The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9340
Original post by ella37
never let me go by kazuo ishiguro.
been wanting to read this book since the movie came out, so i'm glad i finally got hold of a copy! :biggrin:

Absolutely amazing! My previous post in this thread was about that very book :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
Now you've caught me out. :smile: I've watched Blade Runner though, does that count? :tongue:

Haha there are quite a few differences between the two, but it still counts :smile:
Original post by jonasdb
In search of schrodinger's cat :smile:

Is an interesting book, read schrodinger's kittens after :tongue: I'm reading Incompetence by Rob Grant at the min, is absolutely fantastic... bit like Douglas Adams
Original post by yo-less
Ewan McGreggor?

i'm reading The Wind Singer...lalala :biggrin:

HAh I started reading that YEARS ago and never finished... So Im currently reading it too, thats how it works, right?

I just finished the bell jar :confused:

Now starting war & peace :biggrin:
Was reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami but I gave up. It's so depressing and nothing happens. Sure, it's a bit random. That's it. So now I'm reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. A clueless and naive little boy becomes the apprentice of Death/Grim Reaper. So funny =D
Original post by Lafayette Blues
Ha thanks :smile: but tbh I probably wouldn't like it at all if I had to read it. I did P&P at school though -_-

P.S. Slaughterhouse 5 is totally on my to-read list!

That's very true; I do hate when you can't appreciate a good book because you're being made to read and reread, without choice in the matter :rolleyes:

And awesome! It's an excellent book, I think you'll enjoy it :biggrin:

Original post by ShaolinTemple
So now I'm reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. A clueless and naive little boy becomes the apprentice of Death/Grim Reaper. So funny =D

I adore that one :biggrin: I even discussed it in my university interview, and started giggling as I described points of it. Have you read any more of the discworld series? :biggrin:
Five Years of My Life: An Innocent Man in Guantanamo - horrific and makes me very angry.
Original post by Kayeffsee
That's very true; I do hate when you can't appreciate a good book because you're being made to read and reread, without choice in the matter :rolleyes:

And awesome! It's an excellent book, I think you'll enjoy it :biggrin:

I adore that one :biggrin: I even discussed it in my university interview, and started giggling as I described points of it. Have you read any more of the discworld series? :biggrin:

I have not! This is in fact my first Terry Pratchett book. It was recommended to me by my friend and I'm glad I listened to him =D. In fact, I hate reading, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles is my first ever book that I've properly sat down and tried to read. It almost confirmed my hatred of reading until I picked up Mort.

"Mort", said Mort automically.

"My name is Mortimer, they call me Mort"

"SO WHY DO YOU THINK I SET YOU UP TO THAT TASK" ..."I think you were knees deep in horse**** to tell you the truth" LOOL
Just finished reading The Nostradamus Prophecy by Theresa Breslin. Such a good book, although the ending was pretty obvious from the beginning.

Now I'm just starting 'The Island at the End of the World' by Sam Taylor. Randomly picked it up in the library, so I thought i'd give it a go.
Reply 9349
Original post by dipless
Is an interesting book, read schrodinger's kittens after :tongue: I'm reading Incompetence by Rob Grant at the min, is absolutely fantastic... bit like Douglas Adams

After a quick google it looks like it might ba a good idea to move on to Schrodinger's kitten after my current book. For some reason I was not aware of it. thanks :smile:
Original post by ShaolinTemple
I have not! This is in fact my first Terry Pratchett book. It was recommended to me by my friend and I'm glad I listened to him =D. In fact, I hate reading, The Wind Up Bird Chronicles is my first ever book that I've properly sat down and tried to read. It almost confirmed my hatred of reading until I picked up Mort.

"Mort", said Mort automically.

"My name is Mortimer, they call me Mort"

"SO WHY DO YOU THINK I SET YOU UP TO THAT TASK" ..."I think you were knees deep in horse**** to tell you the truth" LOOL

Aha! Well it's an excellent example of his writing to start with :biggrin: kudos.

Pahahaha gotta love him. I think my favourite quote is something along the lines of:

'You're dead,' he said.
Keli waited. She couldn't think of any suitable reply. 'I'm not' lacked a certain style, while 'Is it serious?' seemed somehow too frivolous' :biggrin:

__

Just about to start rereading Wizard and Glass by King as I never quite got through it. Anyone else read the Dark Tower series?
Curses and Counter-Curses by Professor Vindictus Viridian
its really good :smile:
Original post by Kayeffsee
Just about to start rereading Wizard and Glass by King as I never quite got through it. Anyone else read the Dark Tower series?

Yes, it's one of my favourite series. :biggrin: Wizard and Glass is hard to get through because it's essentially a massive flashback, but it's worth it in the end. :yep:
Reply 9353
Original post by anoif_
Absolutely amazing! My previous post in this thread was about that very book :smile:

i've read one of ishiguro's past work, and i like his style. very simple and easy to read, but there's usually something dark in the story. i've got a feeling never let me go is the same!
Wuthering Heights, for like the 5th time.
Reply 9355
Original post by ella37
i've read one of ishiguro's past work, and i like his style. very simple and easy to read, but there's usually something dark in the story. i've got a feeling never let me go is the same!

Have you read Remains of the Day? That's next on my list :smile: You're right about this one having a dark element, it kind of haunts the whole book but it's very subtle.
Huckleberry Finn for English Lit, ugh.
Wolf Hall because I've developed a sudden obsession for Thomas Cromwell. I don't even - dude can be awesome.
has anyone ever read "A Fraction of the Whole" by Steve Toltz?
it's literally my favourite book ever (bar harry potter haha), it's like 700 pages long or so but those pages just fly by and I just think it's an excellent book but no one else I know has ever read it!
Original post by alex_hk90
Yes, it's one of my favourite series. :biggrin: Wizard and Glass is hard to get through because it's essentially a massive flashback, but it's worth it in the end. :yep:

-high five to that- :biggrin:

And yeahhh, the flashback's was where I got a little lost and eventually stopped reading last time. But I want to know what happens so this time I'll be more determined :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending