The Student Room Group

Question about resits

I achieved 9 A*s & 2 As in my GCSEs in the summer. And I'm hoping, hope being the key word, to make into a top 5 Uni for a Medicine degree. In terms of my own capabilities (and using these Jan modules as a measure), I honestly think I could achieve/and I'm predicted for 3 A*s and an A in my A2 results. But I am going to have to re-take my AS Physics Unit 2 exam, which the school have decided to do in January, in June for sure.

So I'm wondering as to how much of a difference the one re-sit will make? I mean if someone applies with predicted 3 A*s and an A, with one re-sit does it make no difference. Or is it the case that I've seen with a few Unis, i.e. Imperial, you're rejected or not even given the opportunity to apply for the course due to the over-subscribed courses.

Thanks
ElMaestro
I achieved 9 A*s & 2 As in my GCSEs in the summer. And I'm hoping, hope being the key word, to make into a top 5 Uni for a Medicine degree. In terms of my own capabilities (and using these Jan modules as a measure), I honestly think I could achieve/and I'm predicted for 3 A*s and an A in my A2 results. But I am going to have to re-take my AS Physics Unit 2 exam, which the school have decided to do in January, in June for sure.

So I'm wondering as to how much of a difference the one re-sit will make? I mean if someone applies with predicted 3 A*s and an A, with one re-sit does it make no difference. Or is it the case that I've seen with a few Unis, i.e. Imperial, you're rejected or not even given the opportunity to apply for the course due to the over-subscribed courses.

Thanks

I doubt it would make any difference, although it COULD be a factor in deciding between equally qualified applicants. There is no straightforward answer - if you HAVE to retake a module, then there is no point speculating whether it will affect your chances. Your speculation won't change whether you retake or not. Also, I know plenty of people at top uni's with retakes. Although, none of them are medicine applicants.

Actually, my sister got in to Imperial for medicine with a B in a chemistry module... but her teacher was abysmal.
Reply 2
It'd pretty much be only one re-sit within the two years, and the re-sit would be the consequence of family issues. I'd just like some clarity, plus I'd be pretty much annoyed if I'm rejected totally (before the opportunity of an interview) just on the basis of that one re-sit.

These two are useful, and look promising
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1148918
Depends what your grade for the module was. If you're resitting because you got a D then it can be a significant factor. If you're resitting because you got an A/B in that module and just want to bump up your grade to have higher UMS points then it won't hold you back too much.

There are many people that get A's in a subject but still do resits to push up their module marks into the 90s.
Reply 4
Yeah, but will the Unis even know when/or if I'm taking my re-sits? Or my grade for that matter?
ElMaestro
Yeah, but will the Unis even know when/or if I'm taking my re-sits? Or my grade for that matter?

Cambridge does if you apply there. (you have to declare every resit/module score of everything)
Reply 6
I resat two modules in the AS yearr and will probably be resitting another two A2 modules after these crappy jan exams, dont worry about it. I didn't even need to declare any of that stuff to oxford.
Reply 7
T-o dore
Cambridge does if you apply there. (you have to declare every resit/module score of everything)

Say for example, Imperial or UCL?

Latest

Trending

Trending