The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
alex p
lol. hes a great bloke. and surprisingly xenophobic for a dutchman living in england :yep:

he is a brilliant man, though he gave us all jip for student flu, and today he doesnt come in because he has the flu.

I remember when he was talking to us about polar wandering, he said something along the lines of "the poles wander quite a lot, and come over here and steal jobs".

His german jokes are always good too.
Reply 21
bourney
he is a brilliant man, though he gave us all jip for student flu, and today he doesnt come in because he has the flu.

I remember when he was talking to us about polar wandering, he said something along the lines of "the poles wander quite a lot, and come over here and steal jobs".

His german jokes are always good too.

his borat impression is very concerning though
The mantle is 95% solid and 5% liquid, supposedly a similar consistancy to very thick treacle
phen
What does that have to do with anything?

i didnt know if it could've been :rolleyes:
Reply 24
alex p
shes talking about the mantle, you are talking about the outer core - that is liquid.

The mantle is a ductile solid, sometimes described as a liquid mush of crystals.

So a ductile solid is the definition

The upper mantle as part of the lithosphere is solid and virtually non ductile, hense lithosphere including the upper mantle (lithos meaning rock)

the lower mantle becomes more ductile due to mineral assemblages changing, and p/t changes but is definitely not liquid. as stated before s waves would not pass through it if it were

and whoever said plate motion is driven by convection currents, and heat production is due to radioactive elements should be shot

Why should they be 'shot'? :rolleyes: That's actually a perfectly reasonable thing to say because most heat production from the earth IS due to radioactive decay! And despite not knowing what the main driving force behind plate motion is, convection currents are said to be a possibility...
Reply 25
trm90
Why should they be 'shot'? :rolleyes: That's actually a perfectly reasonable thing to say because most heat production from the earth IS due to radioactive decay! And despite not knowing what the main driving force behind plate motion is, convection currents are said to be a possibility...

Gravitational energy of accretion Joules
Present density structure 24900 x 10p/o28
Uniform Earth 23300 x 10p/o28
Core separation 1610 x 10p/o28
Inner core formation 8.3 x 10p/o28
Separation of crust 7.6 x 10p/o28
Radiogenic heat 800 x 10p/o28
Residual (stored) heat 1800 x 10p/o28
Tidal dissipation 200 to 300 x 10p/o28
Present rotational energy 21 x 10p/o28

p/o = to the power of (dunno how to get superscript up atm

so radioactive decay produces 1.54% of the current heat output of the earths interior, and most heat is maintained by original accretion and current gravitational effects

and no scientist who has much credibility will defend convection currents now, for a couple of basic reasons
1 if you draw a map of what convection flows would have to be like in order to make current plate motion it just doesnt work. if it did work the south american plate would split in two and thered be a subduction zone down the coast of brazil
2 in order for convection currents to work the mantle must be liquid enough for the flow of heat, but viscous enough to cause friction on the plates and make them move. it isnt.
Reply 26
alex p
Gravitational energy of accretion Joules
Present density structure 24900 x 10p/o28
Uniform Earth 23300 x 10p/o28
Core separation 1610 x 10p/o28
Inner core formation 8.3 x 10p/o28
Separation of crust 7.6 x 10p/o28
Radiogenic heat 800 x 10p/o28
Residual (stored) heat 1800 x 10p/o28
Tidal dissipation 200 to 300 x 10p/o28
Present rotational energy 21 x 10p/o28

p/o = to the power of (dunno how to get superscript up atm

so radioactive decay produces 1.54% of the current heat output of the earths interior, and most heat is maintained by original accretion and current gravitational effects

and no scientist who has much credibility will defend convection currents now, for a couple of basic reasons
1 if you draw a map of what convection flows would have to be like in order to make current plate motion it just doesnt work. if it did work the south american plate would split in two and thered be a subduction zone down the coast of brazil
2 in order for convection currents to work the mantle must be liquid enough for the flow of heat, but viscous enough to cause friction on the plates and make them move. it isnt.

I will admit that I was wrong in thinking radioactive decay dominates heat output, but you are still being very unfair in saying that is completely and utterly ridiculous for anyone to think that radioactive decay is a major source of earth's heat. Geologists at both A-level and early undergraduate level are taught that radioactivity is one of the dominant sources of heat in the Earth, and I highly doubt my lecturers would have emphasised its importance if they really didn't think it wasn't important.

Second, most theories for driving forces behind plate motion are understood extremely poorly. ANY textbook will cover the possible theories for driving forces behind plate motion, and each and every textbook you read - including newly updated ones - will mention the possibility of convection currents playing a role, and I think it's personally reasonable for someone to mention them.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong or anything btw :o: I'm just trying to tell you that it's a little unfair to tell people they 'should be shot' for mentioning any of the above two when they are commonly listed in textbooks. You have obviously read more recent research from journals etc, but evidently if the research hasn't translated into textbooks it hasn't been stuff that is widely accepted by the geological community.
Reply 27
trm90
I will admit that I was wrong in thinking radioactive decay dominates heat output, but you are still being very unfair in saying that is completely and utterly ridiculous for anyone to think that radioactive decay is a major source of earth's heat. Geologists at both A-level and early undergraduate level are taught that radioactivity is one of the dominant sources of heat in the Earth, and I highly doubt my lecturers would have emphasised its importance if they really didn't think it wasn't important.

Second, most theories for driving forces behind plate motion are understood extremely poorly. ANY textbook will cover the possible theories for driving forces behind plate motion, and each and every textbook you read - including newly updated ones - will mention the possibility of convection currents playing a role, and I think it's personally reasonable for someone to mention them.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong or anything btw :o: I'm just trying to tell you that it's a little unfair to tell people they 'should be shot' for mentioning any of the above two when they are commonly listed in textbooks. You have obviously read more recent research from journals etc, but evidently if the research hasn't translated into textbooks it hasn't been stuff that is widely accepted by the geological community.

but surely the point of science is to keep as up to date with the most current and plausible ideas as possible

i wouldnt say plate motion is poorly understood. The original cause of motion in the hadean/archean is not very well known, but virtually any decent geology journal (and even wikipedia) accepts slab pull and ridge push as the dominating features

its depressing that at a level you get *********** to make things simple
Reply 28
so is lava a solid then?
Reply 29
Zoombini
so is lava a solid then?

lava is a liquid. Its like a gas cylinder. Inside under alot of pressure is a liquid, remove the pressure and its gas, its the same with the mantle and lava - remove the pressure off the mantle and it become liquid
alex p
shes talking about the mantle, you are talking about the outer core - that is liquid.

The mantle is a ductile solid, sometimes described as a liquid mush of crystals.

So a ductile solid is the definition

The upper mantle as part of the lithosphere is solid and virtually non ductile, hense lithosphere including the upper mantle (lithos meaning rock)

the lower mantle becomes more ductile due to mineral assemblages changing, and p/t changes but is definitely not liquid. as stated before s waves would not pass through it if it were

and whoever said plate motion is driven by convection currents, and heat production is due to radioactive elements should be shot

There's no need for that. I'm just repeating exactly what i was taught.
Reply 31
CORUPTbunny
There's no need for that. I'm just repeating exactly what i was taught.

the government told me the war in iraq was necessary......

seriously though, it still pays to do further reading regardless ow how well you think your doing - so either youve been very cocky and not done any further reading, or you have and didnt do very well, as few sources will cite either of the statements you made
The anal warrior will turn your mantle to liquid.

Latest

Trending

Trending