The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Advice on a situation

HELP..
1st year midwifery student here. I am writing for some advice. So, I’m on my 6th week of placement (in total), so very new at this. I have 2 mentors in my community placement that I don’t feel really like me. Both have commented on the fact that I’m giggly and have deemed it inappropriate behaviour. I was doing a book in for a lady today, she was with her partner we were all having a laugh and chat whilst I was doing it. I feel like I can read the room and reciprocated the energy i got from them.

my mentor pulled me up afterwards and said I was unprofessional and she as a midwife felt uncomfortable sitting there. I am very upset by this. Didn’t really know what to say apart from apologise. Not even because I was hurt but she said that these women are putting their trust in us and I come across really unprofessional, and I didn’t want to make women feel uncomfortable or worried etc.

I am very bubbly and jolly, I of course can change if the situation is serious or I’m actively listening etc, like I don’t just burst into laughter for nothing. I’m scared now as I don’t feel like I can change. I don’t feel as if I was doing anything wrong? So now I’m wondering if there is something wrong with me? Am I deluded that I can’t see I’m doing something I shouldn’t be doing? Do I have a condition I don’t know about?

does anyone have any advice or opinion on what I can do to be better? Or understand if I’m being unprofessional? Thankyou x
Original post by Evz2000
HELP..
1st year midwifery student here. I am writing for some advice. So, I’m on my 6th week of placement (in total), so very new at this. I have 2 mentors in my community placement that I don’t feel really like me. Both have commented on the fact that I’m giggly and have deemed it inappropriate behaviour. I was doing a book in for a lady today, she was with her partner we were all having a laugh and chat whilst I was doing it. I feel like I can read the room and reciprocated the energy i got from them.

my mentor pulled me up afterwards and said I was unprofessional and she as a midwife felt uncomfortable sitting there. I am very upset by this. Didn’t really know what to say apart from apologise. Not even because I was hurt but she said that these women are putting their trust in us and I come across really unprofessional, and I didn’t want to make women feel uncomfortable or worried etc.

I am very bubbly and jolly, I of course can change if the situation is serious or I’m actively listening etc, like I don’t just burst into laughter for nothing. I’m scared now as I don’t feel like I can change. I don’t feel as if I was doing anything wrong? So now I’m wondering if there is something wrong with me? Am I deluded that I can’t see I’m doing something I shouldn’t be doing? Do I have a condition I don’t know about?

does anyone have any advice or opinion on what I can do to be better? Or understand if I’m being unprofessional? Thankyou x

Hey - current student and ambassador for the university here.

Sorry to hear about this, have you reached out to your Personal tutor, Practice Assessor and/or Practice Supervisor?

Mostafa
(edited 2 months ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Quick Reply

Latest