The Student Room Group

How much would you charge for babysitting?

I'm thinking about doing some babysitting in my spare evenings for a bit of extra cash, but I've really no idea how much to charge. I've asked quite a few people and have had suggestions from £5 an hour to £15 an hour, with some people suggesting that I charge per child per hour.

I don't know what the most reasonable charge would be or what people expect to pay, as on the one hand I don't want to overcharge, but on the other hand I want to earn a decent bit of money.

Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would personally charge the life of the child. :dontknow:
Reply 2
Do you have any experience/qualifications in the area? If not, I'd say £5/6 per hour.
Reply 3
cpj1987
Do you have any experience/qualifications in the area? If not, I'd say £5/6 per hour.

Well, I've worked in the children's department of Clarks for three years but I'm not sure if that really counts. This is just casual babysitting more than anything.
£15 an hour sounds enough.

Although if your new £5/£6 an hour.

Depends what people will pay.

Times are hard these days.
when I was 13 and I used to do babysitting I used to get £2 an hour (looking after 3 kids) lol. Oh how times have changed.
Reply 6
Babysitters get above the minimum wage now? :s-smilie:

When my sis was doing it the going rate in my area was £10 for 8pm-midnight. So basically £2.50 an hour.
Reply 7
I have no qualifications but some experience with Rainbows/Guides etc and work in a nursery (with references to prove it) and I charge £5 an hour.

If you're qualified, parents will be willing to pay more I'm sure.
Reply 8
I've done a lot of babysitting before but I never used to have a special 'rate' even though they all always asked me. I'd say £5 an hour, £7 an hour after midnight, although factor in what you'll be expected to do. If its just entertain the kids for an hour then put them to bed then I would feel bad charging too much. If you are requested to make them dinner or something then I'd consider that a little more work and charge accordingly.

One couple I babysat for used to pay me much more than they should, about £25 a night and their kids were perfect (the older one used to tell me 'I think we should go to bed now!') My Auntie and Uncle used to pay £15 which was a little too much but they used to force it into my hand at the end of the night. Babysitting my cousins though wasn't really 'work', its easy to get them to go to bed etc when you want because they can't really say no.

llacerta
Well, I've worked in the children's department of Clarks for three years but I'm not sure if that really counts. This is just casual babysitting more than anything.

Me too! Go us and our shoe fitting expertise.
Reply 9
llacerta

I'd say £5/6 an hour then. :smile:
I'd not specify first time, see how much I get and use that as a guide. My friend has been doing some baby sitting recently and she's been getting about £7 an hour! Depends who you babysit for and how guilty they feel about leaving their children :p:
Reply 11
The times when I've done babysitting (which was for friends and family), I've usually just taken whatever the people were willing to give me, rather than telling them my "rates" when they first approached me.

I think the least anyone has ever offered me was about £5/hour, which isn't exactly bad for what you have to do.
Reply 12
PinkMobilePhone
when I was 13 and I used to do babysitting I used to get £2 an hour (looking after 3 kids) lol. Oh how times have changed.

I thought you had to be at least 14 before you were allowed to look after another child?
I used to get £50-£60 for babysitting. :eek:
My mum recommended me to some parents at the school my brothers go, they'd only be gone for 5-8 hours and I got that 3 times. :eek: Haha. I've only babysat 4-5 times.
They were like how much do you charge and I was like i'm not really sure.:o: Only 16/17 at the time and ended up with that. Was rather coole back then. Not bad for sitting there watching tv and keeping an eye to make sure they are ok.
But I dunno £5/6 an hour if I were to have children.
Reply 14
Spanghew
I thought you had to be at least 14 before you were allowed to look after another child?

There's no law on it.
My sister does so at 12, but charges only £10 a night as clearly she's not qualified or experienced, and only does so if the children are asleep.
Reply 15
£6per hour sounds good to me. £15 an hour sounds mental
£5-£6 an hour.
Spanghew

nope there's no legal age.

mind you I'd never let a 13 year old look after my kids personally, but this particular mother didn't seem to mind that I was watching her children :erm:
each to their own I guess.
Reply 18
I think I'm leaning towards £6 an hour. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! They're much appreciated.
Reply 19
£15 an hour? That's crazy I would never pay that, you would be looking at £60 minimum to go out for a short evening lol.

Remember in most cases you will do 1 hours work, if any, then sit there watching TV for the rest of the night so I wouldnt be expecting much unless you live in a rich area.

I would say £20 for 8-12pm and a a selection of food and drink is good for what you actually have to do seeing as most part time jobs pay less than that and are harder work. If you had 3 or 4 kids then maybe more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending