decent at coding in class and i like the subject. Is it worth me teaching myself some of the coding basics, if i want to get ahead. As i am a beginner coder. Or am i overthinking it… I would appreciate any advice or coding resources (if you think it is worth me doing it). :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Moonlight:)
Hi, I am in year 9 and my holidays are coming up. I have chosen computer science for a GCSE as i am decent at coding in class and i like the subject. Is it worth me teaching myself some of the coding basics, if i want to get ahead. As i am a beginner coder. Or am i overthinking it… I would appreciate any advice or coding resources (if you think it is worth me doing it). :smile:

If you want to, do it! It’s good to make the most of your free time in these years, but if you don’t enjoy it don’t spend too much time on something just you believe it is productive, it isn’t worth it then.

There are literally thousands of resources to learn Python, just search python tutorials and plenty of playlists will come up starting from basics to advanced Python topics. There are plenty websites such as Codecademy with live environments you can learn python in aswell, it might also be worth learning frameworks that use python or python libraries.

Matplotlib is a python library where you can plot graphs, numpy is a library to work with large arrays and perform operations efficiently on them (often used with matplotlib), Django is a framework for building websites with Python etc and you can also finds thousands of resources to learn how to use these libraries /frameworks
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by grhas98
If you want to, do it! It’s good to make the most of your free time in these years, but if you don’t enjoy it don’t spend too much time on something just you believe it is productive, it isn’t worth it then.

There are literally thousands of resources to learn Python, just search python tutorials and plenty of playlists will come up starting from basics to advanced Python topics. There are plenty websites such as Codecademy with live environments you can learn python in aswell, it might also be worth learning frameworks that use python or python libraries.

Matplotlib is a python library where you can plot graphs, numpy is a library to work with large arrays and perform operations efficiently on them (often used with matplotlib), Django is a framework for building websites with Python etc and you can also finds thousands of resources to learn how to use these libraries /frameworks

Thanks for the help :smile:
Hey, Year 8 taking GCSE Comp Sci early here, we seem to be in a similar position so let me know if you want to help each other with content/Python :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EnigmaChess
Hey, Year 8 taking GCSE Comp Sci early here, we seem to be in a similar position so let me know if you want to help each other with content/Python

Yeah, we could definitely do that :five:
Original post by Moonlight:)
Yeah, we could definitely do that :five:

Awesome, I'll DM you now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending