The Student Room Group

Placement issues

Hello!
Does anyone with a bad experience with ward placement? Asked to have someone else as a pact assessor because the situation was getting worse and my emotions could not be controlled anymore, I cried more than ever in just 2 weeks of my second placement. The manager was informed, by the student coordinator from the trust, my uni tutor. What I should expect now, anyone can advise me?? Thank you!
Original post by SandaRom
Hello!
Does anyone with a bad experience with ward placement? Asked to have someone else as a pact assessor because the situation was getting worse and my emotions could not be controlled anymore, I cried more than ever in just 2 weeks of my second placement. The manager was informed, by the student coordinator from the trust, my uni tutor. What I should expect now, anyone can advise me?? Thank you!
First thing you'll have to do is discuss the matter with your university course leader and placement officer and they will then discuss it with the ward sister involved with your current placement.

They might decide to put you somewhere else to complete it or ask you to continue with it depending on how long you have left to you finish it or at worst ask you to return to university and then will rearrange this placement for you to do at later date which means you would be failed for this placement 😞😞😞 not the end of the world if this happens as you'll still do it at a later date but where about you do it is up to your university team and placement officer.

Remember that there's very very good placements at every hospital in the UK but unfortunately you'll get a placement that you'll probably hate or staff won't cooperate with students and they forget that they were students themselves.

If you are still doing this particular placement just go in and do whatever you are asked until things are sorted for you.

I never had any bad experiences with ward placement but had a bit of staff bullying which was eventually dealt with outside of the hospital.

Hopefully you will get this sorted out soon 🙂🙂 good luck with your rest of your nursing degree 🤗🤗

Nags registered midwife and mentor/supervisor to student midwives.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
First thing you'll have to do is discuss the matter with your university course leader and placement officer and they will then discuss it with the ward sister involved with your current placement.
They might decide to put you somewhere else to complete it or ask you to continue with it depending on how long you have left to you finish it or at worst ask you to return to university and then will rearrange this placement for you to do at later date which means you would be failed for this placement 😞😞😞 not the end of the world if this happens as you'll still do it at a later date but where about you do it is up to your university team and placement officer.
Remember that there's very very good placements at every hospital in the UK but unfortunately you'll get a placement that you'll probably hate or staff won't cooperate with students and they forget that they were students themselves.
If you are still doing this particular placement just go in and do whatever you are asked until things are sorted for you.
I never had any bad experiences with ward placement but had a bit of staff bullying which was eventually dealt with outside of the hospital.
Hopefully you will get this sorted out soon 🙂🙂 good luck with your rest of your nursing degree 🤗🤗
Nags registered midwife and mentor/supervisor to student midwives.
I have contacted everyone, and my request was to have someone else as a mentor. Just because she is rude to me, makes me feel like I am not good, always saying that I am not doing right. This attitude has put me down mentally and stressed. I have worked well with other nurses, but with my mentor is something else… Hopefully, they will find a solution for me.
I have contacted everyone, and my request was to have someone else as a mentor. Just because she is rude to me, makes me feel like I am not good, always saying that I am not doing right. This attitude has put me down mentally and stressed. I have worked well with other nurses, but with my mentor is something else… Hopefully, they will find a solution for me.
Hi
Unfortunately you can't control people rudeness ( yes it shouldn't be happening as they should be supporting you but don't look like that).
You'll learn from this placement and take it into all your future placements.

You'll probably be a good student nurse and I wouldn't let one person let you down okay, if they saying you not doing things right then ask them to show you what to do first and then you do it.

Try your best not to let it affect you as a student nurse and look forward to getting back to university and then your next placement as you'll probably find that everyone is lot better than your current one.

At least you get on with the other nurses which is good for you ☺️☺️☺️.

Hopefully they will get a resolution sorted out for you soon.
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
Unfortunately you can't control people rudeness ( yes it shouldn't be happening as they should be supporting you but don't look like that).
You'll learn from this placement and take it into all your future placements.
You'll probably be a good student nurse and I wouldn't let one person let you down okay, if they saying you not doing things right then ask them to show you what to do first and then you do it.
Try your best not to let it affect you as a student nurse and look forward to getting back to university and then your next placement as you'll probably find that everyone is lot better than your current one.
At least you get on with the other nurses which is good for you ☺️☺️☺️.
Hopefully they will get a resolution sorted out for you soon.
Thank you! That's why I am trying to keep up. There are nurses who are very nice, and the patient‘s feedback is very good. The e only thing is that I have an assessment and I do not want my mentor to fail me, or add any bad feedback to my things. This is my worry, I can not work with her… her rudeness when looks at me it can be seen… she knows I complained about her and I asked for someone else. I don't understand why they are not doing this if they can see no compatibility.
Thank you! That's why I am trying to keep up. There are nurses who are very nice, and the patient‘s feedback is very good. The e only thing is that I have an assessment and I do not want my mentor to fail me, or add any bad feedback to my things. This is my worry, I can not work with her… her rudeness when looks at me it can be seen… she knows I complained about her and I asked for someone else. I don't understand why they are not doing this if they can see no compatibility.
You are welcome 🤗🤗

Unfortunately nobody can predict what your mentor will do in regards of passing or failing your placement... It's up to your mentor and they will need to give you a good reason for why you been failed so you can sort it out for the repeat placement.
You never know she might be good to you and pass you but see what happens when the time comes.

That's good you've been getting good feedback from the other nurses and some of the patients which is what you want.

Your assessment as you know is in your own hands to complete it and pass it and if you don't answer everything properly/ correctly then you risk failing your assessment.

Don't let it bother you about complaining about her because you did it for a good reason okay.

The university and hospital are expecting both students and qualify staff to work alongside one another without any problems but if they don't know about the problem they can't solve it 😕😕😕.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending