Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
if you could see me now
cecilia ahern
finished it today actually i couldnt put it down :smile:
che_guevara
Existentialism is a humanism - Sartre

Fun :biggrin: Gotta love him.

I'm reading Stephen Fry's 'Hippopotamus' atm, interspersed with the Narnia books (swotting up before film, lol :p: Also they're excellent comfort reading.)
Don Quixote: part one
Just finished Trainspotting, I'm rereading The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus 2) at the moment, then I'm probably going to start Hard Times (Dickens) because I've got to do it for my GCSE Prose Study. :frown:
Reply 824
catch 22
notts
catch 22

That's a brilliant book. :smile: How are you finding it?
Reply 826
Hashshashin
That's a brilliant book. :smile: How are you finding it?

pretty amazing.

only read 3 chapters though :smile:

dont rly find as much time as i should to read..
Hashshashin
then I'm probably going to start Hard Times (Dickens) because I've got to do it for my GCSE Prose Study. :frown:

Don't put the sad smiley! That's a brilliant book! You'll love it :biggrin:
Notts, keep at it. It just gets better and better. :smile:

Natalie Lane
Don't put the sad smiley! That's a brilliant book! You'll love it :biggrin:

I'll ignore the fact that you don't exactly know me well enough to judge that. :rolleyes: :wink:

I'm not sure though, I haven't started it, but from the blurb and opening it on a few random pages, it doesn't really look like my thing. I've never been into Dickens anyway, although to be honest I've not tried much of his at all. I'm just getting bad vibes from it, that's all. :p:
Hashshashin
I'll ignore the fact that you don't exactly know me well enough to judge that. :rolleyes: :wink:

Ouch :frown:

I'm not sure though, I haven't started it, but from the blurb and opening it on a few random pages, it doesn't really look like my thing. I've never been into Dickens anyway, although to be honest I've not tried much of his at all. I'm just getting bad vibes from it, that's all. :p:

Give it a try and pay close attention to the characters and the charicatures as well as their developments. You might not like it as a fun-to-read-novel but I'm pretty sure (in my more than limited contact with you) that you'll appreciate his brilliance
Natalie Lane
Ouch :frown:

:frown: Sorry love! :hugs:

Natalie Lane
Give it a try and pay close attention to the characters and the charicatures as well as their developments. You might not like it as a fun-to-read-novel but I'm pretty sure (in my more than limited contact with you) that you'll appreciate his brilliance

Oh, I'll be reading it through thoroughly, no question about that - I need high coursework marks because I always make a bodge of English exams. No, my main complaint is that I find it completely impossible to read more than one book at once, which means I've got shift a huge queue of books I'm dying to read to make room for one I can't say I'm looking forward to. :frown:
A_Singh
The Wizard Knight is the first book I'm reading by him, I think. I dunno, it's written in first person, and it seems like it's trying to build up to something... but i've read the first 140 pages or so and the main character doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere. Also, it seems a little disjointed, because there are big time gaps and a lot of information that seems fairly important is missed out, which sort of confuses the reader lol. But i'm sticking with it, I'll see it out to the end (hopefully).

Does any of the above criticism seem tro apply to any of the stuff you've read? I'm thinking not, going by your high praise of the author... but you never know :biggrin:
Wolfe goes in for unreliable narrators and unreliable narration, which I like, I'm afraid. An ultimate example is probably Soldier in the Mist and soldier of Arete: the hero has no memory, but that doesn't stop him being the nearrator!
Weejimmie
Wolfe goes in for unreliable narrators and unreliable narration, which I like, I'm afraid. An ultimate example is probably Soldier in the Mist and soldier of Arete: the hero has no memory, but that doesn't stop him being the nearrator!

I think i bought a compilation of those stories for my father - Llatro in the myst i believe. Ive been meaning to get a new Wolfe book for months now. I read his Book of the New Sun a couple of years ago and was totally blown away. He is one of the few writers i would feel comfortable describing as a genius and he is unparalleled in modern sci-fi/fantasy imo.
An Siarach:
Noticing you're an SF fan in London, do you know: http://www.fantasycentre.demon.co.uk/ ? Well worth a visit.
Weejimmie
An Siarach:
Noticing you're an SF fan in London, do you know: http://www.fantasycentre.demon.co.uk/ ? Well worth a visit.

That looks excellent. Thanks a lot.
Reply 835
How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World - Francis Wheen
Re-reading "Magic Molcules" by Susan Aldridge and "The Selfish Gene" By Richard Dawkins, bloody interviews! *mutters* I can't wait till I have the time to read some fiction again!
Reply 837
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, it's not that good but I'll finish it.
Weejimmie

Haha, that puts me in mind of an excellent author, K J Parker. He has a series out called The Scavenger Trilogy which is all about a dude who one days wakes up in the aftermath of a battle, and realises two thing:

First, he's the only one alive. Second, he doesn't remember anything about who he is, or where he's from.

It's a top, top series, from a first rate author :smile:. If you're into that sort of thing, you should read it. It's in first person, and Parker's style of writing is very dry and sarcastic, just my kind of humour :smile:. I only laughed as many times while I was reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
I'll add Parker to my TBR list. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending