The Student Room Group

best degrees of the future?

Just interested to know what everyone thinks
Original post by Anonymous
Just interested to know what everyone thinks

A bit of a loaded question in my opinion, if you're referring to careers. This is because securing a job takes more than just your degree, and there usually comes with 101 different other factors.

If you're are referring to the developments and industry and what would be of beneficial areas of research, then there are a number of possible areas that would be interesting in my opinon:

Computer science and AI - mostly due to the rise of AI and what you can do with it

Neuroscience - considering the developments of neuralink/AI and computer chips connected to brains

Economics - always topical considering how the industries are developing, rising inequality

Finance - although I have a number of criticisms of how financial research is carried out

Accounting - always topical, but more prominently so if it's related more to management accounting in my opinion

Data analysis/data science - due to the rise in AI

Cryptography and cybersecurity - rise in security issues

Materials science - developments in various materials have been of great interest recently, especially those with certain properties and that you can produce at economical costs

Pharmacology - medicine is always a topical subject, especially the economics and the alternatives

Engineering - other than the rise of AI, there is a growing need to have a number of problems resolved. Personally I think anyone says that we have invented everything we would ever need is ignorant or lack any imagination

Food science and agriculture - with rising food demands, nutrition has been an increasing important topic, as well as for general health reasons as people become more aware and conscious of what constitutes good health (I think)

Urban planning - accomodating drastically changing populations isn't going to be easy

Sociology - with rising populations and increasing issues surrounding crime and psychological health, it's going to be a topic area of research

Politics - because there is always a centre stage for drama, if it doesn't send you to sleep first; it's just unfortunately the drama would affect entire countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending