The Student Room Group

To late to become a Vet?

'Lo guys.

So here's the thing, alot of us go through the phase when were little of wanting to be certain things, fireman, policeman, dancer - when I was younger I wanted to be a Vet, and even through I was dissuaded from it "you won't be able to handle it emotionally" "your too squemish" getting a C in science and consequently not being able to do A-Level Biology, its always stayed in the back of my mind

Now more than ever I'm thinking of it, and I know it seems selfish to ask this when theres people who are 30+ and 40+ plus asking the same thing, but at 20 years old have I missed the opportunity to do this?

Qualification wise, I got decent GCSE's B's and C's but importantly, a C in science (which was also appliedscience meaning "lets not actually teach you anything useful science" ) then at A-level. since I couldn't do Bio/Chem I did Psychology/Sociology/Communication studies. in which I got a pretty dire D/B/C, and now I'm in the second week of my first year of Uni doing a Language teaching course.

So, at 20 years old, is it stupid of me to ask if its to late to switch lanes and become a Vet?xx

Scroll to see replies

No, i've just changed my mind from History to Medicine :smile: Just make sure you research it properly and you'll be fine
Reply 2
dude you only live once and if thats what you would love to do then you better start preparing yourself for some hardcore bio and chem, get work experience, talk to unis as to whether they'll take you etc. So to answer your question, no its not too late, the real question as to how far u'll succeed is how badly do you want this?

p.s I went through the stage of wanting to be a vet too and have decided to wait a few years and try for a natural sciences degree first, then apply post graduate.
Reply 3
Virgil
have decided to wait a few years and try for a natural sciences degree first, then apply post graduate.

You're aware of the immense competition and crazy-ass fees, right?
Reply 4
For natsci?
Virgil
For natsci?

for graduate entry into vet medicine, its £20,000 per YEAR at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge, Bristol and Liverpool. RVC and Notts are £3000 but its crazy crazy competition and you still need to have nearly straight As at A level as well as tonnes of work experience
cape_carnival
'Lo guys.

So here's the thing, alot of us go through the phase when were little of wanting to be certain things, fireman, policeman, dancer - when I was younger I wanted to be a Vet, and even through I was dissuaded from it "you won't be able to handle it emotionally" "your too squemish" getting a C in science and consequently not being able to do A-Level Biology, its always stayed in the back of my mind

Now more than ever I'm thinking of it, and I know it seems selfish to ask this when theres people who are 30+ and 40+ plus asking the same thing, but at 20 years old have I missed the opportunity to do this?

Qualification wise, I got decent GCSE's B's and C's but importantly, a C in science (which was also appliedscience meaning "lets not actually teach you anything useful science" ) then at A-level. since I couldn't do Bio/Chem I did Psychology/Sociology/Communication studies. in which I got a pretty dire D/B/C, and now I'm in the second week of my first year of Uni doing a Language teaching course.

So, at 20 years old, is it stupid of me to ask if its to late to switch lanes and become a Vet?xx

No its never too late. I just started vet as a second degree and i'm 21 and the youngest person in my class. My class goes from 21-30 so as you can see there are people a lot older then you starting vet. You'd have to do your A levels again though, and get around about AAB in bio, chem and something else, possibly physics or maths. Then get loads of work experience, i would say aim for liverpools minimum, and it has to be well rounded, small animal, large animal, dairy, lambing, kennels, cattery, equine, possible zoo type things. I reackon if you got cracking now you could be ready to start in 2/3 years. So its a big decision, but if vet is really what you do, then the person who posted above was right, you do only like once. Oh and if you really do wanna do vet i would drop the languages right now, otherwise you will have to pay graduate fees, Good luck
Reply 7
I think it is over - in terms of switching lanes to vet through the traditional means (graduating in a degree in Vet Sci). This is mostly due to your grades and A level choices - I don't know how feasible it is to spend another 2 years going back to college to do them - as you may not have the ability to do well at them and also even if you do well at them their is no guarantee you will get in. The competition is too strong, for you to have a realistic chance in my opinion. If you really do want to go become a Vet - you should look at alternative ways of getting into a career.
ma2k5
I think it is over - in terms of switching lanes to vet through the traditional means (graduating in a degree in Vet Sci). This is mostly due to your grades and A level choices - I don't know how feasible it is to spend another 2 years going back to college to do them - as you may not have the ability to do well at them and also even if you do well at them their is no guarantee you will get in. The competition is too strong, for you to have a realistic chance in my opinion. If you really do want to go become a Vet - you should look at alternative ways of getting into a career.

there arent any other alternative ways of becoming a vet!
Reply 9
tigercallie
there arent any other alternative ways of becoming a vet!

Their must be, some way!!!
ma2k5
Their must be, some way!!!

Nope, you have to complete the General Veterinary Medicine degree at university, thats the only only way!
Reply 11
There are the prelim courses though - at Nottingham and somewhere else, although I can't remember what the other option is... someone like to fill me in?? Or you could study abroad. Or, what about vet nursing if vet med doesn't work out? And if your heart is really in it then (after getting more work experience to make 100% sure) then go for it... you won't know unless you try. Speak to the vet schools and see what advice they give you. Good luck!
Reply 12
ma2k5

Would have been a great piece of advice had these actually existed :tongue:
Reply 13
If anyone does stumble across an easy way of becoming a Vet that the rest of us have all just stupidly overlooked, do let me know! :p:
Reply 14
PowerLewis
If anyone does stumble across an easy way of becoming a Vet that the rest of us have all just stupidly overlooked, do let me know! :p:

I think you can collect tokens from the back of cereal packets or something?

Anyways, to OP, if you're absolutely sure that Vet Med is the way you want to go then look NOW at re-taking A-levels before you think about going the Grad route. The fees are insanse that way and if you can knuckle down and get the grades at A-level then your battle is half over.

However, contact all the vet schools and ask what they would want from you too. If you're about to make this change, get the correct info right from them not second hand. :smile:

As for too late, never too late. Although I did just discover my first grey hair after only 2 weeks at Uni :eek:
Reply 15
pyrogena
I think you can collect tokens from the back of cereal packets or something?

Personally, I love this response :smile:
PowerLewis
Personally, I love this response :smile:

Ah, but since this is vet science, they have to be silver plated, limited edition tokens, only available on very particular cereal packets, which aren't available in europe. And you need several thousand. Why make it easy?!?
Reply 17
kookabura
Ah, but since this is vet science, they have to be silver plated, limited edition tokens, only available on very particular cereal packets, which aren't available in europe. And you need several thousand. Why make it easy?!?

*sigh* Back to UCAS then :frown:

But OP, back to what Pyro said; this is good advice, talk to them and explain your own situation, your subjects and grades, and what they want from you. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 18
kookabura

Ah no, you see, you must seek out the special edition gold token. This guarantees automatic entry.

Seriously though, good luck to everyone applying for 2010 (and beyond!) - it's absolutely worth it. :biggrin: (ask me this again at exam time and I might retract that last statement.)
damn...and there I was trying to collect the silver ones!

think PL is right...its back to the ucas...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending