The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Grace1! I have seen on another thread that someone had model answers, Do you have them? It would be great to see a worked example to base my preparation on. Obviously if anyone has them then post! x
Here we go again, me and my babbling. I spent aaaaaaaaall day in the library today, analysing stuff to within an inch of it's (and my) life, so heres my essay plan. By the way im typing what i wrote so its all in crappy note form, so ignore the grammar:
texts: King Lear, yellow wallpaper, bob monkhouse.
Linking themes: Abnormalities. relationships with family members and its link to the main characters mental state.
lear:
purpose- to entertain- hint of fables, tragedy.
audience- shakespearean crowds
context- set in england on a heath in a raging storm, lear only accompanied by his jester.
form- play script
atts and vals:
how insanity is shown.king babbles, shouts at storm, insane because of his ****ty daughters. repetition shows his confusion.shakes wants us to sympathise, as king was once great, but no longer is.we see how far he has fallen- fool is talking more sense than him! he asks fool "art cold"- 1st time any consideration for others. fool uses double talk- songs to give important messages.name a contrast as he is clever. value- status difference.king higher status, but fool in control, he is needed. considered nothing but a jester, but invaluable.shakess views on status, and how we shouldt assume.equality!
uses storm to symbolise lears mental state- he is in a mad rage himself "rage!blow!" links to yellow paper- using personification of things to symbolise mentalness.
storm also shows lears realisation of insignificance to world- acts as an epiphany for king- a turning point for how he conducts himself in future.has to humble himself greatly
relationship between 3 characers- lears dependency on fool, fool holds status- his prophecy at the end- massive power.despite kings madness, king still defers "sir"
religious- " gods/priests"
kent- used for oral narrative- his use of description reveals scenery to us "hovel"
how topic presented:
lear speaks in verse shows high status. initially, fool in prose "o nuncle" 1st thing we see is status difference, even though lear appears crazy.fool lower status than a crazy person! discourse moves to kings sense of insignificance and realisation, this is when fool begins verse.as kings status is lowered, fools is highered.fool uses rhyme in complex syntax- makes him stik out to audience, shows off superioir language- suddenly take note of his importance.his advice to king, his necessity. odd to shakes audience- fool acting as adviser.
kents position as narrator i play- way he describes-lexis full of description- very rhetorical, creates dramatic effect "wrathful skies", personification. moves story along by pushing ahead story- "here is a hovel"- not a key character in scene in literar terms, but is as a linguistic device.
Language use:
lears longer speaker turns, have short, fractured syntax, often with exclamations.increase of drama, hints at his sanity- shouting wild accusations at storm, sees it as personal.shakes take on insanity is explicit and extreme, as opposed to in yellow paper.
fool, when in rhyme, near iambic pentameter, which creates soothing, rhythmic tone- what king needs. kent uses some interrogs, helps convey a degree of perceived control, trying to command and assess.
fools particular semantic field difficult to interpret, uses riddles.plus prophecy.air of mystery around the fool.fool almost unbothered by storm, contrast.
storm described magnificantly, lots of linguistic techniques.vivid description(find quotes). onomatopoeia "blow crack" negative diction "battle/horrible), metaphor kings use of hyperbole dramatic.punctuated with exclamation to create a shouted, fractured, blah blah.
repetition, alliteration...pragmatics-prophecy is foreboding.use of poetry words put together things unlikely to happen, rarities " when every case in law is right"hmmmm try to think about it. (anyone with ideas about this propechy, post em!)

Yellow Paper
purpose- entertain, short story.
context, 19th centrury women considered mad if deviate from norms, if independent and "disobedient". semi- autobiographical- views are real, creats sense of reality, despiyte it being fiction.
atts and vals:
women insane- her own perspective on insanity.differs from monkhouse, or text 4, insane froim a 1st person perspective, point of view, etc.her confinement leads to her madness- values about how mad ppl were treated back then- just locked away...
shows madness thru delsuion- "more exciting than it used to be".repetitive obsession with fungus and smell, and yellow. "burn down house"- shows irrationality. sleeps in day, wakes at night- deviation form norm.
presented:
positioning of "it creeps all over the house"- own line on page- seaparate- powerful effect.
wallpaper symbolic of her state- link to lear.weather- rain and fog, bad weather- bad brain.
all in one room, 1st person.author wants our empathy, feel her pain. very vivid description of surroundings, thru different senses, we become her. acts in 3 ways- shows her madness, and obsession, but also shows the boredness and tediousness of her siuation, the repetitiveness.also acts as a literary device- vast description.
smell personified, becomes physical.diff dimensions to description.described in revolting ways (quotes), we go mad with her.
language
lots of linguistic capture imagery and feelings. deicitcs( if we can call it that)- "i turned it off"- almost autistic feel- expects us to know what she is talking about. "spent hours"- concept of time all the more sorry for her.personification of smell.negative lang, intonation, stress, prosodic features "smooch/creeps" helps convey way she sees things.can see her dottyness firsthand, as we are in her mind.extensive repetition "round round"- humourous (come on, we all laughed)- odd woman.
explicit lang to coney feeling, no neeed for pragmatics cus of her honesty.irony- she tricks herself into believing she likes it there. she uses phatic speech (yes phatic, not emphatic) to make it sound like cheap conversation- trivial chatter.

Bob Monkhouse

purpose- entertain, inform,
audience- intelligent observer readers.
form, newspaper article- can therefore expect bias from outset- can see she plans to be poisonous.bob craves accpetance blah blah, bob looks old and ugly blah blah, very cynical. uses quotes from others to reinforce views( as journos always do)uncomfortable reading shes a bitch.
obssesive compulsive (his abnormality)- tin/comic collection linked to his family not loving him enuff.linkks with lear and yellow paper- way familiesare cause of mental ****.nature/nurture debate- seems nurture is winning in these texts.
presented
all her views. explicit in critical analysis.contrast in ways mentalness is perceievd, hat angles its looked at in. seen from uninformed aspect.yellow has informal, 1st hand account, but biased- her own view.lear, a dramatised hyperbolic view, written hundreds of years ago- historical difference. all biased thoug in some way, contrast to text 4- scientific and fact based.barbr uses his shittest jokes- unflattery yet again.
lang
listing syntax "older, meeker, smaller, tireder" accumulation enforces her critique
conversational tone, showing own idiolect "but boy, it doesnt come easily/smoothie chops"- creates informality, we relate to her, then are persuaded by her- a common journalistic persuasive technique.
declaratives "this is his tragedy" no room to argue with her.
simile- "like a door salesman", then extends it ."drinks like a fish"
more complex lang- written for clever clogs "refrain/validate"( yes they arent that complex but thats cus we're all super- brains).complex syntax structure, long, requires staying power.
similrites/differences
abnormality
way family affects mindset- nurture influence
perceptions an dimensions of abnormalities, way others see it
diff viewpoints- bias, factual, fault of others.
was goind to type my evaluation, but annot be bothered, hope the rest of u put ur ideas oin here to, i ran out, and i dont think it is enough at all yet- but we have until tuesday........
Reply 62
cottonmouth
Here we go again, me and my babbling. I spent aaaaaaaaall day in the library today, analysing stuff to within an inch of it's (and my) life, so heres my essay plan. By the way im typing what i wrote so its all in crappy note form, so ignore the grammar:
texts: King Lear, yellow wallpaper, bob monkhouse.
Linking themes: Abnormalities. relationships with family members and its link to the main characters mental state.
lear:
purpose- to entertain- hint of fables, tragedy.
audience- shakespearean crowds
context- set in england on a heath in a raging storm, lear only accompanied by his jester.
form- play script
atts and vals:
how insanity is shown.king babbles, shouts at storm, insane because of his ****ty daughters. repetition shows his confusion.shakes wants us to sympathise, as king was once great, but no longer is.we see how far he has fallen- fool is talking more sense than him! he asks fool "art cold"- 1st time any consideration for others. fool uses double talk- songs to give important messages.name a contrast as he is clever. value- status difference.king higher status, but fool in control, he is needed. considered nothing but a jester, but invaluable.shakess views on status, and how we shouldt assume.equality!
uses storm to symbolise lears mental state- he is in a mad rage himself "rage!blow!" links to yellow paper- using personification of things to symbolise mentalness.
storm also shows lears realisation of insignificance to world- acts as an epiphany for king- a turning point for how he conducts himself in future.has to humble himself greatly
relationship between 3 characers- lears dependency on fool, fool holds status- his prophecy at the end- massive power.despite kings madness, king still defers "sir"
religious- " gods/priests"
kent- used for oral narrative- his use of description reveals scenery to us "hovel"
how topic presented:
lear speaks in verse shows high status. initially, fool in prose "o nuncle" 1st thing we see is status difference, even though lear appears crazy.fool lower status than a crazy person! discourse moves to kings sense of insignificance and realisation, this is when fool begins verse.as kings status is lowered, fools is highered.fool uses rhyme in complex syntax- makes him stik out to audience, shows off superioir language- suddenly take note of his importance.his advice to king, his necessity. odd to shakes audience- fool acting as adviser.
kents position as narrator i play- way he describes-lexis full of description- very rhetorical, creates dramatic effect "wrathful skies", personification. moves story along by pushing ahead story- "here is a hovel"- not a key character in scene in literar terms, but is as a linguistic device.
Language use:
lears longer speaker turns, have short, fractured syntax, often with exclamations.increase of drama, hints at his sanity- shouting wild accusations at storm, sees it as personal.shakes take on insanity is explicit and extreme, as opposed to in yellow paper.
fool, when in rhyme, near iambic pentameter, which creates soothing, rhythmic tone- what king needs. kent uses some interrogs, helps convey a degree of perceived control, trying to command and assess.
fools particular semantic field difficult to interpret, uses riddles.plus prophecy.air of mystery around the fool.fool almost unbothered by storm, contrast.
storm described magnificantly, lots of linguistic techniques.vivid description(find quotes). onomatopoeia "blow crack" negative diction "battle/horrible), metaphor kings use of hyperbole dramatic.punctuated with exclamation to create a shouted, fractured, blah blah.
repetition, alliteration...pragmatics-prophecy is foreboding.use of poetry words put together things unlikely to happen, rarities " when every case in law is right"hmmmm try to think about it. (anyone with ideas about this propechy, post em!)

Yellow Paper
purpose- entertain, short story.
context, 19th centrury women considered mad if deviate from norms, if independent and "disobedient". semi- autobiographical- views are real, creats sense of reality, despiyte it being fiction.
atts and vals:
women insane- her own perspective on insanity.differs from monkhouse, or text 4, insane froim a 1st person perspective, point of view, etc.her confinement leads to her madness- values about how mad ppl were treated back then- just locked away...
shows madness thru delsuion- "more exciting than it used to be".repetitive obsession with fungus and smell, and yellow. "burn down house"- shows irrationality. sleeps in day, wakes at night- deviation form norm.
presented:
positioning of "it creeps all over the house"- own line on page- seaparate- powerful effect.
wallpaper symbolic of her state- link to lear.weather- rain and fog, bad weather- bad brain.
all in one room, 1st person.author wants our empathy, feel her pain. very vivid description of surroundings, thru different senses, we become her. acts in 3 ways- shows her madness, and obsession, but also shows the boredness and tediousness of her siuation, the repetitiveness.also acts as a literary device- vast description.
smell personified, becomes physical.diff dimensions to description.described in revolting ways (quotes), we go mad with her.
language
lots of linguistic capture imagery and feelings. deicitcs( if we can call it that)- "i turned it off"- almost autistic feel- expects us to know what she is talking about. "spent hours"- concept of time all the more sorry for her.personification of smell.negative lang, intonation, stress, prosodic features "smooch/creeps" helps convey way she sees things.can see her dottyness firsthand, as we are in her mind.extensive repetition "round round"- humourous (come on, we all laughed)- odd woman.
explicit lang to coney feeling, no neeed for pragmatics cus of her honesty.irony- she tricks herself into believing she likes it there. she uses phatic speech (yes phatic, not emphatic) to make it sound like cheap conversation- trivial chatter.

Bob Monkhouse

purpose- entertain, inform,
audience- intelligent observer readers.
form, newspaper article- can therefore expect bias from outset- can see she plans to be poisonous.bob craves accpetance blah blah, bob looks old and ugly blah blah, very cynical. uses quotes from others to reinforce views( as journos always do)uncomfortable reading shes a bitch.
obssesive compulsive (his abnormality)- tin/comic collection linked to his family not loving him enuff.linkks with lear and yellow paper- way familiesare cause of mental ****.nature/nurture debate- seems nurture is winning in these texts.
presented
all her views. explicit in critical analysis.contrast in ways mentalness is perceievd, hat angles its looked at in. seen from uninformed aspect.yellow has informal, 1st hand account, but biased- her own view.lear, a dramatised hyperbolic view, written hundreds of years ago- historical difference. all biased thoug in some way, contrast to text 4- scientific and fact based.barbr uses his shittest jokes- unflattery yet again.
lang
listing syntax "older, meeker, smaller, tireder" accumulation enforces her critique
conversational tone, showing own idiolect "but boy, it doesnt come easily/smoothie chops"- creates informality, we relate to her, then are persuaded by her- a common journalistic persuasive technique.
declaratives "this is his tragedy" no room to argue with her.
simile- "like a door salesman", then extends it ."drinks like a fish"
more complex lang- written for clever clogs "refrain/validate"( yes they arent that complex but thats cus we're all super- brains).complex syntax structure, long, requires staying power.
similrites/differences
abnormality
way family affects mindset- nurture influence
perceptions an dimensions of abnormalities, way others see it
diff viewpoints- bias, factual, fault of others.
was goind to type my evaluation, but annot be bothered, hope the rest of u put ur ideas oin here to, i ran out, and i dont think it is enough at all yet- but we have until tuesday........

am i allowed to swear?! f**king brilliant, i will read it later. LOL!
grace1
am i allowed to swear?! f**king brilliant, i will read it later. LOL!

oh cheyaz! *blush*
Reply 64
cottonmouth
oh cheyaz! *blush*

I'm taking a different approach to u completly but i havent even looked at lear cos it looks so daunting! and revision guide hasnt helped, so your notes have, even though i dont plan to talk about it in the actual exam.
Reply 65
looks ace cottonmouth, but like i said earlier, i recon the coathanger stucture would work really well - even if only by mention now and again.

Anyway, thnks for the plan, given me some good ideas
Wow i'm so glad i found this forum & topic! :smile:
Can someome please explain the coathanger approach please & how i would apply it? I kinda understand, just a bit confused!

With regards to the second question of the synoptic paper, i have some notes from my teacher from a while ago:

Essentially ou need to show awareness and understanding of the concept of appraches and methods, but that does not mean you state bland, meaningless statements like "I read through the texts" or "I read them repeatedly" and then "highlighted the key words". This approach underlines the fact that texts have explicit meaning in them and if you look closely enough you will find it which is obvious.
Ask questions like:
--Which text(s) was most useful as an organising standpoint? Why?
--Did you organise them according to theme? What was the effect? How did it assist you?
--Other organising prinicples may include:
a particular feature of linguistic analysis, e.g. symbolism, imagery
perspective, e.g. kraken, frankenstein, fungus the bogeyman (if any of you did the monster themed paper that'll make sense)
In my class at college, we all used different approaches such as religion, psychoanalytical, sociological, time-period and purpose.
--How is the audience addressed?
--Attitudes and values - use of linguistic framework to then show how they are represented by language choices
--Generica differences - how do they assist in differentiating meaning?
--Contextual approaches

Ultimately you must explain what was useful and why, but do not repeat what was said in the first question or give analytical detail.

I don't know if that will be any use at all. But i know i'm going to struggle with the second question :confused:
Reply 67
P1nkPrincess
Wow i'm so glad i found this forum & topic! :smile:
Can someome please explain the coathanger approach please & how i would apply it? I kinda understand, just a bit confused!

With regards to the second question of the synoptic paper, i have some notes from my teacher from a while ago:

Essentially ou need to show awareness and understanding of the concept of appraches and methods, but that does not mean you state bland, meaningless statements like "I read through the texts" or "I read them repeatedly" and then "highlighted the key words". This approach underlines the fact that texts have explicit meaning in them and if you look closely enough you will find it which is obvious.
Ask questions like:
--Which text(s) was most useful as an organising standpoint? Why?
--Did you organise them according to theme? What was the effect? How did it assist you?
--Other organising prinicples may include:
a particular feature of linguistic analysis, e.g. symbolism, imagery
perspective, e.g. kraken, frankenstein, fungus the bogeyman (if any of you did the monster themed paper that'll make sense)
In my class at college, we all used different approaches such as religion, psychoanalytical, sociological, time-period and purpose.
--How is the audience addressed?
--Attitudes and values - use of linguistic framework to then show how they are represented by language choices
--Generica differences - how do they assist in differentiating meaning?
--Contextual approaches

Ultimately you must explain what was useful and why, but do not repeat what was said in the first question or give analytical detail.

I don't know if that will be any use at all. But i know i'm going to struggle with the second question :confused:

me too!
As I understand it, the paper total is 90 Marks

The weighting is Q1. - 70 Q2. - 20
That was the weighting in our practise papers, which I'm glad to say I did fairly well on. It's going to be a busy Sunday and Monday though, as I need to really knuckle down.
Reply 69
OK, ok... I'm not the best at explaining the coathanger idea, as ive never used it before. It was something that my teacher kept on going on about after we had done the practice papers, but i never really grasped myself until now.

Basically, the coathanger text is the text u "hang your essay on" (hence the name). Text 4 of this pre-release material is one of these coathangers.

The basic idea is that you can keep refering to this text to provide structure to your essay - the other texts you just slot in where relevant (and obviously make the necessary comparisons as you go).

The fact that text 4 gives definitions of illnesses means that it could be quoted for the intro/conclusion, but also when mentioning what the other texts are going through.

The two examples from my other post were two basic links that i made when reading through... there are loads more for this text and the others, and they lead to easy comparisons between the texts.

I dont think its absolutly necessary to focus on this text if u dont want to, its just my teacher recons they're pretty important, and as he marks some of the unit 6 papers, i recon he knows what he's on about.

hope that helps... like i said, i never fully got the idea until now, its just that its a text that you can use for most comparisons.
Reply 70
Hey...another new member- first post etc etc

this site is amazing, can't believe i didn't find it sooner as have been cooped up in my room figuring this stuff out for days so its nice to see your ideas to know that i haven't been going off on a complete tangent!!! :smile:

the coat hanger idea seems pretty good to me, might have a a practice at working it in later.

don't know if this helps anyone but i read that the first part of the prophecy is stuff is possible because it already happens -this is the real world that he and Lear are experiencing. the end bit of the prophecy is the perfect world where justice and goodness prevail but apparently it could never happen......well that either helps or will confuse you more but i thought it was worth posting (i guess its not meant to make sense - its just another bit of a riddle by the Fool!)

also regarding fool, has anyone else studied the "He that has a house..." line 25?
apparantly it is saying that people who think about sex too much end up poor and with lice (hmmm lovely! :eek: ) and the bit about making a toe a heart suggests overturning the normal order of things. this all makes sense if you read it on its own but i'm not sure what to make of the sex thing in relation to lear. any ideas?

i've got a quick question too. a lot of people keep mentioning Anne in The Yellow Wallpaper is the narrator but i've read that it is jane and thats what i've based my work on. does anyone know whch is right? :confused:

the site
http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/wallpaper/summ6.html
suggests that some people used to belive Jane is a typo for Jennie but that it is now widely accepted that Jane is the narrator. the reason she gets out inspite of her self is that she has contibuted to her imprisonment by allowing her husband (John) control her activities.

let me know what you think, as i don't want to be rambling about the wrong person in my exam!!!

other random stuff i found includes
Bob Monkhouse takes "milk thistle" which is used to protect the liver (destructive behaviour of drinking but he doesn't stop he just compensates). melatonin aids sleep...is he troubled by something deep down? (probably, i mean look at him!!!)
the fact that he sees alcohol as a reward...he is tyring to find love or solace in a non human thing, as though it can give him what people can't. maybe he is replacing his mothers love?!
in psychology when people associate things with rewards it is caled operant conditioning. i know this happens in animlas but i'm sure that humans can also be conditioned to associate things with rewards. monkhouse evidently automatically associates giving a perfomance with the need for alcohol as a reward and i'm sure that isn't the sign of a healthy man!

thanx, bye 4 now!!
Reply 71
Anne is the author but she was originally the person who experienced this insanity when told not to write again, obviously she did because she wrote the book! you just need to say that she is portraying her own thoughts and feelings through Jane
Reply 72
kezzer79
Anne is the author but she was originally the person who experienced this insanity when told not to write again, obviously she did because she wrote the book! you just need to say that she is portraying her own thoughts and feelings through Jane

OMG am even more confused!!! - am i just really dumb?
i'd already done a lot of work on the fact that the author had the same real life experiences (only a bit less severe) hence she wrote the book to portray what she went through and also to get physicians to change their treatment etc etc but isnt the author Charlotte Gilman? I've looked all through what i've got on the text and i can't find anything on Anne.
is it just me?-it is still pretty early on a sunday for me to function properly!
Reply 73
oh yeh sorry, i dont know then.. now im confused lol
Reply 74
kezzer79
oh yeh sorry, i dont know then.. now im confused lol

i know! its all crazy! I vote every one runs away to join the circus...you don't need a level english for that! any1 with me? :biggrin:
Reply 75
Yeh im with you! maybe this Anne has bin popped in for a laugh! someone wants us to fail KEEP WRITING ABOUT ANNE SHES THE BEST lol
Reply 76
kezzer79
Yeh im with you! maybe this Anne has bin popped in for a laugh! someone wants us to fail KEEP WRITING ABOUT ANNE SHES THE BEST lol

dear examiner i have chose to base my essay around the way the theme of abnormality is greatly enhanced by the mystery character anne in text 2..............
Reply 77
lol ok...

http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/wallpaper.html

that site has got the full text and im not sure who annie is, or anne even
Reply 78
JimmyC
lol ok...

http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/wallpaper.html

that site has got the full text and im not sure who annie is, or anne even

thanx jimmy c....yeah i know i read the whole text the other day and so far as i remember anne DOESN'T EXIST!!!
Reply 79
lol i think somebody has got confused because i remember listening to the play on a website called scribbling women and i swear that the woman in the play was called anne in the re-inacted version

Latest

Trending

Trending