The Student Room Group

Gcse English Retake

Hi i am in year 12 and hoping to retake english lang and lit this summer. My current a levels are:
Pure maths
Further maths
economics
bioloy

I would like to get A* in both maths and economics. So i would like to know how much extra retaking english would add to my work load.

I got a C in lang and a D in lit first time. I was predicted 2 B's but my teachers were poor and i didn't like the subject. Also in my course work i got high B's.

I am hoping to get 2 A*'s to improve my Gcse results, so what exam board do you reccomend and how would you revise english to get an A* i got about 4-5 months till exam times.

All help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
:s-smilie: Bump
Well, I would suggest reading any challenging piece of literature you find and just aim to improve your general writing skills. Practise! For the language, try doing papers and setting yourself random story assignments (Off the top of my head "Base a story around the the title "A knock on the door" ect.). Slightly less sure on the Literature (I'm in the process of doing it now =) ), but I would say learn your quotes + notes.
Advice based on an A* in early entry Language and the fact that i'm currently doing the English Lit course.
It helps to have good coursework. You will need to practice reading a variety of non-fiction and media texts as well as plenty of writing practice. It is important to look at the assessment objectives because these are the criteria that your work will be judged against. Try also to get hold of some past papers and do them under exam conditions. I recommend the AQA A specification because there are excellent support materials, but you need to do this through a school or college.

Latest