Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

could someone please give me a detailed description and working out for this question as I dont seem to understand how you do them....Iv got the basics of expanding the formulas etc but im really quite confused...!!

(i)Express 4 cosθ − sinθ in the form Rcos(θ + α ), where R > 0 and 0◦ < α < 90◦. [3]

(ii) Hence solve the equation 4 cosθ − sinθ = 2, giving all solutions for which −180◦ < θ < 180◦.
    [5]

WILL REP THE MOST CONCISE ANSWER!!!
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    ok

i) R is the square root of 4 squared + 2 squared
    To find the angle you do cos/sin as in 4/1 then do inverse tan of this answer

ii) you use the previuos answer to work out the angles

ReputationRep:
    First expand the RHS:
    4cosx-sinx=Rcosxcosa - Rsinxsina

[Mod edit: Please don't post full solutions. Read the posting guide sticky at the top of the thread list.]

(ii)use your Rcos(x+a) formula from (i) and solve!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't help which is a good reason to rep me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    Hi,

could someone please give me a detailed description and working out for this question as I dont seem to understand how you do them....Iv got the basics of expanding the formulas etc but im really quite confused...!!

(i)Express 4 cosθ − sinθ in the form Rcos(θ + α ), where R > 0 and 0◦ < α < 90◦. [3]

(ii) Hence solve the equation 4 cosθ − sinθ = 2, giving all solutions for which −180◦ < θ < 180◦.
    [5]

WILL REP THE MOST CONCISE ANSWER!!!
    thank you
    i) Use the cos(A+B) rule and expand. Remember to write 'R' in front. A = θ and B = α

Next step. You must group the terms together where you will find Rcosα and Rcosθ and that will be equal to a number.

You know that Rcosα = x and Rcosθ = y (whatever number you get, in this case 4 & 1).

Then, you draw a right angled triangle, fill in the lengths, O and A and work out R by using pythag. Work out what tana = O/A and do inverse tan to find out what a is. Now you have R and a. Re-write.

ii) From part i, you have formed an equation in the form of Rcos(θ + α ) = 2 (2's given in question)

Divide by the value of R by bringing it across to the RHS, so you get: 2/R

Solve like normal trig.

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    It works so why do I care.

You guys go back and do sina / cosa to obtain tana and then do tan^-1 right?

I find it's easier, just stick the R back in and obtain the angle.

:yeah:
    yeah. But, it's funner to make it tan! Honest.
    I don't like dealing with R, since it's usually a surd, and I hate surds!

ReputationRep:
    sweet thanks......just wandering tho, strictly speaking, in case i get another type, should it be Rsina = -1? as its 4cosa - Sina.....

and could u actually do part ii.) for me so I fully understand, i will then rep you!!! thankssss
    it's not -1 because it's also -Rsinxsina on the RHS. If that made any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    It works so why do I care.

You guys go back and do sina / cosa to obtain tana and then do tan^-1 right?

I find it's easier, just stick the R back in and obtain the angle.

:yeah:
    I draw a right angled triangle. Label cos and sin, work out R using pythag. Then work out tana by O/A. :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unamed)
    yeah. But, it's funner to make it tan! Honest.
    I don't like dealing with R, since it's usually a surd, and I hate surds!
    True mathematicians love surds. :love:

I even eat them for breakfast. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

I'm not a true mathematician, then. I'm a physicist - and we like our calculus.
    We do it in our sleep.

[by the way, i swear you were a girl the other day! :eek:]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)

right that was verrrrry heplful I completely get it now thankyou so much.....not just you but everyone who posted....Im gonna rep MJ but wish I could rep you all, sorry to those who I havnt!! but thanks anyway!!! ......... btw in these question will it most likely always be in the form
    show that xcosa - xsina = Rcos(x-a) ....basicaly do they only use COS and SINE in C3, on the left hand side??

ReputationRep:
    right that was verrrrry heplful I completely get it now thankyou so much.....not just you but everyone who posted....Im gonna rep MJ but wish I could rep you all, sorry to those who I havnt!! but thanks anyway!!! ......... btw in these question will it most likely always be in the form
    show that xcosa - xsina = Rcos(x-a) ....basicaly do they only use COS and SINE in C3 on the left hand side??
    Thanks and yes.

You may get 2sinx + 5cosx for example.

Solving 2secx = 3 is a totally different question.

ReputationRep:
    Just a reminder people, posting full solutions here is not permitted. Please see the posting guide at the top of the thread list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gottastudy)
    I draw a right angled triangle. Label cos and sin, work out R using pythag. Then work out tana by O/A. :yeah:
    That is one long method, it is just an excuse for you to draw triangles??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Just a reminder people, posting full solutions here is not permitted. Please see the posting guide at the top of the thread list.
    I actually never knew this! :eek: I shall obey the rule from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazedmonkey09)
    That is one long method, it is just an excuse for you to draw triangles??
    :awesome: Yes. I have finally mastered drawing perfect right angled triangles. :yep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually, I just learnt the method in the book. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.