The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

Thats not the right paper code =/
Reply 3541
:facepalm: OCR, the exam board that gives you a lot of space when only a little is needed and a little when you have plenty to write. I couldn't even fit much on the essay question on genes and homeobox, had to get some paper from the invigilators.
pgreg1
But it could be a competitive inhibitor and therefore has a similar structure to Dopamine.
indeed, however if it had a similar structure to dopamine it would also bind to the postsynaptic dopamine receptors and it does not, and therefore it must be a non-competitive inhibitor. Thanks to all replies! I can't figure out how to quote all 4 so i'll just say @you all. :smile:
Reply 3543
how many marks would Transmissions electron microscope. would i get 1 mark for saying electron microscope?

i think i will get a low B in this exam.
Reply 3544
pgreg1
But it could be a competitive inhibitor and therefore has a similar structure to Dopamine.

but in the qu it didn't say it bound to the receptor site but it did in the other two chemicals so it was prob suggesting it was non competetive inhibitor
Reply 3545
Mrcarrot
indeed, however if it had a similar structure to dopamine it would also bind to the postsynaptic dopamine receptors and it does not, and therefore it must be a non-competitive inhibitor. Thanks to all replies! I can't figure out how to quote all 4 so i'll just say @you all. :smile:

Doesn't it? I thought the question just said that it activated the Dopamine receptors. A lot of these molecules work by binding to the receptors and changing the shape of them so they are complementary to neurotransmitter - and are therefore 'activated'.

Ah well :frown:.
treesaregreenandtall
Thats not the right paper code =/

Sorted :P
pgreg1

lol yeah this is what i thought, so i put down ph... lol cannot remember exactly what i put down:s-smilie:
AnthonyShock
Sorted :P

Joined =]
Reply 3549
Phenelzine and Pheniprazine are the names from the exam (I think). So go ahead and look up if they're non-competitive inhibitors.
Reply 3550
A100whoo
Ecosystem, Producer, Primary, Trophic Level, living, nutrients!

i wrote 'trapped energy' for the last missing word. cos that's what it said in the book so i learnt it as that.

and yay i put living too :smile:
Reply 3551
Remarqable M
lol yeah this is what i thought, so i put down ph... lol cannot remember exactly what i put down:s-smilie:

Hang on didnt the question say choose one which had a DIFFERENT shape to dopamine? Cuz i put amphetamine since it binds to receptors to open them like Na+ does.....so doesnt have to be same shape??
smflesh
What did you all put for the 4 marker which asked you to describe the graph with gibberellins?

ermm said gibberellins cause seed germinations, they can dissolve in water so get to the cell. Then said that weird acid inhibits gibberellins causing no seed germination. Couldn't think of anything else.
Mrcarrot
i hate it when your post goes to the bottom of a page...:

The question "which drug is not similar to dopamine structurally" was a bit thought-provoking however, as they all at least bound to one thing which dopamine did, suggesting a similar structure. I went for the MAO repressing one.

Thoughts, anyone?

Same went for MAO repressing as you can inhibit enzymes in other ways apart from binding to their active site, but I don't think you can block receptors in any other ways apart from binding to their active site.
dopeyangel101
i put transmission coz i couldn't like straight lol.

Tinkerbelle, i see you said i'm near you, where exactly are you then? anyone else from Dorset or even Poole?

on so onto the chemistry revision for tomorrow :/

Yep, Bournemouth :smile:

hahahah thats amazing! i shall join when i get my facebook back..after my psyc exam on 30th :smile:
Darthdevidem
ermm said gibberellins cause seed germinations, they can dissolve in water so get to the cell. Then said that weird acid inhibits gibberellins causing no seed germination. Couldn't think of anything else.

It didn't ask to explain, just describe.

- With absinsic acid treatment, there is no seed germination even with increased conc of gibberellin, so it inhibits seed germination.
-With water treatment, without any gibberellins there is around 10% seed germination occuring.
-With water treatment, with an increase in gibberelin conc, there is an increase in seed germination
-At 5 moldm-3 of gibberellin for the water treatment 100% seed germination.
-Gibberellins therefore promote seed germination, and absinsic acid inhibits it.

That should be 4 marks. No need to explain.
CHILLIN-DRAGON
i wrote a paragraph explaining how polypeptides are made.

then i talked about how homeotic genes have regions called homeobox sequences that code for homeodomain, and that its works as the transicription factor , how when its attached to developmental genes its activates of represses transcription of polypeptides involved in the development of the body plan etc

same. I used the Antp example

and guys im sure the answer was scanning electron microscope rather than transmission
thekooks
i wrote 'trapped energy' for the last missing word. cos that's what it said in the book so i learnt it as that.

and yay i put living too :smile:

Isn't it biotic? Not living.
Reply 3559
ViolinGirl
Isn't it biotic? Not living.

biotic is similar to living right? :s-smilie:

the missing words question was the best one on the paper! anyone know how many marks it was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending