The Student Room Group

I'm a college freshman and I fail lots of stuff, what can I do differently?

I failed one presentation because of the group cooperation not going well and the groupmates meeting without me. I know I could've done something about this though. Today I also found out that I failed a math test that I studied very hard for. I studied for 1 week by doing assignments and focusing extra hard on the things I am unsure about. Yet I still failed, and now I am scared that I will fail the final math test too that's in 16 days.

Is this normal, or is my choice of major wrong?
Original post by Nothinghere21
I failed one presentation because of the group cooperation not going well and the groupmates meeting without me. I know I could've done something about this though. Today I also found out that I failed a math test that I studied very hard for. I studied for 1 week by doing assignments and focusing extra hard on the things I am unsure about. Yet I still failed, and now I am scared that I will fail the final math test too that's in 16 days.

Have you established why you failed the maths test, despite the fact that you "studied for 1 week by doing assignments and focusing extra hard on the things I am unsure about".

Did you learn the wrong things? Did you forget what you'd learned? Did you not actually learn it properly? Did you struggle with oddly-worded questions? Did you struggle with timings? Have you spoken to others to see if one week was sufficient for them to learn the content?

It's not unusual to fail a test here and there. The important thing is to learn from the failure, so it doesn't happen too often!
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're struggling with your course!

I'd recommend talking to your personal tutor about your coursemates not co-operating- you might not be the only person struggling with this! Often the first month or so of uni can be difficult for group work, when people are still getting to know each other, and learning how to work together.

For your maths test, have you looked at whether the uni offers tutoring or academic mentoring? If it's the tests you're struggling with, a mentor can be really helpful to improve your exam technique! If it's the course content, see when your academics have office hours, and book in a slot with them to go over any topics you're struggling with.

Uni can be a big step up from sixth form/college, and I remember struggling in my first few exams too! The important thing is to not beat yourself up too much- you've still got plenty of time to learn and improve!

Wishing you all the best in the future!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you're struggling with your course!

I'd recommend talking to your personal tutor about your coursemates not co-operating- you might not be the only person struggling with this! Often the first month or so of uni can be difficult for group work, when people are still getting to know each other, and learning how to work together.

For your maths test, have you looked at whether the uni offers tutoring or academic mentoring? If it's the tests you're struggling with, a mentor can be really helpful to improve your exam technique! If it's the course content, see when your academics have office hours, and book in a slot with them to go over any topics you're struggling with.

Uni can be a big step up from sixth form/college, and I remember struggling in my first few exams too! The important thing is to not beat yourself up too much- you've still got plenty of time to learn and improve!

Wishing you all the best in the future!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate

PRSOM
Original post by Nothinghere21

@Nothinghere21

Group work is really difficult! It sounds like communication was not good and that the people in your group were not respectful of different people's time commitments outside of the project. It would be good to think about what you could have done to have improved this situation, as it's likely you will have to do more group projects at university : (

Did different things come up to what you were expecting on the maths test?

All because you failed one maths test it doesn't mean you are going to fail the next one!

Pace your revision. Talk to your lecturer and get some more feedback on where you went wrong on the first one.

Remember it's early days , so don't panic!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending