The Student Room Group

Question Everything

People are all too vulnerable to manipulation through the media and what they choose to read and watch on a daily basis. Young people are especially prone to being led by falsehoods, exaggerations and made-up stories, so it's important to question everything you read, everything you watch, and everything people say. The truth is something that can be turned on its head, muddled with and obscured, but we have a choice to say to ourselves "wait a minute, this just doesn't add up." If we don't question stuff, then we're allowing the deceit to grow and grow until everyone believes in falsehoods and lies.

I suppose a drawback to this way of thinking, is that many people like to group together and be part of a norm, so questioning stuff could be beyond their comprehension and understanding because they'd rather follow and stay loyal to the group.

Don't trust everything and everybody because there are loads of people who can dupe you into believing what they want you to believe. The media are undisputed masters of this art, but you don't need to let them get away with tricking you.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
People are all too vulnerable to manipulation through the media and what they choose to read and watch on a daily basis. Young people are especially prone to being led by falsehoods, exaggerations and made-up stories, so it's important to question everything you read, everything you watch, and everything people say. The truth is something that can be turned on its head, muddled with and obscured, but we have a choice to say to ourselves "wait a minute, this just doesn't add up." If we don't question stuff, then we're allowing the deceit to grow and grow until everyone believes in falsehoods and lies.

I suppose a drawback to this way of thinking, is that many people like to group together and be part of a norm, so questioning stuff could be beyond their comprehension and understanding because they'd rather follow and stay loyal to the herd.

Don't trust everything and everybody because there are loads of people who can dupe you into believing what they want you to believe. The media are undisputed masters of this art, but you don't need to let them get away with tricking you.

ok? you sound like a french skeptic from the 17th century lol
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
ok? you sound like a french skeptic from the 17th century lol

I'll take that as a complement.

I suppose a drawback to this way of thinking, is that many people like to group together and be part of a norm, so questioning stuff could be beyond their comprehension and understanding because they'd rather follow and stay loyal to the herd.

yes the media are the worst. They have a way of twisting the truth!
I'll take that as a complement.

you shouldn't really. the lack of certainty and doubt that arose after a period of instability led to the rise of absolute rulers such as Louis XIV who could basically do whatever they wanted with very few checks

I think you're right... but the problem is (and TBF tabloid news papers and other gutter media have known this for years)... is that, by and large, people are either too lazy or too stupid to think for themselves... so it's far easier to just believe something because "some big-important source says it's true" rather than to challenge them and do your own research on the matter.

Having said that, even when people try and do their research, they'll tend to see or believe what they want to. However, if you have a theory, it's far more effective if you actively look for the evidence to DISPROVE it, and fail at doing so, rather than simply looking for evidence that supports your theory (confirmation bias). To illustrate this, say, I have a theory that all swans are white... I could go all around the country (and beyond) and look for white swans and count them, making any necessary notes. Nonetheless, I would only have to find ONE black swan, and I've disproved it.

Considering a real life example, if you look at the people who are brainwashed by the incel propaganda, you can see how / why people get drawn in because it's far far easier to blame all your problems on something you've absolutely no control over, rather than confronting, challenging and dealing with your own inadequacies. However, none of the incel theories ever really stand up to real scrutiny.
Couldn't this entire thread be abridged to 'People, Sheep, Etc'? :P
Original post by StriderHort
Couldn't this entire thread be abridged to 'People, Sheep, Etc'? :P

I'd rather not label people and TSR may not like that either.
I'd rather not label people and TSR may not like that either.

I dunno if just referring to herds is a particularly effective way around that, same meaning really?
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno if just referring to herds is a particularly effective way around that, same meaning really?

I didn't mention herds anywhere in my post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending