The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
Falcon91
Gametes: IA or IB times by Io
F1 possibilities - IAIO or IBIO (O is recessive so Baby is B or A, 50% chance of either)

Probably being stupid here but what's I?
Reply 2941
babyblue92
lactose present:
lactose binds to repressor protein and changes shape of active site
RNA polymerase binds to promoter region
allows transcription of Mrna and translation of beta-galactosidase and lactose permease which increases lactose uptake and breaks lactose into galactose and glucose to be used in respiration to release energy.

No lactose
regulatory gene synthesises repressor protein
binds to operator region and slightly blocks active site of promoter region.
RNA polymerase cannot bind
No translation and transcription of enzymes

Perfection - thanks :smile:
Reply 2942
aimz08

Its just the chromosome that the blood group alleles are found on.
aimz08

I represents the allele for the I blood type
Falcon91
Gametes: IA or IB times by Io
F1 possibilities - IAIO or IBIO (O is recessive so Baby is B or A, 50% chance of either)

so it can be A... mark scheme says B
Reply 2945
student92
so it can be A... mark scheme says B

Your not doing this one where it says work out the childrens genotype from 3 different parents are you? Because thats why it eliminates one already as it (A blood group) definately belongs to another one.

Anyway i hope your okay with genetic crosses, gna go revise module 4. Back in a bit people, good luck.
student92
Someone run me down the Galapagos Islands stuff please?

The only things you need to know about the Galapagos Islands are the ways it has been affected by human activity. Sooo...

1. Explorers and sailors eat the organisms, reducing their population (duh).
e.g. giant tortoises on Floreana Island made extinct

2. Non-native animals eat native organisms, reducing their population (again).
e.g. pigs destroy iguana's nests and eat their eggs

3. Non-native plants outcompete native organisms, reducing their population (see a pattern emerging?).
e.g. quinine trees are much taller, and so grow further for sunlight and shadow other plants

4. Fishing has damaged the sea life by... guess.
e.g. hammerhead sharks have been overfished. Yes that's a real word. Galapagos green turtles get stuck in the fishing nets and are now endangered

5. Increases in tourism caused an increase in development.
e.g. Baltra Island airport is being redeveloped to accommodate more, so more land is cleared and pollution increased

6. Population (humans, this time) increased as a result of increased tourism (makes sense - you go somewhere, you like it, you stay there). This has the POTENTIAL to lead to more damage to the ecosystem.
Falcon91
Man im spamming this thread, i should go revise synoptics but i just dont think its worth it lol

Anyway
-Giant Tortoises used for food and taken from island, endangered i.e. lonesome george
-Overfishing of sea cucumbers and shark fins
-Pollution due to oil spill
-Land clearance for agriculture and buildings are population increased

-Species introduced such as feral goats, outcompete tortoises, trample + eat a unique species of plant + overlap in niche so compete
-Goats also cause forest to be destroyed and turns to grass field so soil erosion takes place
-Foreign pests
-Red quinine tree outcompetes man native trees and so species diversity lost

Measures to counter:
-Quarantine system, any boats etc arriving on island are checked
-Education of local and encouraging conservation 'culture'
-Exploitation of control release of certain predators to remove certain pests
-Culling of feral goats

Btw lol noodlecookie, im just panicking like no tomorrow now, answering everyons questions ASAP. :P gna go revise methinks -.-

Great work there but here take an advice from me(did the same for f214 lol and 215) better kick on as much stuff as you can and... post here only IF in doubt. )
See you later! :wink:
Reply 2948
I know a silent mutation produces no change but what is the definition of a silent mutation?
Would anyone care to explain the bread wheat stuff to me? How you artificially select bread wheat or something?

Please?
Falcon91
Your not doing this one where it says work out the childrens genotype from 3 different parents are you? Because thats why it eliminates one already as it (A blood group) definately belongs to another one.

Anyway i hope your okay with genetic crosses, gna go revise module 4. Back in a bit people, good luck.

no different question
Falcon91

Btw lol noodlecookie, im just panicking like no tomorrow now, answering everyons questions ASAP. :P gna go revise methinks -.-

What are you talking about? This is my revision! lol :biggrin:

I've got a CGP book in front of me, a set of pens and some Lucozade, and i'm flicking between this and the book... seems to be working!
If possible could someone explain muscle contraction to me? I sort of understand it, but now I've confused myself. Especially about calcium ions and the neuromuscular junction or whatever it's called.
Reflex
I know a silent mutation produces no change but what is the definition of a silent mutation?

Silent mutations are DNA mutations that do not result in a change to the amino acid sequence of a protein. They occur in a non-coding region that does not alter the final amino acid sequence.
Does anyone know anything about wheat bread or does everyone just hate me in this thread lol?
Reply 2955
Two contradictory posts about I....I am thinking 1st post is the right one as I've not heard of I blood group
The TSR Star.
Would anyone care to explain the bread wheat stuff to me? How you artificially select bread wheat or something?

please?

Domestication of wild einkorn(AuAu)

Einkorn mated with wild grass (BB) producing a sterile hybrid(AuB)

Random mutation doubled chromosome as they can undergo polyploidy

Emmer wheat (AuAuBB) mates with goat grass (DD)

Sterile hybrid produced (AuBD)

Polyploidy occurs and doubles chromosome number which leads to Common wheat being produced

The TSR Star.
Does anyone know anything about wheat bread or does everyone just hate me in this thread lol?

I hope everyone hasn't turned against you for stretching the page lol!!

I don't know what exactly you want me to explain about wheat bread... do you mean plant cloning in agriculture or artificial selection?
aimz08
Two contradictory posts about I....I am thinking 1st post is the right one as I've not heard of I blood group

I isn't a blood group, I is the thing (gene) that carries the blood group O, A, B or AB (allele).

Haha, that sounds funny out of context :p: I isn't a blood group
Falcon91

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending