The Student Room Group

UK jobs for 14 year olds

Hi, I’ve been desperate to get a job since I was about 11 and now that I can at least get a working permit in the UK, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some chains that would hire people my age. I don’t have many small shops/cafés around me that would hire me and most pubs say I must be 16+ so I was hoping someone could help me find a proper part time job (not babysitting or dog walking etc.). I would greatly appreciate any comments - I just really want to start being able to save/spend money and getting work experience! If there aren’t any places that you know of, please tell me about other ways to get a fair amount of money regularly e.g. virtual tutoring that would actually pay people my age.
Original post by bookw0rmm
Hi, I’ve been desperate to get a job since I was about 11 and now that I can at least get a working permit in the UK, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some chains that would hire people my age. I don’t have many small shops/cafés around me that would hire me and most pubs say I must be 16+ so I was hoping someone could help me find a proper part time job (not babysitting or dog walking etc.). I would greatly appreciate any comments - I just really want to start being able to save/spend money and getting work experience! If there aren’t any places that you know of, please tell me about other ways to get a fair amount of money regularly e.g. virtual tutoring that would actually pay people my age.

You'll have to invent time travel back to the Victorian era because child labour has since been outlawed.
Reply 2
Paper round is where it’s at. Always demand for there for reliable staff

Most people won’t hire a 14 year old, you might not be able to find a proper job. Do you have any previous experiences or anything on your cv? Maybe you can try and find jobs as a kitchen Porter since they are usually looking for anyone.

These are the rules for child employment https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

They basically mean it's not worth trying to employ someone before they are 16. That's why all the options you are getting are babysitting, dog walking etc - it's all you are able to do.
Hey, sorry I'm so late to this, but you should try gaining some volunteer experience. Whilst many will be reluctant to hire you for money because of your age, places run by volunteers (charity shops, local village run shops, libraries etc) would be happy to have your help. This will help you get a paying job later on when you are legally allowed to get a job in a pub etc, trust me. You'll look so much better if you say "I've worked/volunteered here, here and here" than if you don't have any experience. As we're leading up to summer, some local libraries do summer reading challenges or accept summer volunteers. Most that I've seen say you have to be a minimum age 14.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending