The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Petroleum Engineering at Aberdeen

How are current undergrads finding the course at Aberdeen? An honest assessment is needed. I've got a 2nd year place there which I'm quite happy about.
Reply 1
Feedback from graduates from the degree would be appreciated too!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
There surely must be someone who can help!?
Reply 3
It's fairly new so you ain't going to hear much of anything about it. Being that it's directed at oil companies they do sponsor you somewhat by providing a laptop and I think there's something else that you can apply for also.
Reply 4
Yeah I guess that's a good point, but there surely must be one or two users on here.
Reply 5
To my knowlege only Aberdeen and Imperial offer straight Petroleum Engineering. The easiest way to find out about the course is to contact the department. My dad (a Chem Eng) who works in the oil industry reckons Chem Eng would give you more options.
Reply 6
Only Aberdeen, Portsmouth, Leeds and Manchester offer the course.

Yeah Chem Eng would provide more options, but Pet Eng allows me to work directly in the industry I want to: the oil industry. Wouldn't really like to go into finance the way a majority of Chemical Engineers do.
ChemEng90
Only Aberdeen, Portsmouth, Leeds and Manchester offer the course.

Yeah Chem Eng would provide more options, but Pet Eng allows me to work directly in the industry I want to: the oil industry. Wouldn't really like to go into finance the way a majority of Chemical Engineers do.

If you're in Aberdeen it's really not difficult to get a job in the oil industry. I think pretty much everyone here does a job in some way related to the oil and gas, lol.

I agree that chemical engineering probably would give you more options. I hear there is a great shortage of them in the oil industry any way. Remember, a lot of chemical engineering graduates might be down south where the presence of the oil and gas industries aren't so strong, hence the working in finance.

How many graduate engineers up here work in other industries?

Not much. If any.
Reply 8
Smack

I hear there is a great shortage of them in the oil industry any way.

There must be a greater shortage of Petroleum Engineers though, because all of a sudden Chemical Engineering is a REALLY popular course.

Smack

Remember, a lot of chemical engineering graduates might be down south where the presence of the oil and gas industries aren't so strong, hence the working in finance.

Makes sense lol :biggrin:

So Aberdeen really is the ideal place to study Petroleum Engineering isn't it, in order to get into the oil industry?
I think chemical engineering might have a bit of overlap with petroleum engineering, and that many chemical engineers who work in the oil industry may do very similar jobs to that of petroleum engineering graduates.

Well, Aberdeen is the oil capital of Europe. I'd certainly agree that engineers studying here have aspirations of getting into that industry, and that it's much easier for them to do so.
Reply 10
Smack

A lot of chemical engineering graduates might be down south where the presence of the oil and gas industries aren't so strong, hence the working in finance.

Have a look at oil company websites regarding location. I think that you will find Sunbury Upon Thames and Houston will beat Aberdeen on numbers.
marybella
Have a look at oil company websites regarding location. I think that you will find Sunbury Upon Thames and Houston will beat Aberdeen on numbers.

Didn't say otherwise.
Reply 12
Ignore my rubbish post. Happy now Bubbles?
Is it possible to study Petroleum MEng and then procede to a PhD in Engineering??
Reply 14
ChemEng90
There must be a greater shortage of Petroleum Engineers though, because all of a sudden Chemical Engineering is a REALLY popular course.

Makes sense lol :biggrin:

So Aberdeen really is the ideal place to study Petroleum Engineering isn't it, in order to get into the oil industry?

i got a BBB offer from aston (firm choice0 for chemical engineering and i am 98% sure that i wont get BBB but can easily manage A*BC as they are doing A* this year so what do u think are the chances of me getting in with A*BC
<
Reply 15
Anybody finally applied? Just looking for first-hand opinions on the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending