The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Groat
I got 67. None of the three people that have made the olympiad 4 years in a row (including myself) got into the Maclaurin. However, some of the worst people in the class (GCSE and Add Maths) got the top marks.

Crazy!

How do you know that for definite?
Reply 181
Small123
How do you know that for definite?

We had our scores back?
Reply 182
Groat
We had our scores back?

lucky you! i didn't get mine back >_<
Groat
We had our scores back?

According to mathcomp.leeds, noone should have it until march 1st?
Small123
According to mathcomp.leeds, noone should have it until march 1st?

I got told mine today.
rofflewaffle
I got told mine today.

Oh okay then. This is good :smile:. I bet you I accidentally mark the wrong box and don't get the Maclaurin :frown:!
Small123
Oh okay then. This is good :smile:. I bet you I accidentally mark the wrong box and don't get the Maclaurin :frown:!

Good luck, I hope you get what you want :h:

I got gold :smile: Which i'm happy with considering i'm still year 10.
rofflewaffle
Good luck, I hope you get what you want :h:

I got gold :smile: Which i'm happy with considering i'm still year 10.

Impressive! Think I got a gold last year :smile:, and one of the kangaroo papers, can't remember which one.
I got to the Kangaroooooo this year. First attempt at the IMC and imo it's more difficult than the SMC :s-smilie:
One of my Year 11s scored 122. I know - I thought that was unreasonably high too!
Mr M
One of my Year 11s scored 122. I know - I thought that was unreasonably high too!

Wow! Only about 10 of our Year 11 took it (it wasn't compulsory) but the top 60 in year 9 and 10 took it too. I think I should have 98 so I will hopefully squeeze into the Maclaurin, though it's a lot easier than BMO1!
You guys are oh so bright this year i got my first and only award in a math challenge a Silver im very pleased since my school is **** i can second overall with the guy who came first narrowly missing GOLD.
Akbar2k7
You guys are oh so bright this year i got my first and only award in a math challenge a Silver im very pleased since my school is **** i can second overall with the guy who came first narrowly missing GOLD.

ooo you live in walthomstow? Im from wanstead :biggrin:

firstly silver is NOT bad, it puts you in the top 20% of the country. Also, if you really want to do better, grab the subject by the balls. Your teachers arent driving you hard enough so clearly you need to drive yourself harder. Get a few books (im sure your parents will buy them for you - its for your education), start doing past papers and you'll find that you improve incredibly quickly (sounds sad, so judging by where you live, I wouldn't start telling everybody . I used to be in the same situation, I liked maths but I wasnt being pushed - so I sorted it out myself

If I were you I wouldnt focus on A-level stuff since you'll do that anyway (providing you weant to do a-level maths). You need to broaden your knowledge of maths outside the curriculum (although you'll probably crossover at some point).

This is of course all if you do want to outstrip your peers...
Tobedotty
ooo you live in walthomstow? Im from wanstead :biggrin:

firstly silver is NOT bad, it puts you in the top 20% of the country. Also, if you really want to do better, grab the subject by the balls. Your teachers arent driving you hard enough so clearly you need to drive yourself harder. Get a few books (im sure your parents will buy them for you - its for your education), start doing past papers and you'll find that you improve incredibly quickly (sounds sad, so judging by where you live, I wouldn't start telling everybody . I used to be in the same situation, I liked maths but I wasnt being pushed - so I sorted it out myself

If I were you I wouldnt focus on A-level stuff since you'll do that anyway (providing you weant to do a-level maths). You need to broaden your knowledge of maths outside the curriculum (although you'll probably crossover at some point).

This is of course all if you do want to outstrip your peers...

There is no real curriculum in Maths Challenges. Instead, it relies on using unconvential ideas and unique ways of thinking to get the answers. Many questions don't require difficult concepts it's just how you deal with the question. It does take practice though, and past papers are key with most things maths-related.
How did everyone do?
How did you find the paper this year? Easier or harder than last year?

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 195
Didn't do it (I only compete in Senior) but i'd love to see the paper if somebody has it.

I'll try and arrange some solutions if somebody can upload it.

Good luck to all but most people don't really take it serious, atleast I only did it for fun.

:biggrin:
*MJ*
Didn't do it (I only compete in Senior) but i'd love to see the paper if somebody has it.

I'll try and arrange some solutions if somebody can upload it.

Good luck to all but most people don't really take it serious, atleast I only did it for fun.

:biggrin:

i think you can go on the website and get the paper!:smile:
Reply 197
tennisgirl1994
i think you can go on the website and get the paper!:smile:

I'll have a look later, then. :smile:

Good luck with your Chemist dream. :woo:

Chemistry. :love:
[QUOTE=*MJ*Good luck to all but most people don't really take it serious :D

Tell that to the people who qualify from it to the IMOK and subsequently do well enough to end up in the IMO squad when they are in year 11.
What's the IMOK?

Latest