The Student Room Group

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh - Revision Overload

<Mutual rant session>

For all those revising for A levels at the moment, holding an Oxford offer - (unless its just me feeling melancholy and trying to buck myself up)

Hows revision going? - Mine is good, but after doing it everyday for 20 days I just feel depressed. Ironically doing 4 or 5 hours work a day isnt the problem - its the fact that its so abstract and not focused on a particular essay or project.

Do you feel confident? - Despite repeatedly telling myself I've revised at least double the amount I did last year, have quite a few 'surplus' UMS (and need about 70% UMS) and have deeper understanding particularly in History and English - there is something making me worry SO MUCH more than before.

Do you still want to go to Oxford? - For me, I want it more than ever - revising History has made me realize just how interested I am in it, and has rekindled my desire to study in such a stimulating environment. Sad as it sounds, I'm looking forward to working harder than I have before....

Anyone feeling similar? Is this malaise normal.....?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's easier for the scientists. 2 hours the night before the exam is enough... I got physics (Cambridge) on Saturday. Doing the revision now makes me feel hard to breath.
Reply 2
I'd say you're far from alone...
I'm worrying excessively about exams and how much revision i'm doing and i've known all the stuff on the syllabus since easter and i can get low Bs/high Cs in all my subjects to get As overall... nevertheless i panic. a lot.
last year i did hardly any properly organised revision, and did fine... i don't know why i can't accept that everything will be okay this year...

20 days of revision in a row sounds like a lot though... i'm only on 11 or something since study leave started...

i can't wait for oxford either (grades permitting, of course) - i'm so very very sick of working on this stuff and doing past questions that i've been doing all year...
Reply 3
I'm sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? Science subjects are just as hard to learn as humanities - more so from my personal experience.
Maybe your just a naturally superb scientist and can learn work instantly...because looking at your grammar, its not English where your strength lies!
Reply 4
Traditionally it is easier to get higher marks in the sciences than in the arts...This is backed up by the fact that more people get 100% in science A Levels than arts A Levels.
Reply 5
I did 2 hours of revision for A'level Chemistry, 2 hours for Physics, none for maths, 4/5 for Computing. Looked through a few past paper answers for Chem AEA. And you call sience hard? well yes, it is hard now. Looking all these integrals for physics makes me want to vomit.
Reply 6
The thing is though...most Arts teachers/professors believe "there cannot be a perfect answer" so going on number of 100% papers is not a fair test, whereas since science is quantitative it is possible to have theoretically perfect answers. But, this does not mean they are easier.
At the highest level they are both as hard...requiring different but equally prized skills.
But, as far as overall results go...it is easier to "learn" sciences, but just as hard to understand.
Reply 7
I know what you mean about those integrals though...i do geology and we have a lot of those in planetary geophysics.
Wierd thing....ur b-days 1 day b4 mine! :cool: apparently intelligence may be astrological after all (although i f*cking hope not)
Reply 8
bikerx23
The thing is though...most Arts teachers/professors believe "there cannot be a perfect answer" so going on number of 100% papers is not a fair test, whereas since science is quantitative it is possible to have theoretically perfect answers. But, this does not mean they are easier.
At the highest level they are both as hard...requiring different but equally prized skills.
But, as far as overall results go...it is easier to "learn" sciences, but just as hard to understand.

Ahhhhh, of course at the highest level, I agree...But this thread is about A Levels, so I stand by what I said!
Reply 9
~Raphael~
Ahhhhh, of course at the highest level, I agree...But this thread is about A Levels, so I stand by what I said!

A'level science is easy. Except biology, which is just simply boring.
I feel for you guys! I sat my A'Levels last year and wasn't expecting much, and hadnt applied to Uni so there was no pressure. I got 3As and a B so applied to Oxford this year and got in with an unconditional. Im doing AS Philosophy on Fri 10th just for the hell of it. I know nothing, I'll probably fail and my college will be really angry at me but there's nothing they can do! In fact its 5 to midnight right now so I really ought to go to bed. But thought I'd poke my little head up just to make myself feel better at the lack of pressure I'm going through! And also, obviously, to express sympathy for you and wish you luck etc. Hehe.

Andrew
Reply 11
I'd sign in with a new account from now on, Andrew, or turn off communication with others - the hate will reach you :biggrin:
Reply 12
Why do you feel sorry for us exactly? I did my a levels two years ago - so i dont think my a levels are really giving any pressure right now either. I believe this is the same state for camford...so do you actually have a point to make?
Maybe me studying the greatest science this world has to offer (geology) at a level gave me a real challenge which you dont get with chem.etc. but who knows...
I'm not going to deny i did rather well in my chem either - top 20 in the country or something...shame i cant remember any of that now though
Reply 13
and is that really the most you could make of your first post aswell! Disgraceful!
Reply 14
dude he was being relevant to the thread - feeling sorry for the people having to revise hard for A Levels to meet offers!
Reply 15
True he did include words from the thread in his spiel...but when they're not lashed together a'la john prescott it would be preferable...
Reply 16
whauden
<Mutual rant session>

For all those revising for A levels at the moment, holding an Oxford offer - (unless its just me feeling melancholy and trying to buck myself up)

Hows revision going? - Mine is good, but after doing it everyday for 20 days I just feel depressed. Ironically doing 4 or 5 hours work a day isnt the problem - its the fact that its so abstract and not focused on a particular essay or project.

Do you feel confident? - Despite repeatedly telling myself I've revised at least double the amount I did last year, have quite a few 'surplus' UMS (and need about 70% UMS) and have deeper understanding particularly in History and English - there is something making me worry SO MUCH more than before.

Do you still want to go to Oxford? - For me, I want it more than ever - revising History has made me realize just how interested I am in it, and has rekindled my desire to study in such a stimulating environment. Sad as it sounds, I'm looking forward to working harder than I have before....

I've got the same problem!

I'm revising and I'm happy with the amount of hours I'm doing and when I think about the exams, I feel like I should be ready for them, but when I start to think about them I feel panicky. Like you, I have some surplus, so it should be fine. There's always doubt in my mind, though. Feeling a bit lost, hehe. But yes, wanting to go to Oxford is a good motivator! I really, really want to get started on a reading list, thinking more about English and getting started!

It'll be over soon :biggrin: :eek:
Reply 17
whauden
<Mutual rant session>
For all those revising for A levels at the moment, holding an Oxford offer..
Hows revision going?

Pretty **** actually:smile: hold an offer for maths.
Got two geog and 1 physics session exams next week, and i can't get myself to revise - A-levels are so boring and tedious! - they are just draining the life out of me - apart from maths, which is kind a fun:smile: I've not started revising at all for geography:eek: - dont need a grade in it, but i should be doing something for it - maybe sunday :rolleyes:
whauden

Do you feel confident?
Not at all - didn't work as hard as i could have throughout the year - and seriously in trouble of not meeting the entry requirements.
whauden

Do you still want to go to Oxford?
Of course - who wouldn't?
whauden

very much so - but starting to relax, because i've noticed a couple of oxford offer people in my and your situation - so it must be normal:smile:

PK
Reply 18
~Raphael~
Traditionally it is easier to get higher marks in the sciences than in the arts...This is backed up by the fact that more people get 100% in science A Levels than arts A Levels.

really? :eek: i'm such an anomaly... :redface:
Reply 19
Elles
really? :eek: i'm such an anomaly... :redface:

<increases the height of Elles' pedestal> :biggrin:

It's only a trend...I'm hoping to get 100s in my history too :eek: :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending