The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

just finish High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.. moving onto the huge list of stuff my english teacher wants to be able to put on my novel list which is destined to make my brain hurt. How bad is Salman Rushdie really?
noofruit
How bad is Salman Rushdie really?

Who said he was bad in the first place? :confused:
Reply 882
The First Forty-Nine Stories - Hemingway

Who said he was bad in the first place?

Not bad exactly.. just my english teacher and the people i borrowed the book from and people in my class who have read him say he is indiscribably boring.. Is it true?
I'm reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown... just to see what all the fuss is about :wink:
Reply 885
i've read that

penny jordan - the hidden years
Reply 886
I have 'Henry's Six Wives' by Antonia Fraser to read, but I have been distracted by 'Chick Flicks: Theories and Memories of the Feminist Film Movement' by B. Ruby Rich.
Reply 887
Seven Types of Ambiguity, William Empson, and The 120 Days of Sodom, by the Marquis de Sade. And that's the oddest sentence I've written today...
Reply 888
The Shadow of the Wind :smile:
Reply 889
Hmmm, I'm supposed to be reading Un Dac De billes (it's in French) for my coursework, but I've been sidetracked by Rachel Klein's the moth diaries-not v. literary, but it certainly keeps you enthralled!
noofruit
Not bad exactly.. just my english teacher and the people i borrowed the book from and people in my class who have read him say he is indiscribably boring.. Is it true?

I've not read it, I have a couple of friends at school who have though, and they have certainly enjoyed it.
Reply 891
I'm re-reading the Dance of Death (by Douglas Preston + Lincoln Child)
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm not reading any novels right now (I've done enough reading recently).

However I'm browsing through some Horace, and Phil Larkin poetry.
I finished book two, Enchanter, by Sara Douglass, and now started book three, Starman of the Axis trilogy.

They're quite good books, with some religious symbolism that sort of parallel's the bible, and would probably have been considered blasphemous in times past lol. But it's a lovely read, fantasy obviously, full of magic etc. :biggrin: I recommend them to anyone.
Reply 894
atm i'm dipping into boccaccio - the decameron.
Reply 895
Great expectations, Dickens. Its a wonderful book and im throughly enjoying it.
Reading Lolita in Tehran- can't remember the author- a fascinating look at teaching literature in Islamic Tehran. A mixture of lit crit, sociology, anthropology and feminism, with each strengthening the other.
Reading "Kafka on the shore" by Murakami Haruki

Not too sure about it to be honest, it doesn't help that the translation is a bit shakey. It all seems a bit trashy after reading Oe.

Has anyone read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the proper one, by Lo Kuan-Chung)? I was wondering if it was any good...
I always have more than one book on the go..I'm currently re-reading 1984..how can anyone fail to adore this book?

I'm also reading a book called 'the curious incident of the dog in the night-time' by Mark Haddon. It's written from the point of view of a kid with autism, quite strange to get into but a very interesting read.
Hi!I'm reading A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams atm for English. First of all when I didn't know what it was about I thought it sounded boring, then when I heard a bit about it I still found it boring. My teacher gave out the book and I was still bored, but when I was walking home i had this urge to read the whole book then and there! :redface: But now I've read about 4 scenes of it and I'm bored again- I don't like it; it's horrible. :frown: Why can't the exam board choose something more interesting for us to do?! I wouldn't mind doing Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth again, though we're also doing another Shakespeare play. Bring back drama and brilliant plots! :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending