The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Inzamam99
Firstly President Musharraf purged the ISI of pro-Taleban loyalists a couple of years back. I agree their still may be some hardliners but there're hardliners in every intelligence agency and military. For examples hardliners in RAW want India to renounce its no-nuclear first strike policy and basically raise military spending to astronomical levels while targeting Pakistan (same on Pak. side).

Also if the Indians prop the Afghan government the Pakistanis will be very worried as that's traditionally been their area of influence- even today 40% of afghan imports come from Pakistan.

Well I can say I have more or less agreed with you on both of these points.

Talking about relations between Afghanistan and Pakistan, I've always wanted to create a thread about the Durand Line, the present demarciation of the borders and the idea of a 'Pashtunistan'. What are your views on the matter as a Pakistani? (Not about the chances of it happening but just the concept) It's really OT so PM the answer if you got time.
Reply 21
Viraj_c
I disagree. Pakistan will continue to fund the Afgan Taliban and if looking at it from a purely Pakistani point of view, it should. Once the US withdraws from Afganistan, Pakistan will look to use the Afgan Taliban to exert influence. It doesn't hold much sway with the Karzai regime, which will in all probablilty collapse when the US withdraws. The only regime which will flourish there is the one which Pakistan wants, and the ISI's choice is the taliban.

A lot of the Pakistani's I have encountered continue to believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy to attack Afganistan, and even if they accept 9/11, maintain that war was as illegitimate as Iraq. Thats why I made the comment. But yes, some people will hold different views.

The Indian media is absolute crap. You shouldn't read into anything they say. The Indian mentality towards the Pakistani accusations is that RAW is so hopelessly incompetent when looking at preventing and gathering intelligence about attacks within India, how on earth could they plan any elsewhere. But the truth is that India probably funds the TTP from Afganistan, and funds the Baluchistan Liberation Army. Both countries are at it. You can't say either is innocent. Both populations need to realise it.

Lol sorry mate.

1) That's to be seen, the ISI would fund (like all other countries) the regime that suits them. That will most likely not be the Taleban as in that scenario the US would withdraw the enormous amount of cash it's currently pumping into the military and economy.

2) Well I haven't from a personal perspective the war in Afghnistan WAS justified as the Talebans were worse than mad dogs with rabies.

3) I agree with everything in the last paragraph- the Indian media especially is LUDICROUS. There was an article in Indian reuters some months back about how former Pakistani cricket captain fantasises about Aaishwarya Rai and how they're gonna get married :lolwut:.
If the Pakistani Taleban got within 10 miles of a storage centre containing nuclear components the Pakistani army would obliterate the place before they even got there. They're not stupid and they certainly wouldn't risk allowing even simple component parts falling into the wrong hands. They know that failure to keep their nuclear arms secure would act as a pretext for other nations to invade and they wouldn't be willing to give that excuse to anyone.
Reply 23
Haft_Hasht_Shish

Talking about relations between Afghanistan and Pakistan, I've always wanted to create a thread about the Durand Line, the present demarciation of the borders and the idea of a 'Pashtunistan'. What are your views on the matter as a Pakistani? (Not about the chances of it happening but just the concept) It's really OT so PM the answer if you got time.

Pashtunistan is romantic concept really and although it gained some support in the 1970's and during the time of the British empire, it's virtually impossible that the country of Pashtunistan will actually form. This is simply because the Afghans and Pakistanis won't let it. Particurly in the Pakistani side the military is really very strong and crush any nationalistic movement immediately. There's some support within the Pakistani government however to rename the NWFP as Pashtunistan while ensuring that it remains a part of the country.

Pashtun nationalists in Pakistan, however, are cognizant of the fact that Afghanistan simply wishes to annex Pashtunistan, and are weary of its support. The old claim that Pashtunistan could rely on Afghanistan instead of Pakistan has also been diminished, since Afghanistan's economy and infrastructure have been decimated. Further, many members of Afghanistan's non-Pashtun majority express hostility and antagonism towards Pashtuns, since the Taliban was primarily Pashtun. Pashtun nationalists no longer can find a reliable friend in Afghanistan, or Russia, and their disdain for Indians (Pashtun Nationalists see Punjabi culture as oppressive, but view India as the ultimate source of those traditions) means that few are left to support Pashtunistan.

I'll PM later about the Durand line etc. can't be asked to write much more. :o:
Reply 24
fire2burn
If the Pakistani Taleban got within 10 miles of a storage centre containing nuclear components the Pakistani army would obliterate the place before they even got there. They're not stupid and they certainly wouldn't risk allowing even simple component parts falling into the wrong hands. They know that failure to keep their nuclear arms secure would act as a pretext for other nations to invade and they wouldn't be willing to give that excuse to anyone.

