The Student Room Group

Being a TA and have Autism

HI so I've been a TA mostly 1-2-1 supporting those with autism, behavior, learning difficulties in mainstream and currently in a TA placement aside from the fact they're not renewing my contract and advertising for someone else etc... Im struggling t get this out of my head.
I have autism myself and struggle with changes , sensory, communication etc.. Changes in the school routine and communication to Children, teachers about work i can cope with okay but sensory issues i can't.
I had an sensory overload on Friday from the coronation celebrations, i spoke to SEnior leadership d to try and confirm plans for the day more specifically around lunchtime picnic so i knew and I i said I'm rather sensory especially when food is involved that's why and their immediate reaction was "well thats a bit of a problem then isn't it if you're lunchtime supervisir/TA" and now thats going round in my head that maybe I'm not fit enough to be a TA. I can manage all other aspects but seem to have difficulty when it comes to like cookery lessons,lunchtime supervision. Actually this sensory overload on Friday was because of one the music playing on speakers, bunting decorations which alone i was fine with together with lots of children in playground eating lunch so all around me was food..
I just dunno What to do and constantly puts me down. Like there are autistic teachers so why can't i be an autistic ta. In a way it's good because it means i can relate to those children a lot more etc and have often had great comments achievements on working with those children but just struggle sensoriky sometimes especially when food is around. My previous workplace through agency they were aware abs did make accomdations like not being involved in canteen duty and supervised outside instead, when doing cooking covered elsewhere instead while they made the accomdations they did also comment how it impacts on things.
Whereas this workplace it just seems aren't understanding and maybe feel I'm no good at my job in a way i do feel i haven't shown my best abilities and that could be because i was placed in a Year whixh i had no experience in and i made this clear to the person who was head at that time (now left).
Is it i am no good? Can i still be a TA/ Mentor or can i not? is it a fitness to practice? I cleared occupational health with adjustments. Aldo any episodes i do have are not in front if kids I'm able to manage them myself by withdrawing myself in to a quiet space etc...
I’m a TA who is autistic with adhd. sometimes it’s hard, sometimes it’s not so hard. we might find some things more difficult than others, this isn’t your fault. in an ideal world, employers would accommodate all employees as necessary. perhaps have a look whether any disability assured workforces near you are hiring for TAs. I work with an agency which is disability assured and i found i get treated better here. don’t worry, occasional sensory overload doesn’t make you a bad TA. we need more autistic adults supporting autistic children, we have been in their shoes and we understand better what’s going on in their worlds. good luck, don’t give up. i hope this helped somehow
Reply 2
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
I’m a TA who is autistic with adhd. sometimes it’s hard, sometimes it’s not so hard. we might find some things more difficult than others, this isn’t your fault. in an ideal world, employers would accommodate all employees as necessary. perhaps have a look whether any disability assured workforces near you are hiring for TAs. I work with an agency which is disability assured and i found i get treated better here. don’t worry, occasional sensory overload doesn’t make you a bad TA. we need more autistic adults supporting autistic children, we have been in their shoes and we understand better what’s going on in their worlds. good luck, don’t give up. i hope this helped somehow

Thank you so much! This really helped and really boosted ne up. I felt so demoralised. It's happened now and now again and just pulls you down. Like if i genuinely didn't Think i could do it i wouldn't. I volunteer as a counsellor and they accepted me the way I Am so why can't a school. It's horribke when you feel like your autism and the occasional difficulties get used against you. The school aren't aware of the sensory overload i decided not to tell anyone because of the respond i got when i spoke to the SLT about potentially being sensory.

I'm currently employed via City Council. Are you employed through agency?
Reply 3
Also can i ask are your school aware and do they make adjustments? If so what?
I avoid a lot of sensory overload etc by doing a few things: staying hydrated and well rested, wearing clothes that are work appropriate but also don’t overstimulate me (seamless socks, a compressive under shirt etc). i also wear some “invisible” ear plugs, or have some on hand for when i need to excuse myself for a second and have some quiet time. i also keep a silent fidget on my lanyard or in pockets so that i can distract myself from things that are particularly overwhelming. little things also like making sure my hair is out my face, and making sure i’m overall comfortable helps me reduce instances of sensory overload.

during lunchtime, earplugs might help you a little. what is your issue surrounding food? is it the smells or something else?

working as an autistic TA is definitely not the easiest job, so don’t be hard on yourself. i realised that the more i panicked that i wasn’t fit for it, the more likely i got overstimulated and overwhelmed.

I work with an agency, and they provide counselling and other support. they’re aware of my autism, and it’s one of the reasons they employed me, because of my extensive knowledge about autism. again, i recommend you look into either agencies that are disability assured or agencies that provide counselling etc as this can help a lot.

if you need anything else do ask, i’ll do my best to help.
Reply 5
Thank you so much, can i private message you?
sure, go for it :smile:
Reply 7
thanks. I cabcan't figure out though how top PM you?

Thanks for the tips you use. Yeah i try and take breaks, i wear comfy clothes with a scarf as that's comforting and everything else. Try and avoid extra stress by giving rest time before after etc do everything i can in NY control.
But sometimes, by the time i get in the bus can stress me out a little bit but better managing that now.
Things like noise, IE music in speakers can be a trigger. With regards to food or the smell of food, look of food and often the crowd that goes with this. I don't carry out lunchtime duty in canteen i do playground for an hour and that isn't too bad manageable but need a quiet break after though currently only work part time so go home after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending