The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Summer School

Well, I have been told by the coordinator of Oxbridge in my school, that if we want to go to either Cambridge or Oxford, or do any academic degree in a "good" university, then it is a good idea to apply for one of their summer schools.

I went to the meeting and a girl that went to the Cambridge one last year said it was free for her. she even asked them to pay her traveling expenses.

However, when I got back home and went on the Oxford website (and the Cambridge one afterwards), there was nothing like free summer schools and the prices mentioned were around £2000 for the two week stay!

Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to get it for free or at least pay less?

....And any general comments about summer school experiences would be welcome :smile:

Thank you
Reply 1
Gabriela
Well, I have been told by the coordinator of Oxbridge in my school, that if we want to go to either Cambridge or Oxford, or do any academic degree in a "good" university, then it is a good idea to apply for one of their summer schools.

I went to the meeting and a girl that went to the Cambridge one last year said it was free for her. she even asked them to pay her traveling expenses.

However, when I got back home and went on the Oxford website (and the Cambridge one afterwards), there was nothing like free summer schools and the prices mentioned were around £2000 for the two week stay!

Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to get it for free or at least pay less?

....And any general comments about summer school experiences would be welcome :smile:

Thank you

I have no idea where you're getting those figures from. o.O

Oxford Summer Schools

and Cambridge Summer Schools. For Cambridge, you need to be attending a state school as it's Sutton Trust, but they do pay all the fees I believe. Oxford has no criteria and they pay the fees.
What? I'm applying for the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, and I'm pretty certain it's completely free, as are the Sutton Trust ones at Cambridge and other Universities.
Reply 3
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/new_summer_school.html

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/year12summerschools/

And no you don't have to have done a summer school at Oxford, Cambridge or any good university just to get onto an academic degree course.
Reply 4
Lorypop
I have no idea where you're getting those figures from. o.O

Oxford Summer Schools

and Cambridge Summer Schools. For Cambridge, you need to be attending a state school as it's Sutton Trust, but they do pay all the fees I believe. Oxford has no criteria and they pay the fees.

Here: http://www.oxfordsummercourses.com/Prices%20%26%20Dates.html

:s-smilie: Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 5
I got offers for "academic" degrees at very "good" universities, without spending/wasting £2000 at a summer school at Oxford or Cambridge. Either 1) your teacher lies/ is misinformed or 2) I'm lucky/bloody brilliant. I'm more than willing to entertain the latter, but seeing as I don't know anyone, Oxbridge student or otherwise who went to one of these courses, I'm guessing it's the former.
^Same as above. I hate all this kind of stuff, really cant see how it will make any difference. I'd just feel slightly desperate and awkward, but maybe i'm just self conscious...

EDIT: More apt word came to mind :P
Reply 7
Strangey
I got offers for "academic" degrees at very "good" universities, without spending/wasting £2000 at a summer school at Oxford or Cambridge. Either 1) your teacher lies/ is misinformed or 2) I'm lucky/bloody brilliant. I'm more than willing to entertain the latter, but seeing as I don't know anyone, Oxbridge student or otherwise who went to one of these courses, I'm guessing it's the former.

Congratulations, but I didn't say that going to a summer school would be the only way you are going to get to a "good" uni, I just said it was a good idea (to have it on your CV, for instance) as it shows determination and commitment to your course :smile:
Reply 8
Revolution is my Name
What? I'm applying for the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, and I'm pretty certain it's completely free, as are the Sutton Trust ones at Cambridge and other Universities.

Well, now that I have the correct websites I am applying for Oxford too :P
Might see you there. Good luck :smile:

Why don't you just apply for the ones actually run by Oxford then? Because I highly doubt going on something where you're guaranteed a place by paying 2 and a half thousand pounds will put you at any advantage whatsoever.
Reply 10
Revolution is my Name
Why don't you just apply for the ones actually run by Oxford then? Because I highly doubt going on something where you're guaranteed a place by paying 2 and a half thousand pounds will put you at any advantage whatsoever.

Is that the UNIQ one? and about the website I posted, someone gave me another one and now I see it is free. So, if that's what you mean then I will :smile:
Gabriela
Is that the UNIQ one? and about the website I posted, someone gave me another one and now I see it is free. So, if that's what you mean then I will :smile:

Yeah, that is the UNIQ one.
Reply 12

That seems almost like a scam. £2000?! I can't believe anyone would actually go on those with Sutton Trust and UNIQ and the like. :eek:
Lorypop
That seems almost like a scam. £2000?! I can't believe anyone would actually go on those with Sutton Trust and UNIQ and the like. :eek:

Unless of course your parents have more money than sense, and you wouldn't be able to get on those ones.
Lorypop

Although, actually, I think UNIQ and the Sutton Trust are only for people at State Schools?
If you want to do a science or engineering course, Headstart do them at various different universities, including Oxbridge - http://www.headstartcourses.org.uk/

They cost quite a bit, though - about £400 :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Just wondering, it says on the Cambridge summer school site that you can't apply for more than one summer school. But does this purely include the ones run by Sutton Trust or the UNIQ one as well. Basically, I was thinking of applying for both, but would they get a bit annoyed if I did?
Reply 17
Are these on offer for state school students only?
Reply 18
Do you know what age range these summer schools are for? I'm in year 11, and I got the impression from the website that maybe these were aimed at older, but I'd still like to go.
roomthily
Just wondering, it says on the Cambridge summer school site that you can't apply for more than one summer school. But does this purely include the ones run by Sutton Trust or the UNIQ one as well. Basically, I was thinking of applying for both, but would they get a bit annoyed if I did?

I was under the impression that, because the UNIQ scheme now operates separately from the Sutton Trust, then that meant that you could apply to both, and I can't really see how either would know you'd also applied to the other (since the application systems are separate), so it'd be pretty difficult for them to be annoyed.

Latest

Trending

Trending