The Student Room Group

A-level choices??

I'm choosing my A levels and was originally going to do history English lit and psychology I love English so lit is definitely going to be one and same with psychology in case I decide to be a psychologist. I get top marks in history as in 7s and 8s and enjoy it but after a taster a level lesson we had I realised its just going to be learning the same stuff for another two years. Especially because half the history is biased I literally was so bored and am now thinking sociology but in terms of university would this stunt my applications, I do good in history and judging by how similar it will be to my usual lessons it's like a guaranteed good grade for me but I'm confused as sociology seemed really intresting thanks
Original post by raucous-craving
I'm choosing my A levels and was originally going to do history English lit and psychology I love English so lit is definitely going to be one and same with psychology in case I decide to be a psychologist. I get top marks in history as in 7s and 8s and enjoy it but after a taster a level lesson we had I realised its just going to be learning the same stuff for another two years. Especially because half the history is biased I literally was so bored and am now thinking sociology but in terms of university would this stunt my applications, I do good in history and judging by how similar it will be to my usual lessons it's like a guaranteed good grade for me but I'm confused as sociology seemed really intresting thanks

I would look at what subjects universities want for psychology, but I imagine sociology would be fine for it.

English, History and Psychology would allow you to do degrees in Law, English, History, Politics, Sociology, International Relations. But if you want to do Psychology at degree level, then you might consider Maths and Biology alongside Psychology? 😉
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would look at what subjects universities want for psychology, but I imagine sociology would be fine for it.

Yes that's what I thought but then a lot of people were saying that those would probably not look the best in applications
Original post by thegeek888
English, History and Psychology would allow you to do degrees in Law, English, History, Politics, Sociology, International Relations. But if you want to do Psychology at degree level, then you might consider Maths and Biology alongside Psychology? 😉

I don't 100% want to be a psychologist and all those stuff you listed are also stuff I am interested in that's why I'm trying to keep my alevels open but not really sure what to pick thank you though for your suggestions
Reply 5

Psychology is a science at Uni level - and whilst some Uni will accept just Psychology, others will want a science A level and they also usually want a high GCSE Maths grade. Having a degree in Psychology doesnt make you 'a Psychologist' - you will then need to do a Masters degree, a PhD and get years of clinical experience - see Clinical psychologist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk Most Psychology grads end up working in career areas with no real connection to practical Psychology.

If you are interested in this area from a more social science angle, look at degree courses like
Education with Psychology BA (Hons) (bath.ac.uk)
Childhood Studies | Study at Bristol | University of Bristol
Sociology with Social Psychology (BA) - Undergraduate, University of York
Human Resource Management and Business Psychology | Manchester Metropolitan University (mmu.ac.uk)
Reply 6
english lit and history are great but def consider maths and bio as well if you can do 4. if you cant do 4 pick three of those, maths is a really great facilitating subject, so with a science like bio, maths, plus an essay subject like eng or history your options are pretty open!

Sociology is fine. I did it at both gcse and a-level and absolutely loved it. I wouldnt listen to what anyone says about it being a softer a-level or anything. Its fine. Id deffo look into it.
What do you want to do at uni?

If you can manage it, stick with History as it would give you a wider range of options. If not, choose Sociology.
Original post by Emma:-)
Sociology is fine. I did it at both gcse and a-level and absolutely loved it. I wouldnt listen to what anyone says about it being a softer a-level or anything. Its fine. Id deffo look into it.
What do you want to do at uni?

I don't know I'm confused lol but left it too late and need to decide today so just gonna have to go with my gut which is confused 😂 but oh well

Hi there

I would recommend checking different University entry requirements. If your A levels fit in with these then they should be fine. I would recommend choosing subjects you are likely to enjoy and do well in.

I think choosing subjects that ensure yourself good grades is important. There are many other ways of boosting University applications, such as: doing extra curricular activities, volunteering or work experiences.

Good luck with your studies.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest