The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yawn
If there was a way it would be a good suggestion.

However, in the absence of being able to ask - the fact that those with the least possessions give the most to others would suggest that they would prefer material poverty rather than emotional poverty.

Yes I saw a film about that last week, Robin of Sherwood I think it was called.
Reply 21
technik
i knew it was going to be funny stuff.

Now what is it they say about sarcasm?

Oh yes - it's the common bastion of the 'witless' :wink:
Reply 22
yawn

However, in the absence of being able to ask - the fact that those with the least possessions give the most to others would suggest that they would prefer material poverty rather than emotional poverty.

As I was saying - those least able to give, give most.

http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/asp/search/ncvo/main.aspx?siteID=1&sID=20&subSID=118&documentID=2167

This link relates only to Britain, but it is a common trend throughout the world.

Now why should that be - that those who are the poorest give or share more in real terms than those who are the wealthiest?

Is it because of their poverty they are more in touch with humanity? Does wealth alienate us from the needy?
Reply 23
Yes, people can be nasty, can't they? But i don't know that it's so much wanting to be superior rather than basic selfishness.
yawn
In Australia we have the indigenous Aborigine who has been subjugated by the white nations. Even here we have a hierachy - lowest = Aborigine followed by Asians - then eastern europeans, followed by white europeans. The old Australians are superior to the 'new' - remember that those of us from this country have the greatest number of ancestors amongst the population of old Australians!

huh?
Reply 24
yawn
I came onto this forum tonight feeling angry - angry with a realisation that we, as humans, are the pits!.

I agree with you - this forum makes me angry too, I've said it before, that some of the attitudes on here, and the things people come out with, are quite frankly, scary. Scary in the respect that some of my generation seem to be completely self absorbed and totally lack compassion. Its all 'take take take', but noone gives anything anymore. People are so obsessed with consumerism, meaning that human begins are looked upon merely as ecomonic units, for example 'that person on benefits is bleeding the country dry' or 'how irresponsible is that stupid young pauper girl getting pregnant which is going to cost ME money'. Yes, i can see people's concerns, but its no excuse to completely lack respect for other human beings.
Reply 25
sophieD
I agree with you - this forum makes me angry too, I've said it before, that some of the attitudes on here, and the things people come out with, are quite frankly, scary. Scary in the respect that some of my generation seem to be completely self absorbed and totally lack compassion. Its all 'take take take', but noone gives anything anymore. People are so obsessed with consumerism, meaning that human begins are looked upon merely as ecomonic units, for example 'that person on benefits is bleeding the country dry' or 'how irresponsible is that stupid young pauper girl getting pregnant which is going to cost ME money'. Yes, i can see people's concerns, but its no excuse to completely lack respect for other human beings.

The complete opposite. If someone is needlessly taking money from the public purse, then they are needlessly taking it from the NHS, (causing deaths) and from education (confining people of poorer backgrounds to reduced opportunity). I think if you are really in favour of equal opportunity, people who unfairly detract from the system should be condemned loudly and with vigour.
Reply 26
foolfarian
Well they are not actually bottom. They are still top. you don't get white workers, but white landowners. They tend to be haves - not havenots. They are being killed by jealous mugabe zealots, not those of higher social status.

They are not top, and they are hardly land owners anymore, white people have lost 90% of their land by being killed off and run out of zimbabwe.

Latest

Trending

Trending