The Student Room Group

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment

Scroll to see replies

DR_X
my biology teacher wrote this paper, two years ago......and from her style of teaching, I can 99% promise, it will be nothing like the jan paper......

Lol bit of an unfair advantage.
Oh and to everyone else my class has only covered transcription so far...
DR_X
Yeah........

and on the side note, not that I do geology but my school's head of geology also wrote the A2 jan geology paper.........

I'm at an awesome school......:p:

:eek:

What school are you at?! That's awesome.
Remarqable M
i think march 12th or 14th:biggrin:
your subject teachers will be the first to receive your results.

yea c:P
DR_X
Yeah........

and on the side note, not that I do geology but my school's head of geology also wrote the A2 jan geology paper.........

I'm at an awesome school......:p:

Great
Meh :frown: ... i got biology notes to make for tomorrow.
Main laws to remember in variation and having constant frequency of alleles are: Law of Segregation and Law of independent Assortment.Also whats the difference between genes and alleles.Gene(which codes for a polypeptide) is the location in the dna whereas alleles are different genetic locus which give out a phenotype.
lol ibysaiyan - 4 posts? you appear to be having a conversation with yourself :wink:
I got 3/8 in a mini quiz today and I also have to redo my A2 practical assessment again due to getting 26/40. :bawling: :sigh:

I'm too dumb for this thread. :emo:
Tinkerbelle &#9829
lol ibysaiyan - 4 posts? you appear to be having a conversation with yourself :wink:

yea i get those moments alot, accompany myself LOL...:smile:
I Have No Imagination
I got 3/8 in a mini quiz today and I also have to redo my A2 practical assessment again due to getting 26/40. :bawling: :sigh:

I'm too dumb for this thread. :emo:

Pftt still way better than what i got 11/40, resit is definitely due in fact max in our college was 25... sucks
ibysaiyan
Pftt still way better than what i got 11/40, resit is definitely due in fact max in our college was 25... sucks

Oh damn, the max in our college was like 39!! So I was a disappointment. lol.
I hate practicals so much, exams are my thing. :'(
My resit is going to be on enzymes, I'm hoping that's going to go better.
I Have No Imagination
Oh damn, the max in our college was like 39!! So I was a disappointment. lol.
I hate practicals so much, exams are my thing. :'(
My resit is going to be on enzymes, I'm hoping that's going to go better.

Yea , i am gonna hit for max this time.

RAWR
Today we did stuff on melanin, epistatic,and chi squared. =)
Where chi squared is nothing but an imaginary Greek letter xD. Ermm from what i remember its equal to: sigma(O-E)^2/E
Where O is Observed Value, E being Expected.So as long as you get the result value close to 5% probability your theory is valid, if its above that critical value invalid.
Oh yea also about alleles in rats. Strangely (bb) being for black rats ( which initially i thought would be BB as its just too common lol) we dont need to know all that just the basic principle of epistatic. Where one gene controls over the next dependent gene(hypostatic).So it all starts from the existence of melanin.The way melanin is handled is by the gene A. This gene works on the melanin as to get different colors such as agouti and black.Before melanin being used by gene A comes another Gene called B. Gene B programs enzyme trypsinase(don't need to know that) which modifies trypsin into melanin. So for albinos we have allele bb as they don't produce melanin, hence trypsin->melanin doesn't occur.(for it to happen there least need to be a dominant B allele).
:smile:
Wow where did everyone go? =/
I'm here lol i was so busy with college had no time to contribute:frown: but i will soon:smile:
ibysaiyan
Wow where did everyone go? =/

what did you study so far?
Had my practical today. Testing the rate on anaerobic respiration in yeast using different respiratory substrates. Fairly straight forward :smile: Much prefer quantative to qualitative :smile:
Remarqable M
what did you study so far?

Almost done with meiosis and variation stuff ... all about epsistatic genes, rats, mice blood groups most of it, chi squared test.
Tinkerbelle &#9829
Had my practical today. Testing the rate on anaerobic respiration in yeast using different respiratory substrates. Fairly straight forward :smile: Much prefer quantative to qualitative :smile:

hmm did you have all three at once or was it just qualitative /quantitative?Hope you did good grr i cant wait for mine lol
ibysaiyan
hmm did you have all three at once or was it just qualitative /quantitative?Hope you did good grr i cant wait for mine lol

Thanks. Got my compulsory Isle of Wight trip next weekend so I've got another one to do very soon :biggrin: haa.

Nope not all 3, just did the one. Our teacher spreads them all out nicely usually. Was just quantitative :smile:
skatealexia
Done all the start of ecyosystems and all biotech.

how far are you on biotech?

so far in my class we have covered biotech+ a bit of As unit 2 - module 1+ 2 recap, and that is all really lol but i like to stay ahead of the game and so started to do some readings(nothin intensive) on module one as i find genetics much more interesting than biotech:p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending