The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
and to think, it's a whole week since one of these threads was about... :p:
Only homosexuals themselves will know the answer to this.
Reply 3
thebucketwoman

in the same way that heterosexuals know where their liking for the same sex came from? :confused:
Reply 4
The thread was called 'Causes of Homosexuality' (I think) and was a poll. I think that it concluded in accepting that it a combination of nature and nurture is in effect, like almost every single other human trait (excluding only some diseases, eye colour, gender etc.).

In the same way that only males know what has caused them to be male over female?
Reply 5
I would like to think nature.

However, while I am loathe to admit it, a lot of gay male friends I have, and myself, have had 'issues' with their father, be it a crap relationship or an absence of him completely. I'm sure there are lots of gay men who have great relationships with their father but it could, when coupled with a genetic disposition, be a contributing factor
Reply 6
thebucketwoman

yes, we gay man are just that self-aware :rolleyes:
Reply 7
I would like to think nature.

Nature by itself can be completely ruled out by identical twins, one gay one straight.
Reply 8
Speleo
Nature by itself can be completely ruled out by identical twins, one gay one straight.

But identical twins are never 100% genetically identical. Plus it is still possible that there could be hormonal imbalances in one and not the other.

But like I said, I'm aware there are possible contributing factors. I think it's a mixture based upon a natural predisposition and 'nurture' effects like father figures etc
Reply 9
I think the media has a lot to do with it.

Young boys with TV's in their rooms can be watching stuff like Eurotrash, and either find the women attract, the men attractive - or both.

If they're not aware of both, then they would just go for what is normal.

I don't think it is nature, because I don't think being gay is natural, or else women could get women pregnent, and men could get men pregnant. In my opinion, the world was made for men to be with women, and thats it.

Also, 'role models' on television, such as maybe Graham Norton (shudders) could have an influence on young boys/men. Graham Norton is a funny guy, people like him, he's GAY. That must be the answer for them....

Motherless Child
Reply 10
Motherless Child
I think the media has a lot to do with it.

Young boys with TV's in their rooms can be watching stuff like Eurotrash, and either find the women attract, the men attractive - or both.

If they're not aware of both, then they would just go for what is normal.

I don't think it is nature, because I don't think being gay is natural, or else women could get women pregnent, and men could get men pregnant. In my opinion, the world was made for men to be with women, and thats it.

Also, 'role models' on television, such as maybe Graham Norton (shudders) could have an influence on young boys/men. Graham Norton is a funny guy, people like him, he's GAY. That must be the answer for them....

Motherless Child

rubbish
Reply 11
the thought that Graham Norton might be the most visible gay man on TV make me wish I was straight

I don't think your argument is credible but I'd have probably chosen Ian McKellen if I was looking for a sound role model
Reply 12
Motherless Child

couldn't agree more: they FIND the men or women attractive, don't choose whether they find them attractive...

Motherless Child

that being due to the perfect planning of nature, such that every woman and man is fertile and can reproduce?

Motherless Child

yes... all kids must think: ah, that graham norton is funny... i'll be gay so i can be funny... :rolleyes: why have i never noticed that link before?
And also, what about those gays that were about before TV... Errrr? :rolleyes:
Hey Pete! :wavey: :smile:
Reply 14
The most likely reason I believe is a mixture of nature and life. It's obviously not going to be genetic because us lovely gays would of died out by now, so it's gonna have to be hormones in the womb. Though same as everything, we aren't all decided by biology, what with free will and all. Oh finally I beg please do not let this thread descend into we're all going to hell for our sins, si vous plait :smile:
Reply 15
bilb
The most likely reason I believe is a mixture of nature and life. It's obviously not going to be genetic because us lovely gays would of died out by now, so it's gonna have to be hormones in the womb. Though same as everything, we aren't all decided by biology, what with free will and all. Oh finally I beg please do not let this thread descend into we're all going to hell for our sins, si vous plait :smile:

With sexuality we only have free will to a certain extent. I could simply not act on my attraction to men but what's the point in denying myself happiness and forcing myself to form a relationship with someone I'm not attracted to and have no interest in sexually? Unless I actually want to become a married man with kids who goes cruising hampstead heath after work or meets men in public lavatories.
Reply 16
I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever so suggest that genetics or hormones have anything to do with the causes of homosexuality.

More likely in my opinion, is that it is usually as a result of a bad father-son relationship (in gay males of course) This may have happened in the first place, because the child had some stereotypically 'unmale' traits which the father could not relate to. This doesn't mean to say that genetics actually cause homosexuality.
Is it socially constructed or herditary? discuss.
Reply 18
We are biologically designed to be heterosexual. No other animals in the world show homosexuality as a lifestyle. It is instinct unless something has gone wrong earlier on.

Latest

Trending

Trending