The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Llamageddon
thing is with subjects like maths, chemistry and physics... to some people they're really easy and it's the others that are hard. I'm pretty good at chemistry but absolutely rubbish at history, for example.

Haha, yeah, I absolutely love chemistry too because it's such a methodical subject. I love english too though and am better at it. I still kick myself asking why I didn't do it at A level. Don't universities love subjects like history and english because of all the essay writing?
Reply 61
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Philosophy. Broadens the mind and equips you with essay writing skills and ways of looking at issues. Universities love it. Sociology is more of a doss subject because it's so easy.

Ah, thanks :smile:
Right now I'm not sure between English lang. and Philosophy :p:
Reply 62
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Haha, yeah, I absolutely love chemistry too because it's such a methodical subject. I love english too though and am better at it. I still kick myself asking why I didn't do it at A level. Don't universities love subjects like history and english because of all the essay writing?

Really? I wouldn't take English unless I have to, tbh. It's a pain.
I'd have done Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology. Just my opinion.
I do psychology atm.

Most of the time, you don't need anything as it's all taught assuming you have no prior knowledge of the course. The best combination would be Biology, Psychology and Maths/Stats, but you won't need the a level in math/statistics much because it's only very basic stuff we need, and most courses use a package that calculate the statistics for you (SPSS). So i'd say choose whatever you enjoy the most.

More essay based subjects would also pay off, sociology, english, stuff like that.
Evanesyne
Ah, thanks :smile:
Right now I'm not sure between English lang. and Philosophy :p:

That's a toughie. Why not do English literature? It gives you problem solving skills, analytical skills and language skills.
As long as you do Psychology I don't think it matters too much. English probably compliments it well though and means that unis know that you can write well, Statistics are also useful for a Psychology degree. If possible I wouldn't take Graphics as most top universities prefer academic subjects to non-academic subjects, and therefore would be less likely to offer you a place.
Reply 67
BritPakistaniMuslimah
That's a toughie. Why not do English literature? It gives you problem solving skills, analytical skills and language skills.

Hmm, I don't know. I've never really liked English Lit, even though I love reading. It's just I find it a little annoying when the teachers over-interpret meanings.
Evanesyne
Hmm, I don't know. I've never really liked English Lit, even though I love reading. It's just I find it a little annoying when the teachers over-interpret meanings.

Haha I'm the opposite, I like interpreting :smile: Anyway, good luck to you :smile:
Reply 69
becomingbindy
As long as you do Psychology I don't think it matters too much. English probably compliments it well though and means that unis know that you can write well, Statistics are also useful for a Psychology degree. If possible I wouldn't take Graphics as most top universities prefer academic subjects to non-academic subjects, and therefore would be less likely to offer you a place.

They say they don't mind as long as you have a science-based subject, so they shouldn't mind. Yet they do :curious: They should just add it into their admissions policy about what they like and don't like.
Reply 70
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Haha I'm the opposite, I like interpreting :smile: Anyway, good luck to you :smile:

But it ruins the story :p:
Psychology
Math
English
Biology
+ What ever other subject you enjoy most/are best at.

IMO
Evanesyne
They say they don't mind as long as you have a science-based subject, so they shouldn't mind. Yet they do :curious: They should just add it into their admissions policy about what they like and don't like.

I know someone who got rejected from a few of her choices just because one of her subjects was PE (she also takes Biology and Geography and was predicted As). It's kind of unfair, but at most of the open days I went to they said preference is given to applicants with three academic subjects.
Reply 73
becomingbindy
I know someone who got rejected from a few of her choices just because one of her subjects was PE (she also takes Biology and Geography and was predicted As). It's kind of unfair, but at most of the open days I went to they said preference is given to applicants with three academic subjects.

:eek: That's so unfair! I thought unis liked students with a range of abilities and interests?
Evanesyne
:eek: That's so unfair! I thought unis liked students with a range of abilities and interests?

Yeah it is unfair. I think they like applicants with lots of diverse extra-curriculars rather than diverse school subjects- they tend to like the subjects you to take to relate directly to the course you're applying for. For Psychology, sciences, maths, english and humanities are valued highly because they like to see that you can use scientific/mathematic processes, but also write well. A mixture of these is probably your best bet if you're looking at applying to Top 40 universities.
Reply 75
becomingbindy
Yeah it is unfair. I think they like applicants with lots of diverse extra-curriculars rather than diverse school subjects- they tend to like the subjects you to take to relate directly to the course you're applying for. For Psychology, sciences, maths, english and humanities are valued highly because they like to see that you can use scientific/mathematic processes, but also write well. A mixture of these is probably your best bet if you're looking at applying to Top 40 universities.

Ah. Would some relavant work experience or volunteering help?
Evanesyne
Ah. Would some relavant work experience or volunteering help?

Definitely :smile: I did three work experience placements, volunteered for St John Ambulance and worked as a carer for a disabled child. Not sure you need to do that much, but some unis I applied to (Warwick, Nottingham) placed a lot of importance on relevant work experience.
Evanesyne

Not exactly.. you're better off doing relevent/rigorous A Levels. Which you are anyway.
Reply 78
becomingbindy
Definitely :smile: I did three work experience placements, volunteered for St John Ambulance and worked as a carer for a disabled child. Not sure you need to do that much, but some unis I applied to (Warwick, Nottingham) placed a lot of importance on relevant work experience.

Gosh, that's before uni, right?
Reply 79
Jonty99
Not exactly.. you're better off doing relevent/rigorous A Levels. Which you are anyway.

I think I'm going to take 4 academic subjects with a 5th subject that I enjoy to keep me sane. As long as Philosophy counts as an academic subject. :rolleyes:

Latest