The Student Room Group

Mentoring For Smartest Students Is Wrong

I think it's wrong smart people(thoses with a*expected grades) will get by this is just teachers securing their grades teachers should concentrate on trying to get everyone above or to a C grade average.what about the people who are getting bellow this,from my experence more mentoring is concentrated towards the A* students why there is no real need they always seem to benifit more than the people who generally need mentoring.
What do you guys think?, is it just me and my marxist thinking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
TIGTIG
I think it's wrong smart people(thoses with a*expected grades) will get by this is just teachers securing their grades teachers should concentrate on trying to get everyone above or to a C grade average.what about the people who are getting bellow this,from my experence more mentoring is concentrated towards the A* students why there is no real need they always seem to benifit more than the people who generally need mentoring.
What do you guys think?, is it just me and my marxist thinking?

Its just i used to strugle because i never got enough mentring 1 hour a week and these a* students would bost about the fact school provided them with a mentoring class and hour sessions like i got and a personal tutor that went to their house.
Reply 2
Mentoring? eh? :confused:
Reply 3
Those students are gunning for the top few places in the country
Reply 4
How about mentoring for those who aren't achieving the grades they could achieve. That way bright and slower kids who weren't doing their best could get help and those people, regardless of their ability, who were doing their best ( if that's even measurable ) would just be left to get on with it.
Reply 5
Toyosi
How about mentoring for those who aren't achieving the grades they could achieve. That way bright and slower kids who weren't doing their best could get help and those people, regardless of their ability, who were doing their best ( if that's even measurable ) would just be left to get on with it.

Thats kinda what i'm getting at but we slower students get less mentoring 'learning support' then the 'top' of the range students
there well above the average yes this support could get them to higher places but to what extent 'disadvantaging slower students' i mean you cant get no higher than an a*
Reply 6
Toyosi

i.e. let the best strand whilst getting teh worst to up a grade. A good idea. But why dont we ask the schools why they do that?
Reply 7
Those students are gunning for the top few places in the country

to what extent though whats saying the slower students have'nt got the same hidden capibility as the smart ones,think about it if they started from the very beining of school with tones of mentoring and us slower people got none/not as much, is this fair?
whats saying if slower people got same amount of mentoring that they could also excell. you got to ask your self why is there this grade barrier between students in the first place.........
Reply 8
what about the brighter students helping bring on the weaker students? just a thought
Reply 9
i.e. let the best strand whilst getting teh worst to up a grade. A good idea. But why dont we ask the schools why they do that?

I've asked several school councils why they do this they say its securing the high grades to give the school a good reputation and the government also back this up trying to encourage a greater potental in students???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
do you find this fair now?
Reply 10
The world needs clever people as much as it needs practical people. But at a guess I'd say nuclear science was harder than plumbing. Both very important, afterall nobody likes a blocked toilet but people who are aiming for the top need more help cause it's more difficult.
Generally, the less intelligent students won't need the education anyway - they will end up in jobs requiring practical skills where grades don't matter. I think that from a utilitarian standpoint, teachers should make an effort to stretch brighter students who could end up as doctors or engineers, for example.
Reply 12
Harry Potter
Generally, the less intelligent students won't need the education anyway - they will end up in jobs requiring practical skills where grades don't matter. I think that from a utilitarian standpoint, teachers should make an effort to stretch brighter students who could end up as doctors or engineers, for example.

Harsh but true
Reply 13
I think mentoring should be available to bigger boned students too!
Reply 14
TIGTIG
I'm doing as levels now i'm a year older than students in my class most of my fellow students are the a* average students who got mentoring they still bost about what help they got.I'd get a few questions a teacher asked me wrong they would laugh, i also missed a lesson and asked people what i'd missed,i missed homework so I asked and they said to me ohhhh i cant remember? next day a fellow a* student asked what homework she'd missed they told her everything gave her notes.
I just hate the attitude a* students have with me i mean i went out my way to tell them about homework they missed and this is how they repay me. It's like they're always in a compotition with each other they dont help one another their attitude being ohhh well i get mentoring for this why should i share my knowledge

Yes, successful students are very competitive.
Reply 15
Harry Potter

bull shit we are capible of so much more i revised my ass of to prove a point Im still gonna prove my point teachers predicted i would get E grades Im sat here now with 1b 7cs 2ds and 1E(lol history) I'm doing as levs now and im capible of a BBC so just imagine where i would have been with extra mentoring.
Reply 16
Toyosi
The world needs clever people as much as it needs practical people. But at a guess I'd say nuclear science was harder than plumbing. Both very important, afterall nobody likes a blocked toilet but people who are aiming for the top need more help cause it's more difficult.

yeah- i think there is a problem with us telling people that university is the only route. south korea set out on a mission a decade ago to bring the number of people going to university up. they had fantastic success with this policy. a vast vast amount of the korean population now go to university. success? no.

they spent the best part of a generation, and so much time and energy promoting the benefits of university that they neglected the rest of their society. now in south korea there are no plumbers. there are no labourers. there are massive skills shortages in the primary sector. you now have a society of people with university degrees. great. they're not worth the paper they're written on.

yes- give help to the high flyers. but for goodness sake lets not neglect the grass roots of our society by forcing the message down people's throats that university is the only way. it isn't. we should be talking about helping whichever person in what they are best at. because we need them all. so yes, helping your high flyer is important. but it is no less important than helping a plumber become a plumber. forcing academia down people's throats is a road fraught with danger. we have seen it all over the world.

my problem with this thread in general is the way we are looking at getting society's plumbers to C grade in GCSE, and mentoring them to get there. No. If people are best at plumbing, we should be helping them toward the top end of a vocational qualification (a meaningful vocational qualification), not the mid-end of an academic qualification. Mentor people in what they are best at. Don't force an academic route upon people and don't tell society that university is the only way. And don't only mentor the academically bright. Mentor the vocationally bright as well. But mentor them in appropriate things.
Reply 17
Bhaal85
I think mentoring should be available to bigger boned students too!

lol did you get mentoring
TIGTIG
I'm doing as levels now i'm a year older than students in my class most of my fellow students are the a* average students who got mentoring they still bost about what help they got.I'd get a few questions a teacher asked me wrong they would laugh, i also missed a lesson and asked people what i'd missed,i missed homework so I asked and they said to me ohhhh i cant remember? next day a fellow a* student asked what homework she'd missed they told her everything gave her notes.
I just hate the attitude a* students have with me i mean i went out my way to tell them about homework they missed and this is how they repay me. It's like they're always in a compotition with each other they dont help one another their attitude being ohhh well i get mentoring for this why should i share my knowledge

I think you just happen to know a few nasty people. I don't think all brainy students are like that.
Reply 19
TIGTIG
lol did you get mentoring

Just playing. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending