The Student Room Group

The lowest grades someone got into uni with..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My Dad's requirement for getting into Oxford was to get at least 2 E grades at A-Level.
Reply 41
iwilson03
How did she even get as far as interviews? Because up until interviews there is no real way to proove yourself to Oxford.

An oxford representative visited her college, found her, loved her, and reported back to his/her oxford minions that they had to interview her.
Reply 42
The Procrastinator
It's so rare that people think that these days :rolleyes: but I agree! and also hope it would work for me haha!

You're right, it puts a lot of people off applying to certain unis, and it shouldn't. I'm half depending on it :p:
Tacita
An oxford representative visited her college, found her, loved her, and reported back to his/her oxford minions that they had to interview her.

Fair enough I suppose, just seems highly unlikely. If true though she has done amazingly well so :top:
Reply 44
if you're applying for an art course, they usually ask you to complete an art foundation course first but the entry requirements for the one I did was one E at A level. Sometimes they will just accept you on the standard of your portfolio though.
I got on to English and Business with DDE at A-Level
Reply 46
I don't know if this sounds a bit too snobby, but you have to wonder why someone who is clearly very weak academically would choose to spend another three or four years of their life doing an academic course at a university. In the real world, academia isn't everything so if it's not your strong point, why bother?
Reply 47
[QUOTE="dances_with_lamposts"]I got onto a biomedical science course in 2003 with DDe (biology, chemistry and physics (AS)). its a long time ago though.[/QUOTEReally what uni did you go to ?
Reply 48
iwilson03
Fair enough I suppose, just seems highly unlikely. If true though she has done amazingly well so :top:

Is completely true, universities love non-typical profile students, especially oxbridge. If you can prove you're of a high level of intelligence (or make them believe you are) through conversation, you're 90% there. You don't need grades to prove that. Throw in something that makes you unusual and they're begging to have you. :smile:
if you are a mature student you can get on many courses without any qualifiction as long as you show maturity and willingness to learn.
JW92
I don't know if this sounds a bit too snobby, but you have to wonder why someone who is clearly very weak academically would choose to spend another three or four years of their life doing an academic course at a university. In the real world, academia isn't everything so if it's not your strong point, why bother?

So true, but you got to understand that not everyone had a smooth upbringing and hassle-free education some might be more determined then they were before and if they feel they can do it why not give them a chance:smile: note: mature student=hard working
Brother - BBBD for computer science at bristol. He got a B in GCSE maths, no A lev maths.
Reply 52
There's hope for me yet!
Reply 53
Wow! Unusual and amazing stories here!!
Reply 54
Lowest ive seen is AAAb
Reply 55
Remarqable M
So true, but you got to understand that not everyone had a smooth upbringing and hassle-free education some might be more determined then they were before and if they feel they can do it why not give them a chance:smile: note: mature student=hard working

Yeah, good point, I didn't think of it like that.
Reply 56
JW92

Often that is the case but you must some people can really change their attitude when they get to University. Some do more practical subjects rather than academic ones, like fine art, illustration and media production.
In 2005 my friend went to Chichester for Music with EE.
CCEb :proud:
Reply 59
Joseph90
Often that is the case but you must some people can really change their attitude when they get to University. Some do more practical subjects rather than academic ones, like fine art, illustration and media production.

I see what you're saying. I definitely have nothing against people who are weak academically doing vocational courses and I suppose if someone has academic potential but for whatever reason they didn't succeed academically at A level it's not a waste of time doing a degree. I guess it's just those people who've had a good opportunity to get decent A levels and had put reasonable effort into getting decent grades but failed to make the cut anyway. There seems to be an ethos that to be successful at the age of eighteen you should be going to university and this is something that everyone should strive to do, but I don't think this is the best option for many people with D or E grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending