The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
This has turned into a pretty stupid argument. One that I pretty much summed up in my first post. There are many different ways to define how rich a country is. It's not even always that straight forward to define how rich an individual is, and for a country there's even more ways to define it. On average people in Ireland are wealthier. So you could say the country is richer because the average person has more money than in the UK. However the UK has a bigger economy, so you could say it's richer in that sense. There's no point arguing about which is the correct definition of "rich" because if you are going to use a word that is so unspecific they are both acceptable definitions of it.
bansheeee*
ireland has about the same popualtion as scotland and half of wales, if the GDP of scotland and wales was calculated it would be less than the UK's GDP, does this mean its poor? no , it just has a smaller population, its all relative.

it depend how wealth is defined.

The UK has a higher GDP than Ireland, so it is wealthier since it produces more goods/services. but Ireland is wealthier in terms of living standards.

Besides, the development of a country is defined by how high or low its living standards are, so yes Ireland is more developed than the UK is now. But having said this, once the pound sterling recovers UK GDP per head would rise again, and be closer to Ireland's.
bansheeee*
sure..what is it then?

you really want me to say it on a public internet forum? fair enough, since u asked.

Spoiler

Reply 123
Renner
No it doesn’t, it means Ireland has a better wealth to population ratio.

yes, people in Ireland are richer than people in england (or people in england are poorer than people in ireland). similarly to how people in the uk are richer those in indonesia, which means that the country is richer.
Reply 124
bansheeee*
yes, people in Ireland are richer than people in england (or people in england are poorer than people in ireland). similarly to how people in the uk are richer those in indonesia, which means that the country is richer.

By your reckoning then Ireland is richer than the USA, which you know as well as I is pure lunacy.

Your talking about the wealth of a nation, which is GDP not GDP per capita. Also figures may have changed since the recession; Ireland has the largest external dept in the world of 811%. Also GDP per capita isn’t really how you work out weather the people are richer or not, for that you need to work out the average wage then factor in living costs.
Reply 125
Renner
By your reckoning then Ireland is richer than the USA, which you know as well as I is pure lunacy.

well then why is ( according to the world back tables )the USA listed as number 6th richest and france as the 12th if smaller countries are defined as richer because of their small population? and Ireland is ahead of the USA even though it has a population similar to france? They don't make tables listing the richest countries if they are unfair.

and its not by my reckoning, it's by world bank tables' .
Reply 126
bansheeee*
well then why is ( according to the world back tables )the USA listed as number 6th richest and france as the 12th if smaller countries are defined as richer because of their small population? and Ireland is ahead of the USA even though it has a population similar to france? They don't make tables listing the richest countries if they are unfair.

The Irish population is only four million; the French population is 61 million.

Population is just one factor when working out GDP per capita, let’s work it out shall we:

Ireland GDP per capita = 247 Bill / 4 mil = $61705
USA GDP per capita = 13.84 Trill / 304 mil = $45500
France GDP per capita = 2.56 Trill / 61.5 mil = $41600
UK GDP per capita = 2.13 Trill / 61 mil = $34900

Ireland has a small population which allows it to have a large GDP per capita with a modest overall GDP (wealth), Britain and France have a GDP of about 10 times higher than Ireland but a population of about fourteen times that of Ireland which is why they get a lower GDP per capita but as you can see the overall wealth (GDP) is much higher.
Reply 127
bansheeee*

Interesting you deleted the second half of Renner's post...

They never mentioned the relative size of the countries, as you say for GDP/capita it doesnt matter.

What does matter when asking who's 'richer' is the GDP/capita and debt/capita.

If someone earns 24k a year but has a 300k unsecured loan are they really richer than someone on only 20k but debt free?
Reply 128
Quady
Interesting you deleted the second half of their post...
What did she say?
Reply 129
Renner
What did she say?

I meant of your post where you talk about the debt.
Reply 130
rajandkwameali
it depend how wealth is defined.

The UK has a higher GDP than Ireland, so it is wealthier since it produces more goods/services.

the UK produces less goods and services per population than ireland,and its also poorer per population, the UK has a bigger population so it should produce ten times more money than ireland, the America produces more goods and services than France, therefor its richer when divided by the population .
Reply 131
Quady
Interesting you deleted the second half of Renner's post...

They never mentioned the relative size of the countries, as you say for GDP/capita it doesnt matter.

What does matter when asking who's 'richer' is the GDP/capita and debt/capita. ?

no its not, it has to be divided by the population to be fair, America is richer than france when divided by the population , but Ireland is richer than america when divided by the population even though france and ireland are nearly the same size, so it has to be divided by the population. The world bank tables of richer countries isnt there for a joke.
Reply 132
bansheeee*
no its not, it has to be divided by the population to be fair, America is richer than france when divided by the population , but Ireland is richer than america when divided by the population even though france and ireland are nearly the same size, so it has to be divided by the population. The world bank tables of richer countries isnt there for a joke.

You only answered the part that I agreed with you on.

-----------------------

You're ignoring anyone who talks about debt.

A high income isn't the same as being rich.

Latest

Trending

Trending