The Student Room Group

Why are people so enchanted by Dubai?

It's a beautiful city in the middle of the desert but it's also a slave labor camp for hundred of thousands of poor Indian, Bengali, Filipino, and Sri Lankan workers. 80% of Dubai is foreign! Workers get their passports taken away for fear of deserting. They live in crappy camps with little to no sanitary conditions. They get paid less than 10 dollars a day! Then there are the countless underpaid workers in the service industry taking care of rich slobs.

Why is this city so promoted as a great city? There are approximately one million citizens and a quarter of the population are the migrant construction workers, another hundred thousand are in the service area; maids, nannies, taxi drivers, cooks, servants. That means nearly half the population lives to serve the other half.

The government keeps saying they'll allow union but this hasn't happened yet. All they said was they were going to form a single state authorized and supervised union! The UAE government will oversee all strikes and control them!

I swear, this has to be one major scheme. All of these human rights abuses to fulfill the visions of that megalomaniac Sheik Mo. Yet, Dubai keeps getting good press, and several young people love the glitzy glamor of it all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been to Dubai and I hate it, it's too crowded.

The reason most people like it is because of cheap shopping.
Reply 2
I am not enchanted by Dubai. It is incredibly artificial. Furthermore, its human rights record is dreadful.
Reply 3
TimeDivided09
It's a beautiful city in the middle of the desert but it's also a slave labor camp for hundred of thousands of poor Indian, Bengali, Filipino, and Sri Lankan workers. 80% of Dubai is foreign! Workers get their passports taken away for fear of deserting. They live in crappy camps with little to no sanitary conditions. They get paid less than 10 dollars a day! Then there are the countless underpaid workers in the service industry taking care of rich slobs.

Why is this city so promoted as a great city? There are approximately one million citizens and a quarter of the population are the migrant construction workers, another hundred thousand are in the service area; maids, nannies, taxi drivers, cooks, servants. That means nearly half the population lives to serve the other half.

The government keeps saying they'll allow union but this hasn't happened yet. All they said was they were going to form a single state authorized and supervised union! The UAE government will oversee all strikes and control them!

I swear, this has to be one major scheme. All of these human rights abuses to fulfill the visions of that megalomaniac Sheik Mo. Yet, Dubai keeps getting good press, and several young people love the glitzy glamor of it all.

Well you've hit the nail on the head with the bit in bold, haven't you? It's an exotic place with good services. Also, a lot of middle eastern countries treat S. Asians badly. My mum's from Qatar and the things I saw were just horrific, so it's not just Dubai.
Reply 4
Dubai makes me sick. I read a great article by Johann Hari about it. It's an absolute disgrace and I can't believe anyone could want to go there.
Reply 5
Plenty of places have awful human rights records yet still are realy liked by people. You only have to go to dubai/abu dhabi, they are attractive cities,the poverty is well hidden. If you're poor in dubai and UAE life sucks, if your average/rich, welcome to the good life, seriously. Which is why people love it.
Other then that, it's ****.
Reply 6
Idiots are impressed by the arab bumheads driving around in Ferrari's on youtube and think "this is my sort of place" lol.
Reply 7
The education system is segregated, Indians, philipines... kids are not allowed to go to the same school as the "true" arab kids.
Reply 8
XCLNC
The education system is segregated, Indians, philipines... kids are not allowed to go to the same school as the "true" arab kids.

I hate that the most. Really gets under my skin! :mad:
Reply 9
TimeDivided09

The bit in bold is why most people love Dubai, why do housework yourself when you can get a maid to do it a measly price, and you can live a life of luxury??

I went to dubai in the summer for 2 weeks, and a family member of mine lives there. It is the most superficial place I have ever been, and your totally right: the workers/foreigners are treated awfully. I actually saw a little child beating up his maid, and I felt like kicking the crap outta that kid, the ignorant litttle piece of ****. And another woman was shopping, with her nanny pushing a pram behind! Annoyed the hell outta me!!!! :mad: :mad: But my brother has a maid who they treat very well - she sits at the table with them and eats and stuff, and is like a member of the family, so you get the good 'uns that live there too:yep: (Thats prob cos he isn't from Dubai though) :yep:

I didn't see ONE arab working, I was just thinking WTF! :confused: :mad:

The truth is those freaking sheiks have wayyy too much money to spend, but also the people who come from other countries were earning less in their countries than they are in Dubai. It's awful that they are treated so badly, but they need the money to feed themselves and probbably their families back home. It's a nasty cycle, they are treated badly but on the other hand if they are to go back to their home countries they probbably won't have any money at all.

For me though it was a pretty bizzare experience, I was called ma'am (which I have never been called in my whole life - I'm 18 for God's sake!) by everyone to the point where I started calling the workers it back until they stopped calling me it. :yep: I just wish the people of Dubai can start being nice/civil to their workers instead of treating them like dirt. But I doubt that'll happen, too much money does that to you, you think you're above everyone else.
Reply 10
People make out Dubai to be worse than it is. As an expat, moreover an expat from the Indian Subcontinent, born, raised and educated in Dubai, take my word that the plethora of articles that trash Dubai are an overstatement. Of course, I am not denying the existence of those spoiled Arabs that are set for life because the government provides them with everything, but people forget to acknowledge that this is not a description fitting the entire group of Arab nationals here. In fact, there are many Arabs that do not drive luxury cars and do not live in palaces, that do not vacation in Europe every month.
The percentage of Nationals that live in Dubai is miniscule compared to the Expat population, meaning that the maids, nannies, drivers, etc that everyone seems to shocked to hear about are actually serving the Expat community the most. That is not an excuse or denial of the high level of inequality and discrimination that is present here. But, most countries experience a period of inequality in their early history (United States as one example) that share many of the characteristics that people criticize the U.A.E. for today.
A lot of people have also commented on Sheikh Muhammad. Truth be told, it is rare to hear anyone have any genuine complaints about his leadership, even among the expat communities. They love him not because we are bombarded with propaganda 24/7 or that people fear repercussions for speaking out, but because his efforts have taken this country a long way from its foundation and it has benefited everyone that lives here.

In conclusion, you will find bigoted narcissistic people in Dubai, as well as every other corner of the world. You will find inequality and discrimination in Dubai, just like everywhere else too. But remember that Dubai is still in its early history (just over 35 years since its conception) and that the development of social concepts and statutes is an evolutionary process that will take time. We are not ignoring the prevalent problems of the country, but we are appreciating the securities, opportunities, and benefits that we were lacking in our home countries.

Don't fall for stereotypes!
To be fair, I didn't know about that and I imagine a lot of other people don't to. Imagine the tour guide, take a tour of the schools where segregation is prevalent reminding of 60's USA and 70's South Africa.
Dubai is basically what any Western country would be like were we still developing today - an ultracapitalist facade combined with widespread relative poverty and appalling worker's rights. We just don't recognise it because we finished that stage in our history quite some time ago, barely in living memory for many people today.

Dubai will change with time. It's a natural evolution of industrialised societies.

Regardless, I still think that the Burj Dubai is awesome.
yemisdate
Dubai makes me sick. I read a great article by Johann Hari about it. It's an absolute disgrace and I can't believe anyone could want to go there.

Was it a really long one and about a women who was living in a car park after her husband died or something and couldn't pay back debt??

if it was it was a great article. I always laugh when people complain about the UK when in reality it's one of the top 5 countries on the planet and most countries are absolutely vile.
Aphotic Cosmos
Dubai is basically what any Western country would be like were we still developing today - an ultracapitalist facade combined with widespread relative poverty and appalling worker's rights. We just don't recognise it because we finished that stage in our history quite some time ago, barely in living memory for many people today.

Dubai will change with time. It's a natural evolution of industrialised societies.

Regardless, I still think that the Burj Dubai is awesome.

The west is still developing!

I actually can't wait for someone to sort out fussion and watch the rich middle east crumble, yeah they've probably invested well but it will all slow down, will be hilarious.
Hugh-Jackman
The west is still developing!

I actually can't wait for someone to sort out fussion and watch the rich middle east crumble, yeah they've probably invested well but it will all slow down, will be hilarious.

I know, but it's all relative :wink:

Technically I should've said that we're in an MEDC [more economically developed country] and that the UAE is an LEDC [less] in transition to being an MEDC.
myi123
People make out Dubai to be worse than it is. As an expat, moreover an expat from the Indian Subcontinent, born, raised and educated in Dubai, take my word that the plethora of articles that trash Dubai are an overstatement. Of course, I am not denying the existence of those spoiled Arabs that are set for life because the government provides them with everything, but people forget to acknowledge that this is not a description fitting the entire group of Arab nationals here. In fact, there are many Arabs that do not drive luxury cars and do not live in palaces, that do not vacation in Europe every month.
The percentage of Nationals that live in Dubai is miniscule compared to the Expat population, meaning that the maids, nannies, drivers, etc that everyone seems to shocked to hear about are actually serving the Expat community the most. That is not an excuse or denial of the high level of inequality and discrimination that is present here. But, most countries experience a period of inequality in their early history (United States as one example) that share many of the characteristics that people criticize the U.A.E. for today. A lot of people have also commented on Sheikh Muhammad. Truth be told, it is rare to hear anyone have any genuine complaints about his leadership, even among the expat communities. They love him not because we are bombarded with propaganda 24/7 or that people fear repercussions for speaking out, but because his efforts have taken this country a long way from its foundation and it has benefited everyone that lives here.

In conclusion, you will find bigoted narcissistic people in Dubai, as well as every other corner of the world. You will find inequality and discrimination in Dubai, just like everywhere else too. But remember that Dubai is still in its early history (just over 35 years since its conception) and that the development of social concepts and statutes is an evolutionary process that will take time. We are not ignoring the prevalent problems of the country, but we are appreciating the securities, opportunities, and benefits that we were lacking in our home countries.

Don't fall for stereotypes!

What an utterly rotten apology for an otherwise despotic place! So you don't deny the existence of the massive inequality in the region or that the workers are mistreated but excuse all this as somehow the necessary development of a city? You sound like the nostalgic Russians that praise Stalin for moving a once agrarian and feudal Russia into the realm of super power status in such a short period of time after WWII. It's ridiculous.

The reason for all of the inequality and repression of workers is because it serves the interests of the ruling class. Their maniacal wish for the rapid development and transformation of Dubai is the reason for the repression. The expatriots that live there likewise serve as the middle managers of Dubai while the hundreds of thousands of workers subsist to serve both.

I don't think the opposition to Dubai is overstating the problem, but the proponents are [B]understating[/I] the problem.
Reply 17
People like Dubai because it seems new and exciting, as a holiday destination that has emerged in recent years their's always an ambitious building project under way. To put it in perspective, in 1964 their were just 4 hotels and now their hundreds or possibly thousands. It's basically a collection of shiny skyscrapers and fancy hotels and if the place wasn't in perpetual sunshine the attraction would soon disappear. Their is no real sense of history or exotic culture available in Dubai. The nearest you'll get is a spot of camel racing, so to me it's nothing more than an all-consuming capitalist behemoth and the vastness and all the faux-grandeur leaves it ultimately soulless.

And as other posters have mentioned, the less said about its human rights record the better.
Reply 18
Have you seen the slums outside Mumbai, India? That is the type of conditions that the exploited workers come from. There are a thousand places throughout Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh and Pakistan where conditions are a thousand times worse than those at the labor camps in Dubai. The salaries are a tenth of what they get paid here.
Steps have been taken to improve conditions, and progress continues to be made.
And I do believe that much of the inequalities can be excused as the necessary development of the country. The West has developed an unfair tendency to compare themselves as they are today to we are today. They seem to forget that all the issues that they condemn us for, they too went through them as they developed as a country.
And I do believe that much of the inequalities can be excused as the necessary development of the country. The West has developed an unfair tendency to compare themselves as they are today to we are today. They seem to forget that all the issues that they condemn us for, they too went through them as they developed as a country.

Wrong. Dubai could develop just as well yet twice as long if it were to allow it's workers to unionize and be given just compensation. The reason for the massive inequality and worker repression is because of the rapid pace the Sheiks want their vision constructed. There is no time for pesky unions, just compensation, workers sanitation, etc. It needs a massive repressed labor force to modernize at that rapid of a pace.

Your arguments are so vapid and repulsive that I don't even know why I am responding.

Have you seen the slums outside Mumbai, India? That is the type of conditions that the exploited workers come from. There are a thousand places throughout Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh and Pakistan where conditions are a thousand times worse than those at the labor camps in Dubai. The salaries are a tenth of what they get paid here.

What do the slums of Mumbai have to do with Dubai? So basically you're saying that these Indians should shut up and accept what they've been given because it's better than what they might receive at home? Pitiful argument.

At least when racist Americans tell the Mexican migrant workers to shut up about their wages, they're talking about a somewhat livable wage! You're arguing that Indians should shut up because they're getting wages they can barely subsist on!

So I call ******** on your arguments. We live in a time where technology and industry has developed to a point where there is no need for that kind of repression. With the billions and billions that the Sheiks are pumping into these projects, the migrant workers could at least get something better than 10 dollars a day.

These contractors won't even let them leave! Some want to go back to India where it's so miserable because they're accumulating debt by staying in Dubai! They're in a much worse situation than they were when they left India!

I swear you clearly do not know what you're talking about and are flagrantly apologizing for the excesses of megalomaniacal Sheiks who accumulate massive profits off of the backs of repressed workers.
Shame on you!

Latest

Trending

Trending