Yeah and believe me invading Pakistan would be virtually impossible for even the USA. Not only does it have a well trained professional army (numbering 1.2m including reserves), it also has a pretty modern and numerate air force. If the USA somehow managed to get past all that there's always the millions of well armed Pashtun and Balcohi tribesmen hiding in the mountains. It'll basically be like Iran (if they invade), Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam combined together and then some.
Reply 25
Inzamam99
Yeah and believe me invading Pakistan would be virtually impossible for even the USA. Not only does it have a well trained professional army (numbering 1.2m including reserves), it also has a pretty modern and numerate air force. If the USA somehow managed to get past all that there's always the millions of well armed Pashtun and Balcohi tribesmen hiding in the mountains. It'll basically be like Iran (if they invade), Afghanistan, Iraq and Vietnam combined together and then some.

Yes, it got to the positions of power instead.
Reply 26
roots
Yes, it got to the positions of power instead.

Sorry what do you mean?
Reply 27
Inzamam99
Sorry what do you mean?

Inzy bhai, he is saying that the US has bought of Pakistan, and that Zardari is a ghaddar.
Reply 28
Viraj_c
Inzy bhai, he is saying that the US has bought of Pakistan, and that Zardari is a ghaddar.

ahh.. yes I agree Zardari is most honestly the most corrupt person Pakistani person ever (that's without exaggeration). However it will be the military not the government that will be calling the shots if the said scenario takes place. The Politicians all are cowardly sleaze balls which is why the military finds it neccessary to initiate a coup every now and again.

Anyways thanks for your help Vijay beta
Reply 29
Inzamam99

Loving the nationalism but the USA would pound Pakistan into the dust.
Reply 30
Sakujo

Yeah im pretty patriotic lol but what im saying is the US will defeat the Pakistani military but it'll take a hell of a lot longer than Iran or Iraq or Afghanistan (combined imo). Also even when the military has been beaten, an INVASION will be virtually impossible for the US given the ludicrous amount of resistance it'll encounter from Pashtun and Baloch tribes and indeed the ordinary Pakistani citizen. Just keep in mind, the US can barely maintain its grip on Afghanistan and it didn't even have to fight an army to invade that country. What's more it's likely many of the Pakistani troops will resort to guerilla warfare- that's potentially over a million well trained men who'll be much harder to defeat than the Taleban atc. Hope u get my gist :smile:
Reply 31
Extremely unlikely, anyway I think that in the very unlikely circumstance that extremist Muslims were about to take control of nukes, India would indiscriminately carpet bomb Pakistan to completely remove this possibility.
Reply 32
Sakujo

The country that couldn't pound Vietnam into dust? Pakistan is pretty patriotic, it would result in guerilla warfare, terror attacks on American interest etc etc. Plus america couldn't use nuclear deterrents as that would effect India and India wouldn't allow it.
India would destroy Pakistan's nuclear facilities if the Taliban ever controlled the country. As would NATO, Russia and perhaps even China.
Reply 34
Drabble
Extremely unlikely, anyway I think that in the very unlikely circumstance that extremist Muslims were about to take control of nukes, India would indiscriminately carpet bomb Pakistan to completely remove this possibility.

Sorry but no it won't Pakistan would retaliate perhaps with a nuclear strike if India went anywhere near its facilities no matter what the circimstances.
Reply 35
Luckily for the UK, Pakistani scientists aren't very good and their rockets cannot reach us. Unfortunately for Iran, the Taliban are wahhabi terrorists and might target Iran (Iran has been fighting the Taliban longer than the west).

The war on terror should be taken to Pakistan, the base of the taliban.
Reply 36
Inzamam99

That is a lie. The pashtuns and the Baloch hate pakistan, they want to seperate from Pakistan and the Pakistani Army is at war with them
Reply 37
Anyway, the Pakistani government is so corrupt, America could probably bribe them with a few million dollars and a green card. If the west takes the war to Pakistan, it will be conducted with the Pakistani Army and not against it.
Reply 38
Drabble
Plus america couldn't use nuclear deterrents as that would effect India and India wouldn't allow it.

No it wouldn't. There are different levels of nuclear bombs.
Reply 39
Haft_Hasht_Shish

IMO that is the best option. The Taliban are the pashtuns. We should create Pashtunistan, and take the war there. This Idea is gaining momentum, and we're going to start hearing about it soon, especially since America is talking about taking the war to Pakistan.

Latest

Trending

Trending