The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is the dress code just "formal" or is it black tie?
Reply 2
Formal.
Your birthday suit. Aoww.
Hehe! Ball tonight!

SEE YOU THERE! :cheers:

We been told to get there between 7 and 7.30? Is that right? And do you know if there is going to be food there?
Reply 5
Why not black tie with black suit? Is it some etiquette rule or something? I think that would look better than black suit and blue tie. My BF is wearing black and black with white shirt to my ball tonight. :biggrin:
Reply 6
bestdeceptions
Hehe! Ball tonight!

SEE YOU THERE! :cheers:

We been told to get there between 7 and 7.30? Is that right? And do you know if there is going to be food there?

7-7.30. no later, no earlier apparantly! :confused:

There will be a buffet Ive been told!

If I dont see someone handing around with Broers (sp?) with a sign on their forehead saying "IM best deceptions from TSR" ill call you!

:punk:

[there's no reason why I shouldnt wear a black tie with black suit. I might do that. I just had my sister telling me not to be boring, thats all :rolleyes:

Not like it matters what I wear. Having had my haircut by the most wobbly handed cretin in the universe Ill look like a ****** anyway. (plots to go as forrest gump). I WANT ALL MY HAIR BACK...*stops complaining* )
]

edit: I still cant believe "to tard again" is censored. :frown:
Yeah that's what Lee told me! I just drove round to his to pick up the tickets. Hehe talk about leaving it to the last minute :rolleyes: Alright well we'll aim to be there then. Yeah I should be with Dave! I'll look out for you! I am not holding a "IM best deceptions from TSR" sign :p: You might see me, but everyone else will think I'm crazy!

I'd say a black tie is fine :smile:
Reply 8
I think a light blue tie would look better with a black suit. And a nice crisp blue cotton shirt from a fairly decent make (Thomas Pink is my favourite). But the chances are it wont matter too much. I personally dont like black or white shirts. I only wear white shirts for black tie.
If it's a ball, then wear Black Tie. I'm assuming you lot actually know what that means?
Reply 10
Inverurie Jones
If it's a ball, then wear Black Tie. I'm assuming you lot actually know what that means?

Balls aren't always Black Tie (although they usually are). It says earlier that the dress code was formal - which usually means lounge suits if I remeber right.
Reply 11
Just found some definitions off about.

Black Tie means formal. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

White Tie means ultra-formal. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

Formal usually means the same as Black Tie, but in some trendier cities like New York or Los Angeles, it could mean a black shirt, no tie with a tux. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Ultra-formal means White Tie. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

Black Tie Optional means you have the option of wearing a tuxedo, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Black Tie Invited means you have the option of wearing a tuxedo, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Creative Black Tie leaves room for trendy interpretations of formal wear. He can go more modern with a tux -- maybe a black shirt, no tie. She wears long or short dresses or evening separates (maybe a long lace or sequined skirt with a sleek cashmere sweater).

Semi-formal is the trickiest of all dress codes. Usually it means that tuxes are not required, nor are long dresses. An evening wedding (after 6 PM) would still dictate dark suits for him, and a cocktail dress for her. Daytime semi-formal events mean a suit for him and an appropriate short dress or dressy suit for her.

Cocktail Attire means short, elegant dresses for her and dark suits for him.

Dressy Casual usually means no jeans or shorts. Similar to business casual, but a tad dressier.

Casual generally means anything goes.

Informal can mean the same as casual. However, when associated with a wedding or other special event, some form of decorum and good taste should prevail. A dress for her or a nice pair of slacks and shirt for him are informal, but respectful of the event.

...but that all sounds a little american so probably nothing like that at all
Reply 12
And if I may be so bold as to say: Don't wear a tie to a formal!!! It looks like you're going to a job interview, or are a travellings salesman - especially if you then wear a non-white shirt. Bow-ties are hugely superior in every way. Normal ties are somewhat tacky with a good suit. And really avoid that trashy black shirt white tie thing - it's really hard to pull off.
Reply 13
greenmuzz
And really avoid that trashy black shirt white tie thing - it's really hard to pull off.

I'll second that one. eugh. shocking look.

Latest

Trending

Trending