The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladymarshmallow
In paper 2, I scored out one of my arguments for the proposal and re-wrote it after my conclusion. I marked it with a star, so the marker should realise, but will I be penalised for this?

I shouldn't think so. The examiners are trained to be alert and vigorous, they will look for marks and check all the pages. And if you put an asterisk somewhere, they will surely look. At least I hope so :biggrin:.
there was a guy in my modern studies exam writing in red pen haha and a girl literally highlighting everything in different colours. lovely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do you think the marking instructions will be posted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by weejackie10
When do you think the marking instructions will be posted?

Probably early August/late July :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Aww sweet, I just hate the wait! Once summer comes it'll be fine x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scrabble96
How did everyone find the politics of development question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought it was a good question, better than third world debt or NGOs! I thought conflict was a strange way to start the question. :smile:
See how the question was conflict could you mention war, agriculture etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
for A2, I was thrown off by the question and initially started doing it on the Powers of the parliament and executive but changed my mind and did some on how other MPs and backbenchers can influence decisions. Because I wasn't very sure on the quesion in the exam I made my answer quite generic and I'm regretting that now! Do you think that'll fail since I didn't do the whole essay on the answer or will I get some marks since I made the answer I put relevant?
Hey guys, I'm really worried about modern studies and I wrote about 3/4 sides of that booklet thing per essay, I'm wondering if that'll be enough to secure an A or B? In the past my essays were shorter and since they were accurate and concise they usually were awarded a 13/15. However, the exam was must more stressful and markets appreciate this, so to reiterate my question; will I get a good mark?

Thank you in anticipation!
Original post by Morrowc95
Hey guys, I'm really worried about modern studies and I wrote about 3/4 sides of that booklet thing per essay, I'm wondering if that'll be enough to secure an A or B? In the past my essays were shorter and since they were accurate and concise they usually were awarded a 13/15. However, the exam was must more stressful and markets appreciate this, so to reiterate my question; will I get a good mark?

Thank you in anticipation!

Lengthwise, those essays are good! Don't stress about the amount - quality over quantity and all that :tongue: obviously nobody really knows what you wrote so it's impossible to say, but if you're normally scoring around 13 with shorter essays, I think you'll be fine.
How do you actually get marks or good marks in the DME (22+).
I have used all the sources including A and B. I have also used around 9 pieces of background knowledge. So I'm wondering where the marks come from, I also wrote it out in the full structure etc..? Thanks again I hate exam time so much!!
Reply 1851
I have used all the sources including A and B. I have also used around 9 pieces of background knowledge. So I'm wondering where the marks come from, I also wrote it out in the full structure etc..? Thanks again I hate exam time so much!!

Hasn't your exam been?
Original post by Bonzo10
Hasn't your exam been?

Yes it was on the 9th however, I want to know how to get marks? Read the last comment
Reply 1853
Yes it was on the 9th however, I want to know how to get marks? Read the last comment

I did read it, I'm just wondering why you care anymore haha? Unless your intention is to re-sit if you don't get the grade you want?
I cannot re sit since I'm in 6th year. I only want to know where the marks come from...

I usually got full marks or one mark off in my DMEs in class, I only dropped one mark in my prelim. The marks really come from relevance. You can't stick in BK and hope for the best, it has to make sense and relate to your sources. If you are able to use all your sources at least once, you tend to do well because you can be penalised for not synthesising your sources (dependant on your marker). If you manage to effectively use one source to back up more than one argument by taking different information from the same source you can be marked well. You should try and write three arguments for and two against and structure your answers well.
Original post by EnglishNerd
I usually got full marks or one mark off in my DMEs in class, I only dropped one mark in my prelim. The marks really come from relevance. You can't stick in BK and hope for the best, it has to make sense and relate to your sources. If you are able to use all your sources at least once, you tend to do well because you can be penalised for not synthesising your sources (dependant on your marker). If you manage to effectively use one source to back up more than one argument by taking different information from the same source you can be marked well. You should try and write three arguments for and two against and structure your answers well.

Thank you very much for this. Very informational. I tried to use relevant knowledge as far as possible. I also wrote 3for and 2against.
Thanks again!
Reply 1857
Is anybody else extremely worried for their result for modern studies? I have a feeling i have got a C or something ahhh... I really need a B in order to do advanced higher and its stressing me out! Two months wait is too long i want the result now. It has probably already been graded and my bad grade is on some database right now haha..
Why are you worrying? You've got plenty of time to enjoy summer and just forget about results. No point in stressing at such an early stage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala4
Is anybody else extremely worried for their result for modern studies? I have a feeling i have got a C or something ahhh... I really need a B in order to do advanced higher and its stressing me out! Two months wait is too long i want the result now. It has probably already been graded and my bad grade is on some database right now haha..

Me too. :frown: I didn't even finish one of my essays and I'm almost certain that I left some sentences unfinished in my other ones. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I think my performance in English was below par and I'm aiming for 4 As and a B this year. That means that I can afford to get a B in either English or modern studies, but not both.
I've probably made my marker extremely grumpy... It's so hard to gauge how I've done. For example, I thought I'd absolutely bombed the prelim miserably, but managed to get a high B, and I recall that in the modern studies SG exam last year, I only wrote 2 sentences for one of the 8 mark questions, yet I still got a 1 for KU. Admittedly, that was SG level, but still. I don't want to get my hopes up, however. I don't really feel that I ever "clicked" with higher modern studies, whereas I found history far more straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending