The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Apparently, you are the one who drives like an idiot Lauren, in a lot of cases it's not safe to get up to the speed limit, it's people like you with the "i'll drive around at 36 mph and only slow down if theres a camera" type attitude which are the s**t drivers.

19 year old female driver from cambridge/liverpool, complaining about learner drivers. I'm sure people can do the math but for those that can't - i'm guessing there is heavy irony in what this bird's saying.
Lauren
The sentence does make sense. I suggest you re-read it before you look like more of a fool.

If you read the very first post, I say that fair enough we were all learners once. This doesn't excuse the fact that some of them are crap.

If you read the first few pages you'll find a lot of people agreed, oh sorry, wait, you don't understand English.

The sentence reads, "It's blindingly obviously the people that drive while lacking due care, attention and skill."

Sorry. It's blindingly obvious they what? Where's the rest of the sentence?

God knows how you got into Cambridge. Probably by being arrogant in your interview.
Reply 102
I don't think people should be harsh to learner drivers, especially people on a student forum who have only recently passed their tests. We were all learner drivers once, we were all slow and made mistakes and were overtaken by bastard drivers who thought it was ok to cut us up because we were learners. Well now you're one of them. Congratulations. xx
Reply 103
what a lovely argument are those two (lauren n suzymakeherblue) having up there. carry on

learner drivers..some are ok, some are just annoying anoying annoying. I overtook one the other day, was driving on a 40zone she was like doing 20 and crawling...and then we came to a r.bout..that was painful too..so I overtook her on this 30 zone just before some lights in middle of the rushhour, and these damned lights like stay green for 5-6seconds and its another minute or two until theyre green again. i drove off then looked back and she'd stalled at the lights... and I was soo glad that I overtook her...saved me a whole 60seconds...
Reply 104
Lauren
Ok, we were all learners once, but now I see how bloody annoying they truly are. I was stuck behind one the whole way home. They spent ages at junctions and roundabouts and of course kept about 5 mph under the speed limit :mad: Anyway finally got to a 40 zone and was trying to overtake but they were being a tosser and sped up when I went to overtake. Then got to a 30 zone and the learner slammed on down to 25 (ie 40 down to 25). It was a slippy road as well since it's been raining so much hence was a pretty dangerous thing to do (and you're not supposed to randomly brake, even for a speed change). What a loser.

Edit: on retrospect, they were probably trying to annoy me because I was trying to overtake - if you're a learner, don't even try to play games because you're not experienced enough and could end up losing control, as this moron almost did.

I'm doubting anyone nearly lost control when they went from 35 to 25, it's not that much of a speed difference :\ maybe you were just a bit too close behind! I do that sometimes, like if someone is tailgating I randomly press my brakes, not too hard, but just to scare them.
Yeah I agree, learners are pretty slow and sometimes I go GRR.. but then I just think how scary driving a car is the first time, and then it's like aww.. just be patient and remember how you used to be.
yeah, its hard 2 imagine that every1 is like that at one point! its anooying when they are below the speed limit, i can understand them sticking 2 th espeed limit but below?! thats just stupid!
Reply 106
I am in agreement with Susiemakemeblue. That sentence does so not make sense! What is blindingly obviously the people that drive while lacking due care, attention and skill? I think you missed out a bit there! I'm guessing I can rule out English as the course you are currently taking at "the best university in the country"!
Reply 107
Someone said (to the effect of): "I hate tossers. Everyone knows people like that cause the most accidents anyway."
And I replied: "No, it's blindingly obviously the people that drive with no care, skill or attention".

If you read my original post you will see that it makes perfect sense when read in the context. And if you read my sig, you'll see I study natsci.

At any rate this is rather irrelevant. People have died today and our thoughts should be with the victims and their families. I need to make sure my London friends haven't been injured or killed.
Reply 108
there really annoying on roundabouts
Reply 109
Lauren
Ok, we were all learners once, but now I see how bloody annoying they truly are. I was stuck behind one the whole way home. They spent ages at junctions and roundabouts and of course kept about 5 mph under the speed limit :mad: Anyway finally got to a 40 zone and was trying to overtake but they were being a tosser and sped up when I went to overtake. Then got to a 30 zone and the learner slammed on down to 25 (ie 40 down to 25). It was a slippy road as well since it's been raining so much hence was a pretty dangerous thing to do (and you're not supposed to randomly brake, even for a speed change). What a loser.

Edit: on retrospect, they were probably trying to annoy me because I was trying to overtake - if you're a learner, don't even try to play games because you're not experienced enough and could end up losing control, as this moron almost did.

If it was wet and slippy you should have had an appropriate braking distance anyway, and kept well back because they were a learner and so you can assume they will brake randomly.

You shouldn't be overtaking in a 40 anyway, it's dangerous. I doubt they were trying to annoy you, but considering they probs had dual control and you didn't, from the sound of things you are more likely to lose control than them!
Lauren
Blindingly obviousLY. If you read it correctly, it would have made sense both the first and the second time.

I got into Cambridge by being intelligent.

Edit: My being at Cambridge is irrelevant to this thread. You want to bring personal details into it? Fine, then I will: You're obviously jealous that you're not at the best university in the country, and I am, and you need to make pathetic excuses for your inability to get a place there. :rolleyes: Grow up. Personal comments are seriously poor form.

No, it was ambiguous. And false, anyway.

PS - I applied to university after having taken my A-levels, having achieved grades more than good enough for any university in this country. If I wanted to go to Cambridge I would have applied there. Duh. :rolleyes:
Everyone has to learn and its important to remember that you could be behind someone on their first few lessons. Getting right up close to them, cutting them up or giving them **** just makes them panic and possibly cause an accident.
Reply 112
frost105
Everyone has to learn and its important to remember that you could be behind someone on their first few lessons. Getting right up close to them, cutting them up or giving them **** just makes them panic and possibly cause an accident.

i already explained that this wasn't a person in an instructors car, i was trying to overtake and they kept speeding up and swerving when i made attempts to do so.

oh, i found out a rather sad story. i heard that a little girl had been run over on her way to school by someone else on the school run who we all assumed it was a parent. turns out it was a learner driver and the parent was in the passenger seat. it is not safe for a learner to be with anyone other than an instructor, nor to be driving anywhere near a school. you'll be glad to know the little girl wasn't killed though. i'm keeping my baby sis well away from the edge of the pavement now.
Lauren
i already explained that this wasn't a person in an instructors car, i was trying to overtake and they kept speeding up and swerving when i made attempts to do so.

oh, i found out a rather sad story. i heard that a little girl had been run over on her way to school by someone else on the school run who we all assumed it was a parent. turns out it was a learner driver and the parent was in the passenger seat. it is not safe for a learner to be with anyone other than an instructor, nor to be driving anywhere near a school. you'll be glad to know the little girl wasn't killed though. i'm keeping my baby sis well away from the edge of the pavement now.

I learned from my mum and managed to run no one over. Heck learner drivers are more likely to be more cautious than most road users and do you know what makes school areas so dangerous at the start and end of schools-parents who are too lazy to walk or park 5 minutes away from the school.
Reply 114
frost105
I learned from my mum and managed to run no one over. Heck learner drivers are more likely to be more cautious than most road users and do you know what makes school areas so dangerous at the start and end of schools-parents who are too lazy to walk or park 5 minutes away from the school.

i know all about schools, i work in one during my vacations. there's loads of crossings, and most kids get the bus anyway. drivers need to be extra vigilant when there are little kids about - they're very likely to run in front of you!!
Lauren
Okay darling read better next time.

You have just proved my point. You know nothing about me hence personal comments are redundant.

PS. Unconditional offers from Cambridge are all the rage. But I didn't have to go to uni with the year below me to get mine. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say!

It's called a "gap year", hon. You know, where you elect to take a year out between A-levels and a degree, in an attempt to make your youth last for as long as possible? I got offered a job paying £18,000 pa, and my university last year wouldn't defer my place at such a late stage. So I decided to re-apply and have been earning great money all year.

When you get to uni, a year or two in age doesn't make a difference. It only makes a difference when you're a child. You clearly have a child's mentality.

Anyway, this is irrelevant. You're just talking a load of crap. Oh, so you hear one story about a kid getting run over by a learner driver. So you're trying to tell me some arrogant **** in a BMW has never run a child over going too fast? And anybody with a brain would keep their little sister well away from the edge of the pavement anyway......it's called common sense. :rolleyes:
Reply 116
Children, children.
Graham, Graham....
Reply 118
susiemakemeblue
Graham, Graham....

Who? :biggrin:
Norton :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending