Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovmaths)
    if i e-mail UKMT, telling them my name and school, do you think they will send me my result? because i don't think i can wait 2 weeks, till the school gets our result... :P
    (i'm so impatient!! haha )
    Very unlikely imo :p:. It's only two weeks!
    That's really impressive getting into the Hamilton btw, I only got into the grey kangaroo when I did it in Year 10 :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Well, pink kangaroo for me by the looks of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Very unlikely imo :p:. It's only two weeks!
    That's really impressive getting into the Hamilton btw, I only got into the grey kangaroo when I did it in Year 10 :p:.
    lol thanks

are you preparing for the Olympiad then??
    i want to do some preparation... but i don't know what to do :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovmaths)
    lol thanks

are you preparing for the Olympiad then??
    i want to do some preparation... but i don't know what to do :O
    I sure would like to know how to prepare too :p:. I've looked everywhere for past papers but nothing seems to be on the internet!
    It looks like the only way is to buy them. I'm going to buy the whole olympiad set from their website (it's only £2.50) so I'd be happy to pm you the Hamilton Olympiad past papers once I get them .

ReputationRep:
    I sure would like to know how to prepare too :p:. I've looked everywhere for past papers but nothing seems to be on the internet!
    It looks like the only way is to buy them. I'm going to buy the whole olympiad set from their website (it's only £2.50) so I'd be happy to pm you the Hamilton Olympiad past papers once I get them .
    that would be great thank you so much!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I got 67. None of the three people that have made the olympiad 4 years in a row (including myself) got into the Maclaurin. However, some of the worst people in the class (GCSE and Add Maths) got the top marks.

Crazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    I got 67. None of the three people that have made the olympiad 4 years in a row (including myself) got into the Maclaurin. However, some of the worst people in the class (GCSE and Add Maths) got the top marks.

Crazy!
    How do you know that for definite?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    How do you know that for definite?
    We had our scores back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    We had our scores back?
    lucky you! i didn't get mine back >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    We had our scores back?
    According to mathcomp.leeds, noone should have it until march 1st?

ReputationRep:
    According to mathcomp.leeds, noone should have it until march 1st?
    I got told mine today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rofflewaffle)
    I got told mine today.
    Oh okay then. This is good . I bet you I accidentally mark the wrong box and don't get the Maclaurin !

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay then. This is good . I bet you I accidentally mark the wrong box and don't get the Maclaurin !
    Good luck, I hope you get what you want

I got gold Which i'm happy with considering i'm still year 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rofflewaffle)
    Good luck, I hope you get what you want

I got gold Which i'm happy with considering i'm still year 10.
    Impressive! Think I got a gold last year , and one of the kangaroo papers, can't remember which one.

ReputationRep:
    I got to the Kangaroooooo this year. First attempt at the IMC and imo it's more difficult than the SMC
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One of my Year 11s scored 122. I know - I thought that was unreasonably high too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    One of my Year 11s scored 122. I know - I thought that was unreasonably high too!
    Wow! Only about 10 of our Year 11 took it (it wasn't compulsory) but the top 60 in year 9 and 10 took it too. I think I should have 98 so I will hopefully squeeze into the Maclaurin, though it's a lot easier than BMO1!

ReputationRep:
    You guys are oh so bright this year i got my first and only award in a math challenge a Silver im very pleased since my school is **** i can second overall with the guy who came first narrowly missing GOLD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akbar2k7)
    You guys are oh so bright this year i got my first and only award in a math challenge a Silver im very pleased since my school is **** i can second overall with the guy who came first narrowly missing GOLD.
    ooo you live in walthomstow? Im from wanstead

firstly silver is NOT bad, it puts you in the top 20% of the country. Also, if you really want to do better, grab the subject by the balls. Your teachers arent driving you hard enough so clearly you need to drive yourself harder. Get a few books (im sure your parents will buy them for you - its for your education), start doing past papers and you'll find that you improve incredibly quickly (sounds sad, so judging by where you live, I wouldn't start telling everybody . I used to be in the same situation, I liked maths but I wasnt being pushed - so I sorted it out myself

If I were you I wouldnt focus on A-level stuff since you'll do that anyway (providing you weant to do a-level maths). You need to broaden your knowledge of maths outside the curriculum (although you'll probably crossover at some point).

This is of course all if you do want to outstrip your peers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobedotty)
    ooo you live in walthomstow? Im from wanstead

firstly silver is NOT bad, it puts you in the top 20% of the country. Also, if you really want to do better, grab the subject by the balls. Your teachers arent driving you hard enough so clearly you need to drive yourself harder. Get a few books (im sure your parents will buy them for you - its for your education), start doing past papers and you'll find that you improve incredibly quickly (sounds sad, so judging by where you live, I wouldn't start telling everybody . I used to be in the same situation, I liked maths but I wasnt being pushed - so I sorted it out myself

If I were you I wouldnt focus on A-level stuff since you'll do that anyway (providing you weant to do a-level maths). You need to broaden your knowledge of maths outside the curriculum (although you'll probably crossover at some point).

This is of course all if you do want to outstrip your peers...
    There is no real curriculum in Maths Challenges. Instead, it relies on using unconvential ideas and unique ways of thinking to get the answers. Many questions don't require difficult concepts it's just how you deal with the question. It does take practice though, and past papers are key with most things maths-related.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.